AMBER ALERT TN - Summer Moon-Utah Wells, 5, Rogersville, 15 Jun 2021 #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree with what you are saying, however add in DV and we have even more concern. I have no idea how I would behave should I have a missing 5 year old, child or grandbaby. The grief could drive a person crazy and do crazy things. However, no child should be in the care of an adult that is going through this. Not sure anyone has the solution, my best guess would be therapy for the adults.

But we know that DV was an issue prior to Summer going missing, right ? So, for me personally, I find it hard to attribute yet another incident of DV to the stress of having a missing child. Mind you, that certainly can't help. But if I were looking for common denominators between this incident and the one from 2020 (because those are really the only ones I feel safe to mention here ) it would be drugs/alcohol. I find it extremely hard to believe that drug/alcohol treatment wouldn't be a requirement for reunification with the remaining children who have been removed from the home, but I honestly don't know the first thing about CPS , so maybe I'm mistaken in that thought. I dunno. Either way, it doesn't appear to me that either Don or Candus have any genuine desire to get clean. It's sad and hard to watch, even from a distance. :(

Grandma's initials are CH. Her name is Candus Harer.

Summer's mother's initials are CB, CBW, or CW depending on who is writing. Candus Bly Wells is her name. In early news reports she was using Candus Bly.

I don't know if she has changed her mind and is going by CW.

As far as i know, CB/CBW/CW is married to DW. She calls him her husband. Common law marriage is not a thing in Tennessee. (Eta i think there might have been a report of the year and state where they married, but i don't recall where it was published, but it was years ago, obviously.)

I usually call Summer's mother CB because one of the early news reports said she went by that.

I could not remember the CH, thank you!

A lot of people addicted to drugs and alcohol only care about drugs and alcohol. When they start caring about other things, they either get clean and get help or they dive deeper into their addictions (self-medicating).

I doubt they will ever get the boys back to be honest.

I have a lawyer question. I am not asking about this case specifically because there's a gag order.

If more than one child (2, 3, 4, doesn't matter) who have the same parents and live in the same home are removed by the state is that one case encompassing however many children or is an individual case opened per child? Or does this vary depending on various factors?

I do not mean to speculate on this exact case, it's just this case made me wonder how things are generally handled legally.

But we know that DV was an issue prior to Summer going missing, right ? So, for me personally, I find it hard to attribute yet another incident of DV to the stress of having a missing child. Mind you, that certainly can't help. But if I were looking for common denominators between this incident and the one from 2020 (because those are really the only ones I feel safe to mention here ) it would be drugs/alcohol. I find it extremely hard to believe that drug/alcohol treatment wouldn't be a requirement for reunification with the remaining children who have been removed from the home, but I honestly don't know the first thing about CPS , so maybe I'm mistaken in that thought. I dunno. Either way, it doesn't appear to me that either Don or Candus have any genuine desire to get clean. It's sad and hard to watch, even from a distance. :(
I agree. The lives of the W family is a sad, cautionary tale of how substances can destroy a family. As it is said, substance abuse only leads to jails, institutions, or death. But I've seen people I wouldn't have bet a nickel on make unexpected, miraculous recoveries, and others go down hill in the blink of an eye. Substance abuse is an ugly taker of a disease.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I agree. The lives of the W family is a sad, cautionary tale of how substances can destroy a family. As it is said, substance abuse only leads to jails, institutions, or death. But I've seen people I wouldn't have bet a nickel on make unexpected, miraculous recoveries, and others go down hill in the blink of an eye. Substance abuse is an ugly taker of a disease.

Amateur opinion and speculation

This is just my opinion, but as a successful 25 year recovering addict, it does come from experience. Addicts never have a desire to give up their drug of choice. What we do have a desire to do is to stop living with the consequences of our drug addiction, whether it's the violence that often accompanies addiction, or jail time, or death, etc. etc. The reason we call it a battle is because our desire for our drug of choice and our desire to change our circumstances is a constant push/pull. When you add another addict into the mix, it creates even more of a push/pull dynamic. That is why most successful recovering addicts advise addicts new to recovery to remove themselves entirely from anyone who still uses or who still struggles in their recovery. Unfortunately, that often includes partners, family members, best friends, etc. Which is a long introduction to my thoughts about The Wells. This is a toxic relationship, imo, and it would probably be a toxic relationship without adding drug/alcohol issues . But it is absolutely a ticking time bomb with the addiction issues tossed into the mix. I don't see a better future for either of them unless they separate and work on their recoveries individually. Sadly, I don't see this happening. The relationship is so co-dependent at this point that the only way I see one of them surviving it is if the other one is forcibly removed from the situation ( whether that's jail time or something far worse ). Like I said, it's hard to watch, even from a safe emotional distance.

All MOO, of course.

Last edited:
This is just my opinion, but as a successful 25 year recovering addict, it does come from experience. Addicts never have a desire to give up their drug of choice. What we do have a desire to do is to stop living with the consequences of our drug addiction, whether it's the violence that often accompanies addiction, or jail time, or death, etc. etc. The reason we call it a battle is because our desire for our drug of choice and our desire to change our circumstances is a constant push/pull. When you add another addict into the mix, it creates even more of a push/pull dynamic. That is why most successful recovering addicts advise addicts new to recovery to remove themselves entirely from anyone who still uses or who still struggles in their recovery. Unfortunately, that often includes partners, family members, best friends, etc. Which is a long introduction to my thoughts about The Wells. This is a toxic relationship, imo, and it would probably be a toxic relationship without adding drug/alcohol issues . But it is absolutely a ticking time bomb with the addiction issues tossed into the mix. I don't see a better future for either of them unless they separate and work on their recoveries individually. Sadly, I don't see this happening. The relationship is so co-dependent at this point that the only way I see one of them surviving it is if the other one is forcibly removed from the situation ( whether that's jail time or something far worse ). Like I said, it's hard to watch, even from a safe emotional distance.

All MOO, of course.

Wow! 25 years! Good going!

What truly bothers me is that I don't seem to see a lot of intervention in this situation. Not to be judgmental or anything, but if we know these things are going on, surely their church knows it...surely social services knows it...surely LE knows it. I don't see anyone forcing these people to face the cold hard reality of their choices, and it really makes me wonder why. Especially with respect to LE.

But that's a can of worms I won't open here...for obvious reasons.

What truly bothers me is that I don't seem to see a lot of intervention in this situation. Not to be judgmental or anything, but if we know these things are going on, surely their church knows it...surely social services knows it...surely LE knows it. I don't see anyone forcing these people to face the cold hard reality of their choices, and it really makes me wonder why. Especially with respect to LE.

Their children were removed from the home, they are living with consequences. You cannot "force" someone to make a change. You of all people realize that. So far, the pain obviously hasn't outweighed the pleasure.

Last edited:

You can’t force a person to do anything about the self destructive choices they are making. Any attempt at forcing could backfire.

A lot of people addicted to drugs and alcohol only care about drugs and alcohol. When they start caring about other things, they either get clean and get help or they dive deeper into their addictions (self-medicating).

I doubt they will ever get the boys back to be honest.
We can only hope. MOO

I don’t think we would see much of it due to HIPAA and privacy of kids’ matters. I’m pleasantly surprised no one has posted info about the kids’ current homes & schools & general well-being.

My guess is that someone convinced the parents to set up the website and limit social media - that means someone is/was providing good advice.

JMO.

I don’t think we would see much of it due to HIPAA and privacy of kids’ matters. I’m pleasantly surprised no one has posted info about the kids’ current homes & schools & general well-being.

My guess is that someone convinced the parents to set up the website and limit social media - that means someone is/was providing good advice.

JMO.

I wasn 't talking about the kids. They are exactly where they need to be, imo.

I have a lawyer question. I am not asking about this case specifically because there's a gag order.

If more than one child (2, 3, 4, doesn't matter) who have the same parents and live in the same home are removed by the state is that one case encompassing however many children or is an individual case opened per child? Or does this vary depending on various factors?

I do not mean to speculate on this exact case, it's just this case made me wonder how things are generally handled legally.

It really just depends. Usually, it will be one case for all the children.

Their children were removed from the home, they are living with consequences. You cannot "force" someone to make a change. You of all people realize that. So far, the pain obviously hasn't outweighed the pleasure.
Some people just want to be on a perpetual Disneyland ride

amateur opinion and speculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members