TN - Tyre Nichols, beaten to death by 5 Memphis Police Officers, Jan 2023 *officers charged*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well said, short and to the point.

Thank goodness it was likely a cold winter's night in Memphis where a certain number of people are reluctant to go outside for any reason.

The Memphis Chief of Police seems to radiate no nonsense competence. Yet, the video is released Friday night when there is apparently no real need to do so?

I wonder why not say: Monday at 10:00 in the morning with the work week ahead would not have been better.
They were worried about doing it when school is in session and more children or other civilians would be out and about and maybe in harms way. Luckily, it appears their fear of violent protest was mostly unwarranted.

Well said, short and to the point.

Thank goodness it was likely a cold winter's night in Memphis where a certain number of people are reluctant to go outside for any reason.

The Memphis Chief of Police seems to radiate no nonsense competence. Yet, the video is released Friday night when there is apparently no real need to do so?

I wonder why not say: Monday at 10:00 in the morning with the work week ahead would not have been better.
In this case, i'think the people's right to know should come first, before all else because those 5 officers came from a department of other officers, where it was, apparently, ok to view violence toward a person stopped for any/or no, reason, as acceptable and ordinary. That department is still there, sheltering the home base of the 5. It must be exposed to its core, every ugly truth brought to the public's view. People have sat waiting patiently for justice long enough. Where there are ways to open the process to the world, they must be used.

And just to expand on this a little bit, I watched this interview last night between Cuomo and Reverend Hasan, who led Tyre’s vigil on Thursday evening. She said a lot of things that really struck me… and I think she’s on point about a lot of this… but they also discussed something that has been on my mind and bugging me and she had a really good answer for it… I’ve been wondering why on earth these officers would even think about doing something like this (apart, of course from basic humanity, obviously) knowing full well that at least some of them were wearing body cams, equipped with audio… And think that they could possibly get away with this? Why on earth would they do this knowing that the entire thing would be filmed? Would they not know in advance that if they beat Tyre like this, they’d pretty much be guaranteed a prison sentence? OR, at BARE (INADEQUATE) MINIMUM, lose their jobs? Well, she addressed this question very well IMO, and she opened my eyes to not only this, but other very good points, as well. Here is the conversation, I highly recommend…
I wondered the same thing. It is exactly what she said. They did not see Tyre as a fellow human being. This is very frightening, and it is happening everywhere. The fight attendants, TSA, any service worker really, is starting to see the public as numbers, not as people. I have been watching YouTube for years, police brutality videos. Started with Eric Garner, Freddie Gray, Amanda Bland, Floyd etc..and really, Rodney King was the beginning. I wish someone would start a YouTube channel and devote it to police body cam vids. Through the freedom of info act, they could request videos from all over the nation, find cases we don't even know about due to MSM. They must stop. I am afraid of officers now, especially at night, and there is no way I should be. I can only imagine what Tyre was feeling when they grab him out of the car, got him to the ground and started screaming get on your stomach, after Floyd, 5 Officers? He fled for his life, he knew. He was only 80 feet from his home, I am just so devastated he did not make it.

And just to expand on this a little bit, I watched this interview last night between Cuomo and Reverend Hasan, who led Tyre’s vigil on Thursday evening. She said a lot of things that really struck me… and I think she’s on point about a lot of this… but they also discussed something that has been on my mind and bugging me and she had a really good answer for it… I’ve been wondering why on earth these officers would even think about doing something like this (apart, of course from basic humanity, obviously) knowing full well that at least some of them were wearing body cams, equipped with audio… And think that they could possibly get away with this? Why on earth would they do this knowing that the entire thing would be filmed? Would they not know in advance that if they beat Tyre like this, they’d pretty much be guaranteed a prison sentence? OR, at BARE (INADEQUATE) MINIMUM, lose their jobs? Well, she addressed this question very well IMO, and she opened my eyes to not only this, but other very good points, as well. Here is the conversation, I highly recommend…
Thank you for posting this. A very wise woman. Huge respect.

Honestly, you’re so right. We are at a tipping point. We’re also at two sides of opposite extremes… We have this disgusting situation play out over and over and over again and there is righteous indignation towards it… Absolutely righteous. But then there’s the total opposite side, that represents a truly wonderful selfless individuals who swore an oath to serve and protect their communities and they take that seriously and they put their lives on the line every single day to live that out, and they do put away the real bad guys, and we need them, and they should be appreciated and supported. It’s just so hard. The whole thing. Both sides. My God, why can we not figure this out? As a country, why in the heck can we not get our collective *advertiser censored* together and make it so that atrocities like Tyre’s are no longer acceptable and NEVER happen again, instead of over and over and over again, while at the same time, somehow finding a way to support the police officers out there, the majority of them, who are the good guys. The good guys who had they seen this happen, would have stepped in. We need police in our society, to protect all of us, no matter where we come from, where we live, our socioeconomic class, the color of our skin, we need these people… but how can we ensure what is needed on both sides? How can we make sure this violent madness ends, and that police can also be trusted? The two concepts just seem be dialectical to the nth degree… I just don’t know how we fix this honestly. We’ve been trying to fix this forever. I just feel sad for everyone tonight. I hate the severe discord between everyone. For whatever reason I have been thinking about Rodney King today, and the first press conference that he gave… The first time he spoke after he had been brutally beaten, and by all accounts he was also a peaceful person, and I just remember him facing the crowd, and looking out at everybody, and his voice breaking, and tears start to fall, as he said the words, “Can we please just all get along now? Please?” - my heart broke. And I feel like it’s 30+ years later, and we’re still in the same place… and what’s most confounding to me is that I feel like the vast majority of people want solutions for this, but somehow, we can’t seem to get it done. When will enough be enough? What’s the solution? I shudder to think that this will not be the last time. :(
I think, that like everything else in the USA, there are profits to be made as long as the problem isn't fixed.

Whenever there is a problem -a superfund site, a city without potable water, ten thousand unhoused people or a man beaten to death by the local police, money is allocated to "fix" the problem. But, if the problem is fixed, there won't be any more money because it will be allocated to fix something else. So the money is spent doing everything possible except fix the problem.

That's why a city can budget millions of dollars to help the homeless, but three years later there are more of them than ever, and they are poorer than ever...and needing many more millions. A county can vote to spend billions to fix their roads and replace bridges and other infrastructure, only to see the average user experience continue to get worse and worse. The architects, contractors, laborers, equipment manufacturers, suppliers, inspectors and insurance companies all make some money from it, and they all want to see another problem like it in the near future.

Watch: Memphis will spend a LOT of money to reform and reorganize and retrain it's LE forces. They may never have another incident like this one (knock on wood), but there will still be problems and the citizens everywhere in the country will still need to be on high alert any time they interact with the police.

Whatever lessons are learned here, they won't be added to the collective wisdom and taken to heart everywhere at once. Instead, we'll see another incident like this in a few years and it will be the same cycle over again with another department and another handful of people profiting off the pain and misery. :(

There's one thing that didn't happen during the Tyre Nichols' murder, people stopping to fil

Everything the officers said and did was to cover their own butts. I think the feds will hit them with civil rights charges also. The so called scorpion unit may have been acting as a rogue cop gang, terrorizing and brutalizing people at will, much like the notorious LA Deputy gangs. How The Lynwood Vikings Paved The Way For LASD Gangs - Knock LA. This young man's life is an enormous price to pay to get five murderers in cop suits off the streets. The screening process for new law enforcement hires must be revamped if men like these get through.
So many do not want to become police officers now, that Departments are having to lower their hiring standards. I fear that the problem will get worse before it gets better. I have a Marine Vet son and a Detective stepson. There are strict rules of engagement. So strict that many say it puts their lives at risk. A good part of their training is focused on deescalation. When a situation goes south, they are supposed to be screened to see if they contributed to the escalation. If they did, they are supposed to receive more training, or be punished. That's the way it is supposed to happen. Obviously some Departments haven't changed their old ways. I know this much. The military and Police Academies do not train people to behave this way. These 5 thugs are the extreme and I hope they are put away for life. Imo.

bbm

Murder 1 IMO.

I am not an attorney nor do I know the law in Tennessee.

Tyre was restrained, he was continuously beaten, even when they pulled him up. He was helpless. The officers did not stop. They only stopped when Tyre was no longer moving, and when they saw the pole camera.
They knew what they were doing, beating him, with a baton, with fists, kicking him in the head, continuously. Any police officer knows what that entails, a likelihood of subdural hematoma at the least.

In my eyes this is outright murder in the first degree.

It's horrifying.
In Tennessee murder 2 says that they did know what they were doing. Murder 1 is premeditated, depending on the definition of premeditated you may have a point. And, I notice that murder 1 in Tennessee (see link) mentions during a kidnapping, and they have charged them with kidnapping. I think Murder 2 is easier, and more likely to convict than murder 1. IDK?

Murder 2: 2021 Tennessee Code :: Title 39 - Criminal Offenses :: Chapter 13 - Offenses Against Person :: Part 2 - Criminal Homicide :: § 39-13-210. Second Degree Murder

Murder 1: 2021 Tennessee Code :: Title 39 - Criminal Offenses :: Chapter 13 - Offenses Against Person :: Part 2 - Criminal Homicide :: § 39-13-202. First Degree Murder

I really try to stay out of threads involving police int he US because policing just seems to be so completely different to how it is here in Germany but why did the EMT not help and stand around? Don't they at least have a duty to do so (in Germany even police would have a duty to help, even a person they shot themselves)?

I really try to stay out of threads involving police int he US because policing just seems to be so completely different to how it is here in Germany but why did the EMT not help and stand around? Don't they at least have a duty to do so (in Germany even police would have a duty to help, even a person they shot themselves)?
Don't be surprised if they are not charged also. There is talk of possible charges. They should have immediately checked on Tyre, it is inexcusable.

I haven't read the whole thread yet. I watched the videos when they were released. I can't wrap my head around the behavior of the cops during the initial stop. Nothing TN did warranted any of the violence leashed on him. His demeanor and voice initially remained conversational. It was like watching a pack of wolves descending on an injured animal.

They were so unorganized and livid. What made them so livid? The rage increased when they were hit with their own pepper spray because they were so disorganized. They were nothing more than a group of men who were incapable of controlling their anger because someone didn't comply.

That word: comply. It conjures up so many situations in the past. "If he'd only listened to the officer." "All they asked him to do was comply." How many times have we heard that phrase. It is a precursor to a death penalty.

Cops have been leaving their jobs in droves in the last few years. A lot was attrition, some was turnover contagion and some was Covid. If you go on the federal roster of deaths of LE (ODMP.org), most of them died of Covid. For instance, in 2020, 436 officer died, 281 from Covid. In 2021, 668 died, 474 died of Covid. Then came George Floyd, demonstrations and riots. Most cities are operating under a shortfall. So what did Memphis do? They sent out a call for recruits. The criteria for screening subjects became lax. By 2022 they were offering a $15K signing bonus, the physical fitness test became an assessment not a timed test (evidence of that during the chase). No real community service hours and a consideration for those with a criminal record.

That's bad enough, but how did this laxness bleed into the Memphis FD and the EMT's? Why did they just stand around for ten minutes doing absolutely nothing while Tyre lay on the ground in obvious distress. They never looked at him, touched him. They stood around with the cops discussing how they all got to be there, well except the cop limping around because he probably broke some toes after kicking TN in the head.

So not only is it right and just that those five officers have been charged with a slew of charges, including second degree murder, but any of the other "public servants' who arrived on the scene should be charged with willful negligence causing death, not performing their duties as assigned and whatever else should be laid. And why only five cops? I counted at least 8 milling around during that damning silent movie from the pole camera that recorded every sordid, hateful things all involved did and didn't do to Tyre Nichols. Just a shameful, shameful abuse of power and an egregious display of apathy by the FD and EMTs.

So many do not want to become police officers now, that Departments are having to lower their hiring standards. I fear that the problem will get worse before it gets better. I have a Marine Vet son and a Detective stepson. There are strict rules of engagement. So strict that many say it puts their lives at risk. A good part of their training is focused on deescalation. When a situation goes south, they are supposed to be screened to see if they contributed to the escalation. If they did, they are supposed to receive more training, or be punished. That's the way it is supposed to happen. Obviously some Departments haven't changed their old ways. I know this much. The military and Police Academies do not train people to behave this way. These 5 thugs are the extreme and I hope they are put away for life. Imo.

by your comment they have had to lower their hiring standards, if that's acceptable for cops, why not for doctors, nurses, lawyers and school teachers? It's unacceptable, that's why. Innocent people die. People who falsely swear to protect and serve must be rooted out even if their agency is left short staffed.

The first video of the stop was not clear, but….
That pole cam video sealed it for me.

There was a point towards the end where it appears the officers realize they are being recorded via pole cam, IMO.

It appeared several flashlights directed to the pole cam and the officers began moving away from Tyre, IMO.

And moving away from Tyre amplified another requirement of a police officer they did not fulfil which is to render aid to those they have shot or injured.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yoohoo27
Back