AMBER ALERT TN - Summer Moon-Utah Wells, 5, Rogersville, 15 Jun 2021 #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I meant more along the line of things that the courts might require of the parents to regain custody - classes, urinalysis, drug/alcohol treatment, counseling, etc.
I agree with whomever upthread speculated they have too much stacked up against them to ever get the boys back. I think the focus should be on counseling, and reuniting them with extended family; if there are any suitable, or willing to take them on.

Amateur opinion and speculation

But we know that DV was an issue prior to Summer going missing, right ? So, for me personally, I find it hard to attribute yet another incident of DV to the stress of having a missing child. Mind you, that certainly can't help. But if I were looking for common denominators between this incident and the one from 2020 (because those are really the only ones I feel safe to mention here ) it would be drugs/alcohol. I find it extremely hard to believe that drug/alcohol treatment wouldn't be a requirement for reunification with the remaining children who have been removed from the home, but I honestly don't know the first thing about CPS , so maybe I'm mistaken in that thought. I dunno. Either way, it doesn't appear to me that either Don or Candus have any genuine desire to get clean. It's sad and hard to watch, even from a distance. :(

We don't know if they are making any attempts to work their case plan as far as trying to get the boys back.
When children are taking into CPS custody there is always a case plan which lays out exactly what the parents need to do to get their child/children back. Visitation almost always starts immediately and is often supervised. Then they address the issues that lead to the children being removed and start offering services to try to correct these issues. If drugs/alcohol are a known issue then they would likely start drug testing and be offered rehab, along with parenting classes, anger management, counseling, help with housing, employment services, food stamps, medical needs etc. and anything else they may need. The States really bend over backwards for any parent who wants to try to get their children back.
Are they even trying to get them back? Doing visitation? Who knows?

In my opinion, locking DW up a while couldn't hurt the situation. That situation might actually help break the case because with the codependent relationship I believe CB (CW) will have to either sink or swim on her own and the pressure of them being separated might just help crack this case.

In my opinion, locking DW up a while couldn't hurt the situation. That situation might actually help break the case because with the codependent relationship I believe CB (CW) will have to either sink or swim on her own and the pressure of them being separated might just help crack this case.

I agree with you. I don't see any downside to these two being separated. Even if it doesn't help Summer's case, it could certainly help force a reality check in terms of someone getting serious about seeking treatment.

JMO

Imo the Jan 19th both were at fault,and both should have been arrested. Maybe next time though. Sorry to say I think it's just a matter of time before the drinking,and fighting gets to a boiling point again. The Sheriff's dept has got to be fed up going to the same address for the same thing. MOO

I have a lawyer question. I am not asking about this case specifically because there's a gag order.

If more than one child (2, 3, 4, doesn't matter) who have the same parents and live in the same home are removed by the state is that one case encompassing however many children or is an individual case opened per child? Or does this vary depending on various factors?

I do not mean to speculate on this exact case, it's just this case made me wonder how things are generally handled legally.

I believe it depends on the case. My husband has had cases like this where some kids remain in the home while others are taken out; others where all kids are taken at the same time.

A lot of people addicted to drugs and alcohol only care about drugs and alcohol. When they start caring about other things, they either get clean and get help or they dive deeper into their addictions (self-medicating).

I doubt they will ever get the boys back to be honest.

I do not think that their addiction has anything to do with their love for their children. This is how they seem to have dealt with situations in the past, and they have so much more to forget about now. It is tragic, but without help, I do not see them just snapping out of behaviors and addictions that they have leaned on in the past.

I do not think that their addiction has anything to do with their love for their children. This is how they seem to have dealt with situations in the past, and they have so much more to forget about now. It is tragic, but without help, I do not see them just snapping out of behaviors and addictions that they have leaned on in the past.
I agree. They love their children.

The thing is, they need to want help in order to actually get help. If they are not ready to do the work, forcing them into treatment is not going to help anyone.

Sadly, I agree. It appears there are some deep rooted, long practiced behaviors that don't align with healthy and successful adulting. It would seem a long stint in rehab and then a sober living half-way house might be useful. If circumstances don't permit, then sadly the 'half-way house" might end up being prison. But there too, if they wanted it badly, they could find structure and help. It would seem as if DW picked up something in prison he clung to, even if imperfectly; finding religion. I think his efforts were sincere, if not fully successful.

When I look at this family, I think they are a strong (sad) representation of what addiction can do. It's a familiar story, and one that *can* have a positive outcome...but only if they truly want to change. I hope this can be the turning point for them.

Amateur opinion and speculation

I never said they didn't love their children. Most people do. However their children have been removed and in the past when this happened with their other children, they didn't get them back (unless I'm remembering wrong). I don't think this time will be any different.

I'm sure they want the boys back, but they are life-long addicts. It's a lot easier to sink into the sand, than it is to climb a mountain.

Summer Wells turns 6 next week.

"Donald shared with the Review a dream he had recently about Summer."

Donald: “I was like a drone or something. It was kind of odd. She was just running in some Johnson grass and it was a beautiful summer day. She was running and laughing with a big smile on her face like she always does. I just kind of flew by her and was looking back, kind of looking down on her a little ways from a distance. I was like a drone or something. It was odd. But it was beautiful. That beautiful smile of hers. It brings tears to my eyes thinking about it.”

Family will observe Summer Wells' 6th birthday next week in private

Last edited:
How does CPS handle cases where children are removed from a home where there are obvious signs of addiction ? Wouldn't drug and alcohol testing be a requirement for reunification ?
I don't think there will be a reunification in this case. Not until the boys age out of the system and make their own choices. JMO

I agree. They love their children.

The thing is, they need to want help in order to actually get help. If they are not ready to do the work, forcing them into treatment is not going to help anyone.
Yes, but if they want their boys home, they NEED to seek help. I'd think they would want help, since they won't get their boys unless they do the work.

Their 'addiction' has nothing to do with the love of their children. I agree. But the love of their children could trigger their urge to get treatment and make necessary changes in order to regain custody. But I don't see that happening right now. JMO

I meant more along the line of things that the courts might require of the parents to regain custody - classes, urinalysis, drug/alcohol treatment, counseling, etc.

This is a state to state thing. I can tell you in the south, there are a whole lot of hoops for families to jump through to get their kids back once CPS steps in. The hoops are case to case, but here (Arkansas) visitation is short and supervised until parents start showing improvement. The state tries to place removed children with family as much as possible so reunification isn't a pressing consideration. If the parents don't improve, eventually the state takes action to terminate the parents rights.

As far as law and policy goes, Arkansas and Tennessee are generally pretty similar. So, it's unlikely that the boys will ever be returned to the Wells home. More than likely, they have placed them together, but I don't believe DW nor CW have any family in Tennessee that doesn't reside on the property.

MOO

NewsNation video transcribed.

Marnie - Brian I want to start with the Summer Wells' case in Tennessee and the reason police were called back to that families home recently.

Brian - Yeah Marnie, police have been to that house before and they were back at the house on Wednesday. According to the police reports someone called 911, said that they heard fighting coming from the Well's home. When the deputies arrived they say that Candus Wells, Summers' mum said that Don Wells, Summers' dad, had hit her, put his hands around her neck and pushed her up against the wall. The deputy said they didn't see any bruises on Candus. She said that her thumb was broken, but they say they noticed her actually flick a cigarette with that thumb and that she was able to put her shoe on with that thumb. So after sort of investigating at the scene. No arrests were made.

Marnie - And Brian we do do know this isn't the first time that there have been fights at the Wells house, police have been called at other times, what are some of the other incidents that you're aware of?

Brian - Yeah there's a lot of drama that's happened at that house, Marnie. It was interesting because when we were there, talking to Don Wells the vibe was sort of that they were trying to calm things down and turn a new leaf and stop drinking. But there have been incidents, they've been on podcasts late at night yelling and screaming at each other with all sorts of noises in the background. So sadly this latest issue really doesn't come as a surprise.

Marnie - And all the while Summer is still missing. Are there any updates, any active searches happening near that property or elsewhere that you are aware of?

Brian - That's the saddest part of this whole thing there really are no new updates at this point. No searches that we know of so hopefully someone will see something and call authorities in Tennessee soon.
Interesting Brian Entin is covering this case now? He was the reporter actively covering the Gabby Petito case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deborah_Swell