trial day 40: the defense continues its case in chief #119

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the jury see the interrogation tape of the mother?

Also, where can I see the parent's interviews?

No, the jury did not see the parent's interviews.

HLN has been playing different snippets of it all day.

Hopefully, David Lohr can get a hold the the unedited tapes!!

So has anyone heard for sure that Laviolette is sick and is NOT returning. Why am I hearing this on this thread?

No there hasn't been anything like that. It was just speculative, like if she were seriously ill and unable to continue with this trial, what would happen.

Do you think the judge ever follows any of the media? Or are they bound by the same admonitions?

http://science.slashdot.org/story/0...cists-finally-solve-the-falling-paper-problem

Without the www I doubt she would be able to compose a paragraph for her
'journal'. Everything about this girl is fake. She has no personality.
IMO if Travis were here he would not recognize the relationship that she describes in her ramblings.

Yes, I found this one too! however, I was trying to find something closer to the exact verbiage that she used....as though she had lifted it directly from somewhere.

I agree with the rest of your post.

About that gun JA bought that was found under the hood of the rental car. Would JA have needed a license to buy that gun?

This is my first post and I may have missed something - how long between the deed and her arrest? It seems to me that these journal entries could have been fabricated easily in that time. She certainly is smart enough to make up entries to support her and 600 pages in that loopy big writing wouldn't be a huge amount of time. Her journal reads like a gothic romance - this is not the way real life unfolds. I agree it may have been plagorized - directly from Harlequin!
Just my opinion - for what it is worth.

I've been wondering that too, whether she altered it at that time. There are ripped out pages that she says were about Travis, but maybe it was stuff she wanted to hide about herself. If she had known she was going to be claiming self-defense, it would probably be loaded with claims of violence.

She can't refuse to be cross examined and if she suffers a serious illness that renders her unable to continue, there would likely be a mistrial.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm going to throw this out there, for what it's worth.

I read Shanna Hogan's book about the murder trial of Marjorie Orbin (KatieCL knows the victim's brother; he sometimes attends this trial). In many ways that trial was very similar to this one. It took place in Phoenix in 2009.

That trial lasted a year. At one point, they took the entire month of August off -- I guess many people had plans and no one thought the trial would go on that long.

So if the Phoenix courts don't have an issue with long, long delays, I would think that unless ALV has some illness that is going to last an incredibly long time, they could just go into recess until whenever. If she has appendicitis, for examples (and the symptoms fit somewhat), I would think she might be back on the stand in a month.

Maybe AZ Lawyer could tell us.

Someone on the Facebook feed running at the bottom of After Dark said "She probably needed to be beaten"... Just about shot soda out my nose. That was in reference to the parents btw

I also saw that.

:silly:

And agree.

MOO

No, I think she will be back on the stand tomorrow morning.

:seeya: I sure hope so !

There have been way too many interruptions in this trial and this snail pace is no doubt, getting on everyone's nerves !

:pullhair:

:seeya:

Is it possible that the court already determined what we're seeing is fabricated and won't allow them in?

If media filed a FOIA request, that means these were in the hands of the police, courts, etc. These were obviously the diaries Jodi wanted the police to see, so I can't see them hidden by Jodi and sold to the media by whoever was holding them for Jodi. Or found them.

I think someone has already determined we're not going to be seeing these at trial.

Excerpts from the diaries have been used over and over again as evidence in the trial. IIRC, the DT has always been the one to introduce the pages as evidence with JA testifying about her writing.

Both DT expert witnesses say they have read the entire diaries (3) as part of their review. Samuels claims to have read earlier diaries dating back to when JA was in middle school.

I'm not sure if there have been any evidentiary hearings on the diaries and how passages can or cannot be admitted to court.

Is it possible that this gun business would not be admissible as hearsay; JA is writing what TA said?

One thing I'd really like for Alyce to do:

Give a time frame within a week or two as to when a situation/dating relationship/friendship/roommate, etc becomes "domestic". And how is it framed? How do you know?

What I mean is, if I argue with a cashier I don't know, that is not domestic abuse, right? If I am mean to a friend, it's not domestic abuse. So where and how in the Jodi/Travis "relationship" (IF it even was one) fall into the framework of domestic? There has to be a tipping point.

Hypothetical question for Alyce:

If I have a huge crush on a girl I've never met, and ask her out - and she rejects me, is that abusive? If I hold onto the crush and keep creating situations where I am "hurt" because she won't go out with me, is that abuse? My question here is, how much responsibility is another party supposed to bear for my irrationality and refusal to understand the basic, common sense "rules" of dating?? Lol this is just hypothetical btw.

Do you think the judge ever follows any of the media? Or are they bound by the same admonitions?

Don't know, but the lawyers all can and do as witnessed by JC's little stint in the witness box.

February 2008 he said he wanted to buy a gun -- but according to Jodi's testimony he already had a gun as of 2007. Oops

Oh please let JM have caught this and bring it up in cross/rebuttal. Oh please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cowboy89