trial day 49: REBUTTAL; #150

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ack. I am up late, 3rd time posting in 2 days, while trying to ween off obsessing over this case. As I’ve mentioned, I've only got this involved on WS with Kyron Horman’s case, and I was active there. I can’t stop watching this case, and am waiting for it to be over in due process, and pray for justice to prevail for Travis. I piped up for the first time after lurking for months yesterday.

Frustrated about the abrupt halt today, I went on croakerqueen123’s youtube. Somehow ended up on Day 25, Part 3.

Jodi Arias Trial - Day 25 - Part 3 - YouTube

Juan had established she left the camera by the bathtub (0:03:22), and then he asks if she was carrying the camera when she ran down the hallway, and her response is “not the first time I ran down the hallway” (0:04:26). At 0:11:01 we see Exhibit 163, a photo in the hallway.

Have I missed more blatant examination about the discrepancies here? I don’t recall Juan literally pointing out, “Hey, you just said you dropped the camera and it stayed there after he lunged at you, but this is a HALLWAY and Travis is obviously fatally bleeding,” in direct words, just dots to connect. Is that yet to come?

In the main picture used to show Jodi dragging Travis, I'd always thought the spot on the upper right was a pool of blood, didn’t see Travis' foot. But, I see it now. That perspective to me says that camera was on her, swinging from her on a strap, the entire time :/ Will this be point blank pointed out the the jurors, or just left to their note taking? Or do I need to rewatch more trial time? I have to listen on my earphones on my phone at work...

Again, up too late. Frustrated.

BBM: The strap! Early on there was testimony (and we saw the footage) that the strap was inside the camera bag. It was new and unused, straight from the manufacturer. I assumed it was the strap for the camera. Now you've got me wondering if it could have been a strap for the camera bag itself?

As I sign off, I can’t help but share that I think of this when I’ve been watching Jodi the last few days (no offense to Simon, who is AWESOME):

http://youtu.be/arTBmh89iOw

I’m hoping this isn’t violation of WS. If it is, hopefully just a delete post/warning.

Pages ago, someone asked about how many day's court was cancelled due to JA. Jodi's about 9 days early for her "monthly" migraine. The previous 2 were on the 26th and 27th respectively. Of course, Judge said today that there was going to be no court on April 26th, so I guess she couldn't call in sick that day to be consistent.

I think so. Someone posted a great picture upthread with both the judge and Juan wearing big smiles. Something funny was shared but I don't know what it was.

Pretty sure they were laughing at JA's bogus cough act. Check out JW when that happens - almost an eyeroll - real close.

I agree. It sounded like she said something like "I'll 'GETCHA' those pages" or something to that effect.

The best I could make out was "You Betcha"

Kind of like Sarah Palin would say.

I was just telling my DW last night about a time when I was about 13 years old working in the fields raking blueberries. We used to play gags on each other to pass the day quicker. One of the guys I was working near was in his early to mid 20s and one of the guys did something to his lunch box, I can't remember the details but the lunch box was in sad shape after the incident. I was shocked to see this 20's something year old man cry from fear of going home to his wife because she would beat him. It was sad yet funny at the time to see a grown man cry over such a gag and be afraid of his wife. Now that I am older and a bit wiser, I often worry about him and wonder what ever happened to him.

I know a gentleman that is totally controlled by his mentally abusive wife. It is real sad. Luckily nothing physical, but the demeaning behavior that she does to him in public is very sad. He is submissive to her and it is just a sad situation. I've learned how complex these types of relationships are because he definitely does not object or do anything about it. He professes his love to her and seems happy.

To outside people, it just seems so strange how somebody could put up with it. Just glad no physical abuse is involved. That we know of at least.

Pretty sure they were laughing at JA's bogus cough act. Check out JW when that happens - almost an eyeroll - real close.

Jodi ALWAYS has to add something to her lie to push it. Reminds me of that park scene in the movie 'Invention of Lying'. Can't find a video.

Something like:
'I saved a baby from a burning building and a bear by jumping out of a 10th story into a vat of strawberry jam. The bear jumped out too, but he died because the jam splashed out when I jumped into it first.' ROFL

I notice when the deputy brought JA back in, he walked in front of her through the door. I find that a little surprising given all the 'stuff' he's got on his belt.

At the ~1:50 mark, JW flashes a little grin like she's really pleased with herself. Then Nurmi turns his back on the jury to talk to JW. That seems pretty disrespectful - he couldn't wait 5 seconds?

Who is the blonde the judge called up at the end? She carried a bag, so presumably she wasn't a courthouse employee.

Does anyone remember what exhibit 635 was? When JW tried to bring it up before court was cancelled JM madean objection to it. He was very passionate in his objection. I usually have a pretty goo memoryfor the exhib#s but that one escaped me today.

Was that the one where the defense tried to surprise JD with something from Samuels that a) JW had not brought up during her endless direct and redirect of him and b) had never been shared with the prosecution as part of discovery?

Anyone still here? Boy, Nancy Grace finally had her BOMBSHELL TONIGHT moment tonight.....I wondered why JW would "dangle" that accusation that Lenore Walker no longer uses the criteria she used to use. (Without backing it up with proof). The witness looked absolutely stunned at that notion, and told her no, she didn't agree and was unaware of that. That got me curious - I started googling and found this: http://lawandjusticegov.org/psychol...he-battered-women-syndrome-questionnaire.html

Then I tried to get a PDF of this questionnaire that was put together by many people including "To gain insight into BWS and its effect on women across cultures, Lenore Walker and colleagues are continuing the validation process for the Revised Battered Woman Syndrome Questionnaire 2003 (BWSQ–3). Given the violence against women as a universal phenomenon, it is essential to interview women from various cultures. Consequently, data from interviews have been gathered from Russia, Spain, Greece, Colombia, and South Florida. Furthermore, the research has recently begun to take into account incarcerated women who report a history of battering relationships".

I couldn't find it but wanted to compare the alleged "new criteria" to LW's former criteria. So I went and did my thing in the kitchen and my husband somehow flipped the channel to Nancy Grace.....I couldn't believe it - She had LW as her guest. LW stated that she STILL uses the same criteria that this witness uses and also went on to say that she has not yet seen anything in this case that relates to BWS to JA but I don't remember her reason for that.

Forgive me if some one already linked this, but here it is:

Re battered woman: "That's not what she heard yet in this trial".

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/04/17/jodi-arias-battered-woman-syndrome-author-lenora-walker

you just described her perfectly. I now am seeing this person totally disassociated from reality - completely! The movie I thought of was "Crush". I really hate that BPD is in the news like it is. Seriously.

I remember one of the THs a few weeks ago said something along the lines of (except better than this): "Jodi has learned to imitate people so she can look like a human being without actually being one."

I just listened to Walker speak while reading your list and it was basically the same. For example, the first one was referenced as "re-experiencing" and only depression was referenced in connection with the third. This list is different than the one NG put up in the video. So I'm assuming DeMarte referenced the 2009 edition, not an earlier edition, yes?

eta: I didn't mean "your list" literally, I meant the list you posted. Thanks, btw!

Demarte did make reference to 2009 when talking about Walker.

The one big thing that stood out to me today was the very limitted objections by Juan Martinez. To me that speaks volumes of his faith in his expert witness, and not once did she look to him for help, unlike Dr. Samuels or ALV who were constantly looking to the DT for hints on how to answer or begging for an objection to get their butts out of hot water. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this one lady a solid 10 as an expert witness.

That has been quite obvious to me as well. I had asked a question on the legal page related to JW's annoying objections and part of the reply was that JM in general probably objects less than we'd expect because he wants to appear more open to the jury. That's really becoming obvious with this witness. It's JW who needs to be bailed out, not JD. JD seemed a touch nervous in that 45 minutes on Tue, but she did a great job yesterday.

Did y'all hear JW try to accuse either the witness or JM of copyright violations today?! What a dam joke. JW is either very ignorant when it comes to the law of copyrights or she was once again trying to intimidate. There was no C/R violation with her reviewing evidence with JM. The DT has nothing for this witness and it is obvious.

And if anything I got the impression that her own witness RS had tried to cheat the test company out of a few bucks in what he administered.

We saw that same silly pattern over and over, where like that she reminded the jury of something that her "experts" did terribly. Other examples: Reminding the jury that her two "experts" have probably wasted 10x the amount of money that JD has cost and reminding the jury that it was her witness who padded her CV with the "non-keynote keynote" addresses.

I heard many times in this case, you're supposed to have a good faith basis when you suggest something in a question. If this is good faith, JW was badly misinformed. They don't even need Walker to testify to prove it. They can just produce her book. It says the same 6 criteria still on page 42.

The Battered Woman Syndrome - Lenore E. Walker - 3rd Edition (2009)

Producing the book would not be sufficient, because in theory she could have changed methods since then but not written a new edition of the book yet.

But I wonder whether there is anything short of calling LW as a witness JM can do. In redirect it would be interesting if he reviewed that Q&A with JD and then said, "Now I'd like you to review this affidavit we received from Lenore Walker after Ms Willmott made that claim via her question." It wouldn't matter whether it actually get in or not, the bell would be rung.

Is a witness from a SLC Walmart really going to be called? Seems a bit unrealistic to me since the point has already been made. Jodi had the purchase receipt, but no signed return receipt. Case closed on that point, IMO.

I can understand why they would still be on the witness rebuttal list for reasons to psych out the defense. But, the defense has bigger lies to contend with than the matter of the elusive gas can. Too much other evidence proves the same premeditation. That gas can has already been proven to be with Jodi.

To add to what katydid23 replied, from here on out JM is going to bring up witnesses just to make a few quick points. The general theme will be that Jodi lied on the stand about X, and therefore JM's claim of premeditation is the only way the jury can see it.

I think the DT is jealous and JW is trying to get the jury to see how 'green' this witness is to which JW is failing miserably. But I say, quality over quantity thing and I'll bet the jury is thinking the same. I kind of like the fact that JW keeps bringing up how knowledgeable Dr JD is. I keep calling out, "you go JW, give the brilliant doctor another gold star!". I really don't know what the DT is thinking.

Given that JW claims to have trained many lawyers, if I were a criminal I don't think I'd choose to carry out my trade in Maricopa County.

Is a witness from a SLC Walmart really going to be called? Seems a bit unrealistic to me since the point has already been made. Jodi had the purchase receipt, but no signed return receipt. Case closed on that point, IMO.

I can understand why they would still be on the witness rebuttal list for reasons to psych out the defense. But, the defense has bigger lies to contend with than the matter of the elusive gas can. Too much other evidence proves the same premeditation. That gas can has already been proven to be with Jodi.

On the other hand this would be a really quick, sort of low hanging fruit witness. From what I've read there are still quite a few people who seem to find the gas cans for driving across the desert to be logical.

What's not logical is "needing" to have 3 gas cans. Here's where is crossing 'reasonable' to me. If it also proves she lied directly to the jury it's another nail...imo :jail:

The best I could make out was "You Betcha"

Kind of like Sarah Palin would say.

Hatfield, my DH agrees with you.

I had a personal experience of being misunderstood by some high school students.

I had my back to the classroom to unplug the TV (because one of my mischievous students had purloined the remote and was turning on the TV). I said, "I'm the mother of six adolescent children so I know lots of little tricks."

A couple of girls ran to the teacher next door and said I'd cursed at the class.

One of the girls said," Mrs. C called us a bunch of m..f..sick adolescent children! What does adolescent mean?"

The other teacher knew I didn't use that kind of language. When I faced the class and repeated my words, I got sighs and lots of aplogies.

In fact, I still have the Hallmark card that one of the students gave me, with her sweet little apology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro