trial day 38: the defense continues its case in chief #110

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course. And being on one side's witness list doesn't mean you're on that party's "side" anyway. It just means that party might want to call you to the stand. Plenty of times I start out a trial by calling the opposing party to the stand.

In lieu of cross?

First time I ever knew that could be done was when I filed contempt charges against my abusive ex-husband for taking our children across state lines and failing to return them. Long story...

My attorney explained he did it that way to avoid opposing party to sit there and get his facts straight while listening to the testimony against him.

Smart :)

Cripes - this trial has more twists and turns than the Colossus! There was also an incident this morning involving one or more of Travis's sisters. Evidentally the family got wind of a verdict issued earlier this a.m. in their courtroom that a Bosnian murder defendant was sentenced to LWOP for stabbing someone to death. Heard that Samantha broke down in uncontrolled sobbing. This has to be pure hell for them!

According to Jean C. on HLN, JA did not look sick this morning during the Hearing. She also found it strange that her Mother did not react on the news that court was cancelled. Didn't rush up to the bailiff to find out if her daughter was ok - nothing. Hmmm.

Is there court tomorrow? The AZ taxpayers are paying a steep price to convict the <mod snip>! It's a a travesty! Heard that ALV was the seventh DV expert witness that the DT interviewed. How much $$$ did they charge to review/research the first six 'experts'? No wonder they don't want to divulge their expenses! Do we know the results of the Hearing?

The DT couldn't be too happy with ALV. IMO, she is basically neutralizing both sides. Can hardly wait for her to address the fact that the most dangerous time for any victim of DV is after they try to leave the relationship. 75% of the violence occurs AFTER the victim tries to leave the abuser! We all know who the victim was in this case!

I would like to know for certain if she is routinely getting a lunch every day or if they have to make a request when she is not feeling great. I hope this does not become a problem on appeal if she is not getting any food for 14 hours straight during her trial, not to mention the lack of sleep.

Interesting article on how Sherrif Joe's policies affect inmates during trial here.

A dear friend's son found himself in Sheriff Joe's tent jail, pink underwear and all. He worked in the fields and ate what he was given. He will tell anyone this was the Best thing that ever happened to him. He went on to college and is now a respected member of the community and his church and he volunteers with youth groups. Had he not wound up at Tent City he would probably be in prison now and forever.

I don't eat 2600 calories a day..if I did I would be a chunky monkey. I am short and thin...5'1, 107lbs. I believe she is purposely trying to lose weight. She want to look as fragile as possible.... she pulled Travis's body nearly 12 ft and shoved him in the shower. IMO she wants people to look at her and think this frail little thing couldn't possibly do this!! I HOPE Mr. Martinez makes sure the jury sees her as she was....blond and buff and about 20 lbs heavier. One of DD jury members just said last night that JA was much tinier than she thought she was. JMO

High profile trial lengths:
(Not counting any subsequent appeals etc...)
(I honestly never thought the JA case would be high proflie....)

Conrad Murray's trial was 6 weeks....9 hour deliberation
Casey Anthony 6 weeks....deliberation 11 hours
Scott Peterson 6 months.....7 days deliberation
Robert Blake 3 months.....35 hours
OJ 8 months...4 hours deliberation
Charlie Manson 7 months.....nine days
Steubanville rape jerks around 2.5 weeks...judge gave verdict

Bumped to show deliberation times :bump:

A dear friend's son found himself in Sheriff Joe's tent jail, pink underwear and all. He worked in the fields and ate what he was given. He will tell anyone this was the Best thing that ever happened to him. He went on to college and is now a respected member of the community and his church and he volunteers with youth groups. Had he not wound up at Tent City he would probably be in prison now and forever.

I don't eat 2600 calories a day..if I did I would be a chunky monkey. I am short and thin...5'1, 107lbs. I believe she is purposely trying to lose weight. She want to look as fragile as possible.... she pulled Travis's body nearly 12 ft and shoved him in the shower. IMO she wants people to look at her and think this frail little thing couldn't possibly do this!! I HOPE Mr. Martinez makes sure the jury sees her as she was....blond and buff and about 20 lbs heavier. One of DD jury members just said last night that JA was much tinier than she thought she was. JMO
I totally agree. I think she is losing weight on purpose to look more frail and vulnerable.

I see bias in a number of spectators -- a bias for the truth, and for justice.

Moreover, my comment had/has nothing to do with ALV whatsoever.

Judge Stephens has already allowed, before ALV was even sworn in, a single witness, one Jodi Arias, over the objections of the State, to fabricate anything and everything she chooses -- with the sole exception of the letters she forged -- for the sole purpose of defaming her deceased victim in Maricopa County Superior Court, carrying out the precise threat she made less than two years ago.

Reference: http://grahamwinch.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/jodiariasngfile.pdf

The judge is quite aware that the only other witness to nearly all of the victim's behavior contextually alleged by the defendant is the deceased himself, who is now unable to testify due to the admitted lethal actions perpetrated against his person by none other than the defendant herself.

Ergo, JA's claims to date are unable to be corroborated or substantiated, and are patently absurd -- especially considering the multiply-motivated, self-admitted lying source herself.

JA's prevarications, wholly without foundation in fact, have been deemed sufficient by rule of Judge Stephens, to pass for admissible evidence in Maricopa County Superior Court.

I say again: Shame on Judge Stephens.

A rightly decided verdict in this case now depends upon jurors with a greater dedication to the truth and to justice than Judge Stephens has displayed from the bench to date.

The testimony of an admitted liar, without corroboration, IS admissible evidence in court. Judge Stephens had absolutely no authority to prevent Jodi Arias from getting on that stand and lying her heart out. If she had done so, the court of appeals would have smacked her down immediately and the taxpayers would have wasted even more time and money.

Judges ARE NOT ALLOWED TO EXCLUDE EVIDENCE just because they want to. There has to be some legal basis for doing that.

Judges are SUPPOSED to leave it up to the jurors to detangle the good evidence from the bad evidence. That is not the job of the judge. That is the job of the jurors.

Where do you get that there is "FIVE YEAR WAITING PERIOD before a case goes to trial." ? there are delays in cases going to trial, sure, caused by both sides.. but now "waiting period"

Yes, ma'am. I agree. Much as we hate her, she is basically "in limbo", and as such hasn't been convicted of a doggone thing.

I am not a Sheriff Joe fan, and per interviews with him on TV, think he hasn't got a real clue what goes on in his jails. He told NG they only get CSpan, but he would consider allowing her (NG's) show. She got all kittenish and flattered.

Come to find out, the jail gets quite a few cable channels. Even ESPN. :rolleyes:

I digress, though. People awaiting trial should not be treated the same as the convicted.

Perhaps passing legislation to that effect will eliminate a FIVE YEAR WAITING PERIOD before a case goes to trial.

That is total BS and it is an abuse of the system and the taxpayers! :(

In lieu of cross?

First time I ever knew that could be done was when I filed contempt charges against my abusive ex-husband for taking our children across state lines and failing to return them. Long story...

My attorney explained he did it that way to avoid opposing party to sit there and get his facts straight while listening to the testimony against him.

Smart :)

Yes. And most of the time the judge will let you treat the person as a hostile witness, so you can ask leading questions as you would on cross.

I know that migraines can sometimes be triggered by hormone fluctuation when a woman is having her period. Jodi had a "migraine" a month ago. Maybe she's just having her period. Can you imagine what PMS + Jodi + jail must be like? Her cellmate was probably spending time cringing from her in the corner.

Re: Jodi asking Nurmi, "What is this?"

Given that the Prosecutor filed a supplemental witness list yesterday, perhaps this is what Jodi saw on the defense table and wanted to know what it was - or who/what the parties will offer in rebuttal. Below is data entered on the Jodi Arias Case History on 3/26/2013.

3/26/2013

LOW - List Of Witnesses/Exhibit/Evidence - Party (001)

3/26/2013

NOTE: STATE'S FIFTEENTH SUPPLEMENTAL LIST OF WITNESSES

She's probably scribbling frantic notes into the binding pages of the current issue of Psychology Today "Miss L! I never said the *advertiser censored* was on the computer! You f@ck@d up! You can fix this! Come and see me ASAP"

I understand your compassion; however, perhaps she should have murdered somebody elsewhere...perhaps where she could get 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep and 3 meals per day served at her convenience.

I don't mean to be snippy, but this entire situation is frustrating.

Just to add :twocents:...

I said earlier one of the things I learned watching this trial is there's 2 states I don't ever want to commit murder (not that I would) is:

Texas: They have an Express Lane to the Chair
and..
Arizona: Cuz they'll call you a *advertiser censored* before they give ya the Needle!!

JMSO ;)

watch

sorry if this has been posted.

Thanks for the link. I just got home and had no idea this hearing was recorded.

Maricopa County's Tourism motto:

Arrive on vacation, leave on probation :)

:butthead:
No, you still can't see the witness list that way. Why are people torturing this poor WS member? ;)

You can't see the documents on the court website unless you're an attorney or party on the case.

If you want to see the documents on someone else's case, you have to go to the clerk's office and get a copy, or hope someone else does that for you and posts it on the internet. :)

Where is Karmady????
Didn't he do that recently about today's hearing?

:blushing: nevermind...

I am a little :butthead: behind.... sorry I mis spelled Karmady too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deadstrangepod