trial day 48: REBUTTAL #147

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was really expecting there to be more significant findings in the results of the MMPI than just the Borderline Personality Disorder. Especially with seven of the ten indicators elevated. Just wondering if I missed something. Can anyone shed any light on this? TIA

ALV is from my generation and, yes, women were pretty much passive and expected to stay that way. I was one generation beyond going on an interview wearing white gloves which was essential. lol It was my husband who taught me how to be more assertive and stand on my own two feet. He was very outgoing and never met a stranger, I was more inward and quiet. Before he passed away he said I use to worry about you being alone but now I know you will do fine. And I told him it was because of him and how he was always inspiring me to stand up for myself. Not all assertive men are abusive. Many of them try to bring the best out of others. Very much like Travis. I think he tried to do that for Jodi.

Ah Lambchop - me too! As a teenager, I was going to the shore (that's eastern talk for going to the New Jersey shore) for the weekend with some girlfriends and my mother told me not to forget to pack gloves! ROFL I looked at her like she had two heads. (Particularly since I wasn't planning to pack a dress to wear with the gloves! Khaki colored "dungarees" were the only thing to wear in those days.)

ALV is from my generation and, yes, women were pretty much passive and expected to stay that way. I was one generation beyond going on an interview wearing white gloves which was essential. lol It was my husband who taught me how to be more assertive and stand on my own two feet. He was very outgoing and never met a stranger, I was more inward and quiet. Before he passed away he said I use to worry about you being alone but now I know you will do fine. And I told him it was because of him and how he was always inspiring me to stand up for myself. Not all assertive men are abusive. Many of them try to bring the best out of others. Very much like Travis. I think he tried to do that for Jodi.

Sounds like a good man. :)

Did anyone read the Feb. 14 email? The top of the email talked about Travis being angry so I can see the DT using this to counter some points. Maybe show Travis was abusive. I think she never got spideys or that shirt and pink underwear and was angry she didnt get anything for valentines day btw

Where did ALV disappear to? Thought she was supposed to be back this week.

Was JM done with her?

Based on her own actions Jodi Arias makes it clear she knows the difference between right and wrong eg disposal of weapons, gas cans, cell phone turned off, etc. The state will restate their case for conviction during closing argument and I expect JM will underscore the steps JA took to try to cover her tracks and ultimately the crime for which if she is convicted of committing could send her to Death row.

Did you notice the look on Jodi's face as she tried to stare this woman down? I wonder if the jury can see the look in Jodi's eyes. It was chilling. Perfect example of the saying: "If looks could kill."

Compare the "dog under the buffet table" look she gives the jury when they come and go against the look she gave the lady shrink. :floorlaugh: She goes from poor me to kill you in about 3 seconds. Truly one crazy lady!

OMG this reminds me of a conversation my DD and I had last night. Something from Pinterest where it said that this young generation has never had the experience of SLAMMING the phone down in the cradle when you are mad.....all the younger kids can do is POKE THEIR PHONE WITH THEIR FINGER OVER AND OVER AGAIN.... :floorlaugh::floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

LOVE slamming the phone (good old days, for me) :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

I noticed she was confident and was responding appropriately to someone who was basically calling her an infant in the psychology field. Just because she's been a psychologist for a shorter amount of time than others doesn't mean she doesn't know what she's doing. She seemed more than capable.

After the way ALV spoke to JM, I cut her some slack in her demeanor toward JW and I think the jury will do the same. She spoke the truth, something ALV nor Samuels did much of. JW came across as pi$$ed at the fact that someone had finally nailed down the facts when it comes to JA's behavior and what she did and didn't do and it came out in her tone and questioning. Very off-putting. :twocents:

Actually, I think DD was responding in the same manner as Dr. Horn did to JW's questions. It was almost as if DD does not understand why JW is having an issue. Her CV is what it is as she has not "padded" it with a lot of unnecessary lectures she has done. JW almost sounds disappointed because DD has not given her some examples of lectures so there is something to pick apart such as "Was Snow White a Psycho" or some other catchy phrase. lol

Another thing I noticed. JW stands at the podium which puts DD's eye direction right towards Jodi. If I had someone staring at me the way Jodi is staring at DD it would be unnerving to me also, expert or not.

Mine, too. Before she was Dx'd, she was very evil to me and other family members. I had no idea what was going on, and honestly just termed her "crazy".

She spent 2 months in the Menninger Clinic, where they pronounced her as bi-polar and BPD with narcissistic traits. That Dx was a godsend.

Today, she functions pretty well, but her illness strained our wonderful relationship. Although I love her, we will never have the same mother-daughter bond we once had.

I'm convinced she doesn't "love" like most people, and she's still very manipulative. It's a heartbreaking condition.

bbm
i would like to take a moment and thank all of you wonderful folks on this board that have shared their stories. i have learned so much during this case. :moo:

Slightly OT but not really. I am so freaking obsessed AGAIN with this case...yesterday I got home and tried to hurry up and pull up WAT on laptop....had my phone streaming and grabbed my Nook with headphones just in case....I was sitting there with THREE - count 'em -- THREE devices streaming the trial all at once.

My daughter said I need an intervention.

I think we can all agree that we look at Jodi and see what we see which is not a DV victim. I do not think the jury even needs an expert to prove that Jodi was the abuser. I believe this expert has a much better handle on evaluating Jodi because of the fact she has spent time with inmates and her knowledge in her field is still fresh and not tainted by life experiences. ALV had some serious baggage, along with Dr. Samuels appearing to have some baggage, too. Look at the difference in going through her experience with Juan and this direct. Less than a day. Then look at ALV and how long JW took to question her. ALV has a lot of experience and knowledge but she clearly was biased in her evaluation of Jodi. Jodi played to her and ALV bought it. I think if ALV is looking at all the evidence now after her testimony she probably feels used by the defense pretty much the same way the Hughes feel at this point. jmo

i agree with your point, but ALV isn't a psychologist. her experience and knowledge is limited to DV. she's a 'star' in that field. she can't test because she's not qualified to test. she seems to work with anecdotal evidence and cites a lot of studies, very unlike what DD does. it's apples and oranges between her and DD.

and with ALV, i thought it was obvious she was trying to make this case fit into her little suitcase of DV, and it just doesn't. that's why her answers were torturous and convoluted. and some of her answers made it clear she was NOT being objective at all. JA showed no 'pattern of manipulation.' really, alyce? JA didn't lie before the murder. how does she KNOW that? she doesn't but she said it anyway.

Compare the "dog under the buffet table" look she gives the jury when they come and go against the look she gave the lady shrink. :floorlaugh: She goes from poor me to kill you in about 3 seconds. Truly one crazy lady!

Yep. Also when comparing her distant affect in front of the jury to how animated she is with JW the moment they leave the courtroom.

While most of us think that Jodi suffers from more than one mental disorder, there appears to be some confusion about the seven personality issues as it relates to Dr. DeMarte's testimony on Monday. Dr. D. said Jodi scored 65 or higher in seven of the nine symptoms typically found in people with BPD. Juan Martinez asked Dr. D to go through the BPD symptoms one by one. She'd name a symptom, he wrote it on a piece of paper that was displayed on the overhead/screens, the doctor would describe the symptom, Juan would ask if it applied to Jodi, the doctor said yes (or no) and if yes, provided concrete examples of how the symptom manifested itself in Jodi. Very effective and efficient technique. The two used the same approach to shred Dr. Samuels finding of PTSD. Using the test that Samuel's gave Jodi, Juan wrote down each symptom, the doctor gave a brief explanation and then examples of how Jodi's behavior didn't jive with the finding of PTSD. Also brilliant was the complete dismantling of the fog/memory issue.

Also thought it was interesting that Juan attempted to bring in something called adjustment disorder. Willmott objected and after a lengthy sidebar, we didn't hear anything more about it.

I thought JM was masterful in not only presenting what JA is afflicted with but also what she is not.

BTW and a little OT - love your nic, I read 'Go Ask Alice' way back when, still remember how moving/impactful that was.

LOVE slamming the phone (good old days, for me) :floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Yep. At my old job, people up and down the hall said they could tell when a salesman got through to me on the phone ...... all they heard was WHAM when the phone got slammed down. :floorlaugh:

None of the personality disorders are just "nothing." One of my jobs is working in a mental health ER and also in a subacute unit. 12 hours of dealing with with one or more people who are diagnosed with at least one (and who usually have a diagnosis that is biochemical as well) will wear you down so much mentally and emotionally. For those who must deal with this regularly I truly salute you. If I could, I would rather deal with several detoxing addicts or several with biochemical disorders unmedicated then deal with someone who has one or more personality disorders in all seriousness.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Amen!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members