Trial Discussion Thread #37 - 14.05.12 Day 30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup. Oooops. Roux's strategy backfired once again. Nel is getting great milage out of it. He's just made of awesome. :loveyou:

he also got another expert to testify that op had said to them that he wanted to shoot an intruder but shot rs by mistake instead ....

so am i right gotta be at least murder conviction by op telling experts and witnesses that he thought it was an intruder and wanted to shoot them?.Surly that is a big plus for nel each time someone else testify s he said it.....

Correct. And he has a clear memory of events.
This witness should have been called during the sentencing phase.

What? How many times did we hear "I can't remember My Lady" or "I'm unsure".

he also got another expert to testify that op had said to them that he wanted to shoot an intruder but shot rs by mistake instead ....

so am i right gotta be at least murder conviction by op telling experts and witnesses that he thought it was an intruder and wanted to shoot them?.Surly that is a big plus for nel each time someone else testify s he said it.....

It's like Roux has constructed a very flimsy safety net for OP and he keeps giving Nel a great big scissors to cut holes in it. There won't be any net left by the time Nel is done ..

What an epic own goal, defence psychiatrist just took this to dolus eventualis.

This trial is going to go down in the annals of history as one of the most bizarre criminal trials of all time. Leaves OJ Simpson for dead IMO.

<modsnip>

BBM

I believe that there was a bit of to-ing and fro-ing between Nel and Dr. V. about that. GAD is classified as a mental illness or disorder. I think Nel was attempting to clarify that OP did not suffer from a mental defect, which means something else entirely but can result in impaired mental function. That would mean a neurological deficiency, which could be the result of even a mild head injury (eg. from an accident).

What we heard from Vorster was a miracle,.. a real and substantial one.. or it was the biggest load of horse puckey so far in this trial.. the theory, portrayed as reality, that Oscar can somehow divest himself of his handicapping anxiety and fear of intruders the moment he leaves South Africa!!.. not only that, but the moment he returns to South Africa, this debilitating and murderous anxiety reasserts itself!!..

what she is saying is that all women in South Africa are unsafe, but every woman outside South Africa is safe from Oscar's disability.... that Oscar is only provoked by this terrible anxiety to fire at will and at whim while in South Africa but nowhere else!!.. on earth!!..

surely, somewhere , someone can put this new discovery to some relevant purpose??

My house is also getting dustier and dustier and dustier.

Not to mention the ironing basket. It's huge. Just tell yourself that these things can wait because we'll never get to see anything like this again. Which is more important?

I have this problem on a regular basis. Just go either forward or backward a page and then return to the page you were on, and bingo, the Thanks button is there again.

I learned last night there's a better way. Close the yellow triangle, if you get one, and then click on refresh. It's worked for me every single time. One or other of these two options should work.

I think you've missed the point. <modsnip> (Delusions are fixed beliefs that are not amenable to change in light of conflicting evidence--no one has argued this!) and away from your original misunderstanding of the definition of delusion, which was:It is within the laws of physics that the police are out to get Oscar so it is not considered a delusion.

The point I was making was 'physical impossibility' is not a phrase that is interchangeable with 'laws of physics'.

The laws of physics, by definition, are comprised of the sciences of energy, matter, motion, and force, not 'physical impossibilities' and/or statistics and logic, and despite the word physical having the root word, physic embedded within.

The laws of physics have little to nothing to do with the diagnosis of psychiatric disorders, least of all bizarre or non-bizarre delusions.

I'm not sure what DSM definition you've found that encompasses the phrase 'laws of physics'. I'm guessing it's not the definition for non-bizarre delusions, as you have repeatedly either denied the existence of non-bizarre delusions as being psychiatrically recognized (wrong!), or denied that you ever had the definition incorrect.

Originally Posted by Carmelita

:fence:
Why does anyone care what the current DSM says? This is a discipline that, as late as the early to mid 70's, in the then current DSM, classified homosexuality as a mental disorder.

This is pseudo-science. There is no agreement on definitions of terms and changes in classifications of mental disorders occur by VOTING. Lots of woo here. If Economics is the dismal science, then what is this?

I wish to add that I am not finding fault with the quoted passage any more than others on this subject; I simply used it as a point of departure.

RSBM

YES, completely 100% yes I am really growing to love those moments where he is clearly thinking very very carefully and cautiously and quickly to say exactly what he wants to say and how he wants to say it. It's like he has a 1,000 piece puzzle memorized in his head and he's picking out the pieces and putting them where he wants them to go, in his head in lightning speed.

Very impressive! Roux just pales in comparison. He tries to do a coy charming smile instead, but the skills just aren't there behind it.

Roux doesn't "do" coy very well. He seems more "cloying."

im in the uk and i think shaggy sums him up with his song "it wasn't me" :floorlaugh:

It's funny/ironic that you mention this song because ever since I heard OP's version/s that song popped into my head.

If Oscar Pistorius is a danger to society like I just heard on the news, just because he has generalized anxiety disorder?? Well, I have it too, not to mention PTSD, OCD, and depression. Does that mean I'M a danger to society too??

No unless of course you just recently killed some one as well but forget to mention it here :)

~rsbm~

There was a funny moment toward the end when m'lady asked Nel in her gentle way something like, "Is that what you are saying?" and Nel, who'd been getting advice from a bald fellow behind him that I hadn't seen before, smilingly answered something like, "A moment please m'lady while I turn around and find out what I'm saying." lol

Yes, that was a great moment. Although I thought he was speaking to the psychologist on his team, the woman sitting right next to that guy.

I learned last night there's a better way. Close the yellow triangle, if you get one, and then click on refresh. It's worked for me every single time. One or other of these two options should work.

What yellow triangle? (just kidding.) ...actually, I don't have a yellow triangle.

Budgie, I do believe that 04009Margaret was being sarcastic in her post. I don't believe that the original poster (Margaret) really thought that Roux putting Vorster on the stand was a good idea for OP's defense.

It did make me laugh LOL. I did thank Budgie for the response, he/she brought a smile to my face, so that's a good thing.

Does anyone think that the Defense is going to wrap up their CIC tomorrow/today (Tuesday)? And if not, will Roux/Defense blame it on Nel because of the way today/yesterday went with Nel saying that he is going to file the application for psychiatric testing to be done on OP?

Just heard on CNN, not Kelly Phelps, that OP could face life in a mental institution.

I thought that was Van Staden back there he was talking to??

The woman behind Nel is the one that was handing him the notes dealing with the psychiatrist and it looked to me as if that is who Nel was asking the answer from to Mi'lady's question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase