AMBER ALERT TN - Summer Moon-Utah Wells, 5, Rogersville, 15 Jun 2021 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the owner of the red/maroon Tacoma is involved, that driver would surely follow all LE reports on the incident. That person knows everyone is on the lookout for that vehicle. If I put myself in their shoes, I want that truck as far away from me as possible. So, what would I do?

Continue to drive it around town. Um... no.

I could list it on Craig's List (or alternate selling/trading platform) however, I would assume LE is monitoring that. Probably wouldn't go that route.

I could trade it in at a dealership and drive away in a different vehicle. That's risky too though since the salesman may be following the case as well. So much documentation changes hands on a legit vehcile purchase. Nope, wouldn't go that route either... unless I took it out of state.

Park it somewhere remote and walk away. Okay... maybe. But I'd always wonder if I hid it well enough.

Set it on fire? Nope. Way to much attention. I would literally bring LE right to it, once the FD put out the blaze.

Sink it in the lake. Tons of places to do that. But... vehicles don't always sink as expected. And, it's prime season for people to seek out spots to cool off in the water. Nope, to risky.

Report it stolen? Nope. Bad move. That would surely draw attention to me.

Perhaps I would take it to the crusher. We have those around here. Basically a metal scrap yard that gives you a few hundred bucks for your vehicle. The vehicle is crushed and that's the end if that. Most yards are legit, some are not. I might be able to get away with it. But, if the "not so legit" crusher employee catches wind of that 50k reward, I'm screwed.

If my criminal brain didn't like any of those options, I'd be left with just one thing to do...

Drive out of state. The Amber Alert was limited to TN. From that starting point in East TN, it would take less than an hour to cross into Kentucky, Virginia or North Carolina. In 2 hours, I could be in Georgia.

Since it has been nearly 14 days, I could be anywhere in the country. And, I'd be feeling fine... unless the Amber Alert was changed to Nationwide. But what are the odds of that happening? Slim to none.

Hmmmm... I'll take: Drive out of state for $100, Alex.
The easiest option would be to park it in a garage.

True, but this is out in the country. Who expects this type of trouble? I wonder if many people in that area fuss with cams vs. big dogs and smith and Wesson.

amateur opinion and speculation
You never can tell though. We installed a sensor on our TN property that alerted us if someone was coming up the (long) driveway. That was a number of years ago - today we'd probably have at least two cameras in place and I bet the cost would be lower than what we spent on a gizmo that simply dinged in the house.

And the locals we knew even back then were pretty savvy; they looked and dressed like farmers but knew their way around technology. MOO.

You never can tell though. We installed a sensor on our TN property that alerted us if someone was coming up the (long) driveway. That was a number of years ago - today we'd probably have at least two cameras in place and I bet the cost would be lower than what we spent on a gizmo that simply dinged in the house.

And the locals we knew even back then were pretty savvy; they looked and dressed like farmers but knew their way around technology. MOO.

All of my neighbors have sensors and security cams set up to cover every inch of their property. We lost a cat once and thought we heard a cat meowing from our dentist neighbor's barn. Went to check it out and the next thing we knew, he and his wife came flying up in their ATV's asking us what was going on. That's how I learned that they all have security cams down the hollow. Dentist neighbor was shocked that we didn't have the same kind of set up.

It's way more common out here in the middle of nowhere than many people might think.

I also have wondered about the Wells' relationship with their neighbors. In my situation out here in no man's land, ALL of the neighbors ( there's only 5 that we count, the 6th is a mess ) keep a watchful eye on things and don't hesitate to call us at 3 am if they see a strange car at the bottom of our driveway, or drop us a FB message if they want to know if we've noticed a strange vehicle, etc. etc. Heck they even call us if they are going to be having a party just to give us a heads up. I can't help but think that there must be some similar network among at least a few of the Wells neighbors.

Well heck...I completely lost my train of thought. :rolleyes: I guess I was just wondering out loud.

So, about the red truck and description. What trade would one be in to have the ladder and white buckets in the back? Were they on a "job", did they recently purchase those things for a home project? Were they a sort of helper driving the owner's truck? If we could come up with some theories about that, it may help to focus the search for the truck? Canvas hardware/construction businesses that may be able to ID the truck and its owner as a contractor/recent customer?

Painting for one, a family member of mine has a small truck, always a ladder and white buckets in the back.

All of my neighbors have sensors and security cams set up to cover every inch of their property. We lost a cat once and thought we heard a cat meowing from our dentist neighbor's barn. Went to check it out and the next thing we knew, he and his wife came flying up in their ATV's asking us what was going on. That's how I learned that they all have security cams down the hollow. Dentist neighbor was shocked that we didn't have the same kind of set up.

It's way more common out here in the middle of nowhere than many people might think.

Wow! It's not like that where I am. People around me are impoverished and doing the best they can. We have trail cams and I know of one neighbor who has a trail cam on his property. That's it. Sure, they know about security cams and sensors but they don't have them. Most of them are good people willing to give their last dollar to someone who needs it more but who struggle to put up enough wood to keep their woodstoves running through the winter and keep their kids fed. They don't have any extras like that. I guess it all depends on where you are.

I also have wondered about the Wells' relationship with their neighbors. In my situation out here in no man's land, ALL of the neighbors ( there's only 5 that we count, the 6th is a mess ) keep a watchful eye on things and don't hesitate to call us at 3 am if they see a strange car at the bottom of our driveway, or drop us a FB message if they want to know if we've noticed a strange vehicle, etc. etc. Heck they even call us if they are going to be having a party just to give us a heads up. I can't help but think that there must be some similar network among at least a few of the Wells neighbors.

Well heck...I completely lost my train of thought. :rolleyes: I guess I was just wondering out loud.
I wanna come and live at your place :)

It is so beautiful, old school and do ya own thang!

We call our system a "Neighborhood Watch". There's a Facebook page that lists suspecious/unknown vehicles, missing pets, strays seen, etc. Phone calls are a rarity, but possible. I believe most communities in my county have it in place.

I humbly stand corrected! Thank you

Wow! It's not like that where I am. People around me are impoverished and doing the best they can. We have trail cams and I know of one neighbor who has a trail cam on his property. That's it. Sure, they know about security cams and sensors but they don't have them. Most of them are good people willing to give their last dollar to someone who needs it more but who struggle to put up enough wood to keep their woodstoves running through the winter and keep their kids fed. They don't have any extras like that. I guess it all depends on where you are.

Well, I think it can sometimes also depend on cost vs usefulness. If you are a farmer with expensive equipment , or a stable owner responsible for expensive horses , or even if you just own a few ATV's or whatever, then having that kind of security could be pretty cost effective in the grand scheme of things. My husband and I practice the philosophy of simple living, so we don't have all that. What are you gonna steal, my cast iron apple butter pot ? Good luck carrying it down the driveway. ;)

But anyway, I think this is starting to wander a little off topic, so I'm gonna get myself back on track.

I have a question. If CW was able to summons the sheriff for the DV incident in October, why couldn't she do the same for Summer?

Thought CW did phone 911, however I did run quickly past a few pages on here. If I was looking for a missing 5 yo, and someone told me they were calling 911 I'd say OK, I'm back out looking. Also can see me telling another family member to call while I kept looking.

Thought CW did phone 911, however I did run quickly past a few pages on here. If I was looking for a missing 5 yo, and someone told me they were calling 911 I'd say OK, I'm back out looking. Also can see me telling another family member to call while I kept looking.
According to DW (I think) they both called.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
one that lived it