Trial Discussion Thread #1 - 14.03.03-06, Day 1-4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
one thing that was certain today, was that Charl Johnsons notes he took contemporaneously were spang on with what he said in his first statement, and what he testified to on the witness stand..

thankgod his laptop worked, and he was able to retrieve them at Roux's demand..

I am sure that if it was me, I would have probably chunked them somewhere under a name I cant remember a year later..

Couple of minor observations. (Thanks ever so for generous comments about some other stuff I said, by the way).

The musicianly sense of gunshot rhythm claimed on behalf of Michelle Burger might sound a bit precious, but I'm sure many of us will instinctively understand it. Although I'm not a musician, if I'm in a room where a clock is chiming the hour, and I've paid it no attention so far but I suddenly become actively conscious of it late on in the chimes, I can glance at the clock and immediately know how many chimes are still to come. I certainly wouldn't call it a talent! But I think there is an innate rhythmic auditory memory that some people have - which might seem improbable to those who don't possess it. So even though a person's perception might be expected to be a bit hazy in the moments after being woken up, if they feel that they know they heard exactly four gunshots (or whatever), there's a good chance they're right. I think it's the sort of thing which bypasses the conscious intellect, whilst still registering.

I don't fancy the cricket bat/gunshot confusion at all, for reasons of sound (regardless of whether they're sound reasons). However, if you do think there could be something in it, I'd say don't dismiss the theory simply because it's impossible to make repeated swings of a bat with the required rapidity. It's true that a cricket bat is quite a weighty object (about 3 pounds), and rapid swinging or chopping motions would be very difficult to achieve. But if I was trying to break a door down with a bat, I'd grip it in much the same way as a canoeist grips a paddle in that half-kneeling stance they adopt. So I'd be pummelling away at the door, with the bat at shoulder level and oscillating longitudinally. That way I'd have a better chance of concentrating the damage done onto the same part of the door, rather than just distributing gashes all over it. If you have strong wrists (as OP probably does) you could easily administer three powerful strikes per second that way.

I agree and confess I had not thought of using the bat as a "paddle" in which case he could have "poked" at the door for want of a better description but the door was pretty hefty. Whether he could have broken it with that stance I am unsure but forensics will be able to explain exactly how the hits were made. Thanks for pointing that out.

I think its reasonable to question what people think they hear vs. what they really hear. What I find more relevant, is that the Dr. on the stand says that the lights in the bathroom were on when he was on the balcony. (which I believe was after the first "bangs" and before the last ones). In O.P. statement, it is not clear to me when he actually turned the lights on. He says he might have turned them on after he called for help from the balcony. This fact seems more relevant to the actual truth of the matter. I am anxious to hear O.P.'s testimony as to when he actually turned the lights on.

A thought just occurred to me (oh dear - lol).

I wonder if the Judge has been asking Dr. Stipp to speak louder (by saying that his voice is getting softer) because she's riveted by his testimony and doesn't want to miss a word of it?

I didn't find it hard to hear him at all. He was easier (for me) to hear than Mr. Johnson, who was much more soft-spoken.

I agree and confess I had not thought of using the bat as a "paddle" in which case he could have "poked" at the door for want of a better description but the door was pretty hefty. Whether he could have broken it with that stance I am unsure but forensics will be able to explain exactly how the hits were made. Thanks for pointing that out.

But would poking at the door like that make loud noises like bullets?

So at 4:17 am the Security chief Stander called up the Radiologist to inform him that OP's lawyer may phone him, but why?

Next after Hilton Botha arrested him for murder and send him to the police station for a routine examination, he refused to give a written statement on the advice of his lawyer.

Here we go. Roux is challenging Dr. Stipp's hearing of 3 bangs that he identified as gunshots.

Roux is trying the cricket bat sounds and gunshot sounds on Dr Stipp.. Stipp letting Roux take his question all around the mulberry bush without interrupting to answer.. waiting till its quite clear Roux has come to the end of whatever question it is.. Roux is putting it to Dr Stipp the timing of the sounds and the rhythm and quality of the shots..

Stipp is paraphrasing Roux s question back it him, to make sure he is clear on the question.

Does someone have handy the timeline of events that was posted here in the past day or to for reposting now? We have new information and wanted to see how 3:17 phone call fits into it.

TIA

Roux is stating that the LAST 4 sounds were cricket bat sounds.. huh??

Oscar is going to walk away from this a free man...:banghead:

nope.. Dr is going to tell his story his way.. politely rejected Roux's version.

Roux: "When you woke up, because of the shots."

So Roux is apparently admitting that what Dr. Stipp initially heard were shots.

Did Roux forget to correct himself this time?

Roux says the Dr wouldn't keep his eye on the time. but his whole training is keeping an eye on the time. the man is a radiologist. Roux wants the sequence of events to be different that what each witness testifies to.

Roux is handling this bloke all wrong.. I suspect the Dr wont be led by Mr Roux.

'You are quite confident about bang bang bang, but you weren't in your statement....sometimes you have an idea in your mind and it might not be reliable'

'She still screamed for a second or two after the last shot was fired.'

Which would make sense if the last shot was to the head. I still want to know why there were 2 cell phones on the bath mat (one covered in blood).

MOO

Mel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members