AMBER ALERT TN - Summer Moon-Utah Wells, 5, Rogersville, 15 Jun 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that identical stories would be a red flag, but stories with minor discrepancies are just normal/human imo. If I think about any ho hum weekend where we're doing chores, yard work, errands, etc. I couldn't tell you exactly what time my husband left for Home Depot, sometimes he's even gone and back and I'm not even aware! I might recall I did laundry, ate lunch, watched a show on TV, cleaned the floors, but I couldn't necessarily tell you exactly what time I did those things, or if my teen was around and saw me do them, or what he was doing during all that time.

I agree that one might not be aware of what other adults or teenagers are doing or where they are during a normal day,but people tend to be more aware of where a 5 year old child is and what they are doing.

It’s not really telling of anything. Most likely the driver isn’t even aware he/she is being sought out for info. If they’re not paying attention to the missing child case, they won’t know unless someone else happens to tell them.

I’ve seen a lot of comments from people in the area saying they weren’t aware of Summer being missing until a week or so after it happened. Not everyone got the Amber Alert, and a lot of people ignore those, because they’ve basically become “parental abduction alerts” since that’s almost always the only time they have car and tag info to use in the alert.
Another thought I had was it was the weekend. People may travel out of town for the weekend or they may do the opposite and stay home the entire time. I’m hoping now that we are back to the work week, someone will see this truck.

I'm not blaming the parents for whatever has happened to Summer but one thing that has seemed odd to me from the beginning is the way the father so quickly dismissed the possibility that Summer was in the woods and instead focused on kidnapping. The parents may have drilled it into the kids not to go into the woods but kids will be kids. Does this seem odd to anyone else?

I would completely agree with this if we are sure his employer was fully aware of his whereabouts. Hasn't it been said that DW was on a job site? If so, do we know for sure that he wasn't the only one there? When I think of hanging drywall, I don't think of it as being a one-man job, but I do know that there are a lot of tools available these days that would allow one person to be able to pick up, move, & position a piece of sheet rock and allow it to be hung much easier than it used to be. Also, if the job site he was at had already had the drywall hung and he was there to tape & mud the site, that could be a one man job. So unless LE were sure that he wasn't on the site alone (or maybe better to say, with a coworker or someone who was actively paying attention to his presence) it might be harder for LE to confidently ascertain his location & timeline.
To be clear, I do not state this to cast blame anywhere, but simply to point out that it may be harder than some think for LE to nail down all of the little details. For the most part though, I think we do have to assume that LE would have already considered things like this. So if they ever do state that they know - with certainty - anyone's whereabouts at a given time, they will have most likely taken things like this into full consideration.
All MOO....I would hope that LE using all things available would know where job site was and be able to trace his whereabouts on the roads through traffic/residential/store/industrial cameras and his cell tower pings.

He claimed to have driven at excessive speeds to get home, I would think that LE would look at traffic cameras to see that for themselves when he gave that statement.

The fact they are focusing on talking to someone in the red truck that was in the area of the home and so much of the search was based around the area of the home, I am comfortable with thinking that DW was in fact at work. Again.... MOO

I'm not blaming the parents for whatever has happened to Summer but one thing that has seemed odd to me from the beginning is the way the father so quickly dismissed the possibility that Summer was in the woods and instead focused on kidnapping. The parents may have drilled it into the kids not to go into the woods but kids will be kids. Does this seem odd to anyone else?
Yes, because aside from outright verified murder or death with a body, kidnapping and child trafficking are the last things a parent want to contemplate, not the first. It reminds me a lot of the cougar doing it in another case. As in, don't look for my wife, the cougar took her up into the mountains, the mountains we've already searched in a 200 mile radius. Look how long it's taken real LE in Tenn to search out a radius of 2-3 miles.

Last edited:

It didn't and still doesn't seem odd to me. I think some parents, in this unimaginable situation, don't even want to say things like this out loud, for fear it will come true. I think Summer's dad is talking straight and honest. Saying what he thinks. In his mind, she wouldn't venture off into the woods. If they can't find her, then someone must have kidnapped her (then later it was trafficking). I took his words to mean, he wants LE to investigate a kidnapping NOW, time is ticking. I honestly don't fault him here. At the same time, I believe LE when they said they had two operations happening together - the actual search for Summer, then the investigation. I don't think LE has tunnel vision in this case. I don't know if that brings any comfort to Summer's dad, probably not, his daughter is still missing. IMO

It's hard to know....IMO.. If what is in his mind is based on what he was told by Mom since he was at work and with the fact that he says that Summer wouldn't leave their yard/hill, then maybe he as a parent has in his mind what HE feels could be the worst thing that he would imagine could happen to Summer. He could be the type of person like so many people are, once you get something in your mind it's hard to shake it....
I just pray they find Summer and pray for her brothers that they are getting the much needed help coping right now.

Yes, because aside from outright verified murder with a body, kidnapping and child trafficking are the last things a parent want to contemplate, not the first. It reminds me a lot of the cougar doing it in another case. As in, don't look for my wife, the cougar took her up into the mountains, the mountains we've already searched in a 200 mile radius. Look how long it's taken real LE in Tenn to search out a radius of 2-3 miles.

I disagree. I think that's the only option that means she's alive. If she wandered into those woods alone, she's dead now. If she was taken by someone, she could still be alive. I am a parent and of course I'd opt for NONE OF THE ABOVE if I had the option, but I'd rather my child come home to me alive than be dead and alone out in the woods.

I agree that one might not be aware of what other adults or teenagers are doing or where they are during a normal day,but people tend to be more aware of where a 5 year old child is and what they are doing.
IMO, not all parents are wired the same or have their priorities in line. JMO... not sure if I'm allowed to say this.

Just to muddy the waters...

Reporter: Have you been able to narrow down the timeline? Anymore than....(unintelligible)

TBI Spokesperson Leslie Earhart: Not anymore than what we originally released. We know that, um, her family reported her missing. They called the sheriff's office around 6:30. Prior to that, it was, um, early afternoon when she was last seen and they searched for a little bit and then reported her missing.

So, if the timeline has not been narrowed down anymore than what was originally released, Summer was " last seen on Tuesday night around 6 pm Ben Hill Road" or "was seen walking away from her home on Ben Hill Road around 7 p.m." She was reported missing at 6:30 so the 6 p.m. seems more accurate.

Quotes from press conference:
'Nobody is more frustrated than we are.' TBI provides update in Summer Wells search

6:00 p.m time:
AMBER ALERT: Search continues for 5-year-old Hawkins County girl

7:00 p.m. time:
TBI issues endangered child alert for missing Hawkins County 5-year-old | WJHL | Tri-Cities News & Weather

Then,we have “They called the sheriff’s office around 6:30”. Since right before that sentence, Leslie Earhart said the family reported her missing, I think it’s safe to say that “They” is referring to a person(s) in Summer’s family. We don’t know which family member or if it was more than one that called at 6:30.

Lastly, we have Earhart say “Prior to that, it was, um, early afternoon when she was last seen and they searched for a little bit and then reported her missing”. If the timeline has not changed from what was originally released as Earhart stated above and Summer was last seen at 6:00 and reported missing at 6:30, “they searched for a little bit and then reported her missing” makes sense as to the timeline. What doesn’t fit is the part where she says “early afternoon” was when Summer was last seen. Early afternoon and 6:00 are not the same and both can’t be correct, nor can it be correct that the timeline has not been narrowed down from what was first released if Summer’s last seen time is now early afternoon. Those two words of “early afternoon” is what is causing a problem with the little part of a timeline that LE has provided. It’s too bad that a reporter didn’t catch the contradiction and ask questions at that press conference. What did she mean by “early afternoon”?

- It could mean the last time a non-family member saw Summer.
- It could mean that it was the last time a family member saw Summer.
- It could be that Earhart misspoke and meant to say early evening (some have suggested she seemed to be tired and/or upset that day).

I don’t assign it any meaning to “early afternoon” at this time because her statement appears to contradict itself. Until LE clears up what “early afternoon” means in this case, I can’t put much emphasis on it.

A TBI spokeswoman told The Post that the search for Summer and an investigation into the circumstances of her disappearance — now its second week — was continuing Monday. The Hawkins County Sheriff’s Office and FBI investigators are pursuing “any and all leads,” TBI spokeswoman Leslie Earhart said.

Witness sought in disappearance of Tennessee's Summer Wells

Just to muddy the waters...

Reporter: Have you been able to narrow down the timeline? Anymore than....(unintelligible)

TBI Spokesperson Leslie Earhart: Not anymore than what we originally released. We know that, um, her family reported her missing. They called the sheriff's office around 6:30. Prior to that, it was, um, early afternoon when she was last seen and they searched for a little bit and then reported her missing.

So, if the timeline has not been narrowed down anymore than what was originally released, Summer was " last seen on Tuesday night around 6 pm Ben Hill Road" or "was seen walking away from her home on Ben Hill Road around 7 p.m." She was reported missing at 6:30 so the 6 p.m. seems more accurate.

Quotes from press conference:
'Nobody is more frustrated than we are.' TBI provides update in Summer Wells search

6:00 p.m time:
AMBER ALERT: Search continues for 5-year-old Hawkins County girl

7:00 p.m. time:
TBI issues endangered child alert for missing Hawkins County 5-year-old | WJHL | Tri-Cities News & Weather

Then,we have “They called the sheriff’s office around 6:30”. Since right before that sentence, Leslie Earhart said the family reported her missing, I think it’s safe to say that “They” is referring to a person(s) in Summer’s family. We don’t know which family member or if it was more than one that called at 6:30.

Lastly, we have Earhart say “Prior to that, it was, um, early afternoon when she was last seen and they searched for a little bit and then reported her missing”. If the timeline has not changed from what was originally released as Earhart stated above and Summer was last seen at 6:00 and reported missing at 6:30, “they searched for a little bit and then reported her missing” makes sense as to the timeline. What doesn’t fit is the part where she says “early afternoon” was when Summer was last seen. Early afternoon and 6:00 are not the same and both can’t be correct, nor can it be correct that the timeline has not been narrowed down from what was first released if Summer’s last seen time is now early afternoon. Those two words of “early afternoon” is what is causing a problem with the little part of a timeline that LE has provided. It’s too bad that a reporter didn’t catch the contradiction and ask questions at that press conference. What did she mean by “early afternoon”?

- It could mean the last time a non-family member saw Summer.
- It could mean that it was the last time a family member saw Summer.
- It could be that Earhart misspoke and meant to say early evening (some have suggested she seemed to be tired and/or upset that day).

I don’t assign it any meaning to “early afternoon” at this time because her statement appears to contradict itself. Until LE clears up what “early afternoon” means in this case, I can’t put much emphasis on it.

This is the first I’ve seen of her being spotted walking on a road?

Thanks for your post, Considering. Wow, how is this the first time I'm seeing this line! "Lawson says Wells was seen walking away from her home on Ben Hill Road around 7 p.m." (In this article - and who is Lawson?)

That has to be a reporting mistake, since the call to 911 seems to have been at 6:30. Or has the story changed that much.

+1 to Athenna's post above, I've never seen "walking away from her home" used.

ETA: but this is an early article, posted on 6/15, so I am willing to just call this reporting errors on that basis.

Reward fund created for information in Summer Wells case

[...]

Individuals interested in donating to the reward fund can go to any Civic Bank branch and request to place money in the Church Hill Rescue Squad Summer Wells Reward Account.

Once the money is placed in the account, officials said the funds will stay there for six months. If there are no tips or leads that result in the location or recovery of Summer Wells, the funds will be donated to the Child Advocacy Center, Church Hill Rescue stated.

[...]

Thanks for your post, Considering. Wow, how is this the first time I'm seeing this line! "Lawson says Wells was seen walking away from her home on Ben Hill Road around 7 p.m." (In this article - and who is Lawson?)

That has to be a reporting mistake, since the call to 911 seems to have been at 6:30. Or has the story changed that much.

+1 to Athenna's post above, I've never seen "walking away from her home" used.

ETA: but this is an early article, posted on 6/15, so I am willing to just call this reporting errors on that basis.
Sheriff Ronnie Lawson

"NOW, there is a change in the effort to locate a Summer."

"Plus, there's a possible new lead that could help explain what happened to Summer Wells." - I am thinking he means the red/maroon truck, or there is something he can't reveal.

"This all comes as there's a shift in strategy now focusing more on the possibility of foul play." - Wonder if we'll note any change in TBI activity/actions as a result if this is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dokkuyifyi