trial day 37: the defense continues its case in chief #107

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My concern is - HOW can he end that sentence? If he refers to the tires, etc., it will be objected to as hearsay, and something that hasn't been proved to have been an "act of Jodi." Much of the other "stalker-ish" information we have has come from the media, and was not admitted as evidence at trial.

I'm not saying JM won't have plenty of ammo to toss, but I think our assessment of how helpful this testimony is to the prosecution is colored by the fact that we have more facts available to us about JA's background than the jury does.

What do you think are the strongest points JM can make, using only the evidence of record?

I see him getting them all in as hypothetical instances.

Holy guacamole Batman! This woman is an awesome witness....for the prosecution!

It's like she is taking Jodi's life...stalker, obsessive, manipulating, sexual aggressor, cruelty to animals, isolating, terrorist (slashing tires, threatening phone calls, having all his passwords to everything), suicidal threats...and on and on and on....and just displaying that in the court room. These jurors have heard all she's done (except for the animal thing...which SHOULD come in now).

Wow...just wow. :what::rocker:

This is a double edged sword and we don't know which way it will fall.

In an ideal world, JW will fall on the sword and JM will have virtually no questions on cross. My gut says the further JM stays from this the better...I don't know why, but that is what I feel.

What will be very telling is the questions from the jury. Right now, as she has laid things out, it is not black and white and the gray areas abound. As one who both believes that JA was a stalker and me being a survivor of domestic abuse, I find the claim that Travis was abusive beyond ludicrous. The jury does not know much of what we know, so it remains to be seen how this testimony will play out.

Does the jury have the full text of Flores' investigation? If so, this does mention the stalking suspicions, along with some testimony to that effect. His report also notes that many people interviewed initially suggested that JA be investigated.

The constant messaging makes me wonder about the number of times Jodi called or messaged Travis in relation to the number of times he actually called or messaged her. I'll bet she constantly blew his phone up with calls and text messages while he ignored her and rarely called or messaged her.

Does anyone know if the phone records have been broken down to show the ratio of calls and texts?

i think that was done for the calls on the murder trip. 14 calls from her to him. 2 from him to her.

interesting, my ex would sometimes express jealousy of my pets too. Good to know these red flags!

I'd like to know how many times her ex's son was left alone with her. I bet she wasn't as good to the boy,as DB thought she was.

Actually, I just thought about something. This came to mind, after reading the post that brought up the question of why JA didn't babysit her siblings. We know just about everything about JA, but I don't think we've ever heard about her babysitting (which is a common first job for many teenagers). This is odd, especially considering she had younger siblings and obviously experience around younger children. Just odd, IMO.

Terrorism/Stalking: as per ALV

Monopolization of perception
Insidious psychological abuse
Well-thought out threats to kill
Torturing pets
Extreme isolation
Generally more regular physical abuse, but may occur without physical
Sexual humiliation and degradation

I'll bet JA didn't just kick animals around. I'll bet when no one was looking she would pinch, hit, kick her siblings too.

Not just her siblings. I have a feeling that Jodi was not a "team player" as a child and probably didn't have many friends. She was likely a tattletale and would make up stories to get others in trouble. I can easily see her hitting, kicking, punching, biting, breaking toys, etc. to retaliate for some perceived offense or slight toward her or when she didn't get her own way. :moo:

Fotgot

Character assignation. X ja

I didn't know that, I just had two small grandchildren diagnosed with epilepsy. And just got a call from my daughter, My granddaughter is on life support. The dr's are giving her 20% survival.

Reading here to keep my mind busy.

Dear God, Katie, I'm praying so hard for your granddaughter!

Jean C. just said the jury is paying attention, but not taking notes! Her perception of the jury is usually a little different than our court watchers, but that sounds like good news to me! I'd think they'd be writing down these points on the chart if they thought it was important. Interesting.

I can't wait for cross already and am curious to see what the jury questions are!

I can see them going down that check list she giving and checking each point off as that fits Jodi in every way.

My dog just pulled the power cord out of my computer. Hint much?

If this woman is as good in her field as some seem to think, she would be able to see through Arias' lies in a heartbeat. She would not be testifying AGAINST Travis.

My ex was possessive, insecure, stalked me, stalked me by proxy, threw huge fits when I tried to break up, constantly messaged me. and in the end when I finally ended up having the strength to break it off, got really furious. I'm still scared of being stalked. and she is female, so I think it's really important for people to realize that women can be aggressors too, against men and other women. (I don't want to compare my ex to JA though, I mean she isn't a murderer, but she made me uncomfortable and took a chunk of my life and energy and I believe emotionally abused me on top of the stalking.)

I think this DV expert, I hope not to demean her judgment, but she's been manipulated by someone she would have instant sympathy for (a young woman who has allegedly been battered.) That, and the appeal of appearing in a high profile case, but still, I think her sincerity's been taken advantage of here, and even the defense knows it.

Thank you for sharing your story. A dear friend of my daughter's is currently involved in a relationship with a young woman who has already been court-ordered to attend anger management classes and is currently on probation for assault.
When my daughter and her friend do anything together, like coffee or a movie, this nutso girlfriend texts them both constantly and accuses them of "cheating" on her - she only wants the friend to see my daughter when my daughter's boyfriend is around.
It's a dangerous situation all around.

No matter what, I trust Juan will do an awesome job with cross but there is a part of me that would LOVE to see him hit her with a totally different demeanor than he took with JA and Doc S. I would enjoy seeing him use his same pit bull words but with a demeanor that matches LaV's (outwardly low key and calm) and in doing so maybe he could just ease her into pointing out how her descriptions of an abuser apply to JA based on evidence about Jodi that LaV may not be aware of at this point. I am afraid if Juan "takes her on" in his usual aggressive tone, she may just dig in (she seems like a calm but passive aggressive sort) and on principal not give an inch to someone she perceives as being aggressive - sort of as an example (in her eyes) to demonstrate how not to give in to an "abuser". I am betting she will bristle at any male who tries to challenge her directly.
Go Juan!!!!

Yes. Juan must tread carefully with AVL. The jury has bonded with her apparently, and he must not upset the jury. I have faith in him to do the right thing.

Personally Steely I think she killed the dog.

or her parents gave the dog away to KEEP her from killing it. i'm sure there's more to this story than we're hearing or will likely ever hear.

she also described her cat as 'feral' and said it scratched her up. more likely, it was terrified of her. if there even was a cat, of course.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if later on down the road we don't find out that JA has been one of those undiscovered serial killers. She's starting to remind me of Jeffrey Dahmer. Although, I kind of felt sorry for him. HE wasn't a big fat liar like JA and owned up to everything he did.

I remember a documentary about him & he spoke in it and he said straight up he was a monster and wished he had been given death. He did her his wish in prison though. I felt bad for his dad though.

Do the jurors get a catered daily lunch?

I did when I was a juror.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't know that, I just had two small grandchildren diagnosed with epilepsy. And just got a call from my daughter, My granddaughter is on life support. The dr's are giving her 20% survival.

Reading here to keep my mind busy.

Sending prayers and love your way.......

My concern is - HOW can he end that sentence? If he refers to the tires, etc., it will be objected to as hearsay, and something that hasn't been proved to have been an "act of Jodi." Much of the other "stalker-ish" information we have has come from the media, and was not admitted as evidence at trial.

I'm not saying JM won't have plenty of ammo to toss, but I think our assessment of how helpful this testimony is to the prosecution is colored by the fact that we have more facts available to us about JA's background than the jury does.

What do you think are the strongest points JM can make, using only the evidence of record?

Travis had a stalker, which is confirmed by Mimi Hall, Lisa, and Det Flores.

Travis had his tires slashed twice, also confirmed by several people.

IIRC, the jurors asked Lisa if she ever referred to Jodi as a stalker, and she said YES!

Martinez will most definitely phrase it in hypotheticals or generalizations, but I'm sure he can get it in.

It's up to the jury to add 2+2 and come up with 4

Jodi had complete power over Travis through the "I'll tell the bishop, and you'll lose your temple recommend, the public humiliation will damage your precious career, and none of the nice Mormon, wife-material girls you're running after will have anything to do with you" card. It sounds like she played the card in May, or perhaps he was finally driven to play it himself, and her power vanished...until 6-4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams