Trial Discussion Thread #53 - 14.12.9, Day 42 ~ final verdict~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not even a slap on the wrist. How galling for the Steenkamp family. He is effectively still a free man.

Oscar Pistorius to remain out on bail until the sentencing hearing
by emily.smith 9:01 PM

Now for the sentencing hearing date.

Masipa asks Roux to talk to Pistorius' uncle to make sure there are no more "complications" when the sentencing hearing begins.
by emily.smith 9:04 PM

Sentencing is set for October 13th. Court is adjourned.

http://cnnworldlive.cnn.com/Event/Os...torius_trial_4

Wow, she's really got it in for the state, hasn't she :rolleyes: .. this is deffo an indication of the sentence she is going to give then, he's just going to get a suspended sentence, otherwise she would've jailed him right now.

UN-FRIGGING-BELIEVABLE!

J: Mr Roux - pls speak to uncle of the accused. It's essential there aren't any further complications...

Adjourned

Oscar Pistorius to remain out on bail until the sentencing hearing

Now for the sentencing hearing date.

Roux says they'd like an October date - the 13th til the 16th to be exact.

13th til the 17th he corrects himself.

Nel says that suits the state

Masipa asks Roux to talk to Pistorius' uncle to make sure there are no more "complications" when the sentencing hearing begins.

Sentencing is set for October 13th. Court is adjourned.

http://cnnworldlive.cnn.com/Event/Oscar_Pistorius_trial_4

So, judge Masipa has effectively put uncle arnold on a warning - keep an eye on Oscar. No more trouble!

More technical issues around bail …if the State had said they were surprised by the sale of houses the judge may have considered differently. Or, if they had put an application earlier after the self-harm/suicide possibility....

Oct 13th, the sentencing date start, a black Friday, or any other day?

BIB .. absolutely, and I cannot BELIEVE that the judge accepted at face value that OP was trying to resuscitate Reeva at the scene, and was genuinely distressed, when Dr Stipp turned up .. it's common knowledge that perpetrators of domestic violence can put on these sorts of displays for others, or can lie ('I thought she was an intruder') at the drop of a hat! I know mine could! JM's ignorance about domestic violence and abuse, and the way it works, is absolutely JAW DROPPING.

How it has been deemed there was not enough evidence is beyond me, too .. all the blood trail along the carpet, up onto the duvet on the floor with the jeans on, which meant the fan could not have been where OP said it was .. what happened to all of that? Along with heaps of other stuff, and ear witness accounts (which should NOT have been thrown out, just because they were not identical .. you would never expect them to be). It's the 'MOSAIC' that Nel kept talking about, that was the important thing .. and Masipa has totally disregarded the lot of it. Disgraceful! .. and yet, she kept using various statements provided by OP and deemed them to be the truth, even though there were no other witnesses other than Reeva? She even took the toilet door as being locked as gospel truth .. well where is the judge's evidence for that toilet door being locked? Why is it that she can throw out various bits of evidence because she thinks it's unreliable, but then add in various bits of 'evidence' (because it suits a CH verdict) but for which there is also no actual hard evidence to support it. It's like a 'pick and mix' and if she is going to say that the evidence to convict him of knowingly murdering Reeva was unreliable, then equally her own evidence for convicting him of CH is also just as unreliable, if you are going to work on her basis.
RBBM

I was pondering that same thing this morning. I've seen many officers of the court have little understanding of the way an abusive relationship evolves - in many jurisdictions, abuse victims are required to attend mediation with their abusers; exchange children with them, etc. And in some of those jurisdictions, abuse victims could lose custody of their children if they don't comply with court orders. We have a very, very long way to go before people really understand the dynamics behind abuse.

To me, OP's treatment of Reeva is absolutely textbook emotional abuse. Domestic violence almost always begins with emotional abuse and in some cases, it can be far more damaging than physical violence. I believe this goes beyond Oscar and Reeva - whether one believes he intentionally murdered her (or not); whether one believes he was abusive (or just having a bad day)...

If someone you love is being hurt, belittled, threatened, intimidated, criticized, humiliated, etc. by someone they love it isn't ever okay. It isn't fickle and it doesn't take two to tango. Until we change our own definitions, identify abusive behaviours, and hold people accountable when they mistreat others (from the schoolyard bully to the wife batterer) we're destined to replay the same record over and over. Too many people, still, reason and justify abusive behaviours - judges included. ;)

(I know you know all this already, jay-jay, just had to bounce off your great post. Apologies to everyone for my soapbox moment - the judge so cavalierly terming their relationship as fickle really got to me - especially with her track record for domestic violence. But abuse comes in many forms....)

JMO and FWIW

It's probably okay. Oscar can probably go a month without an outburst.......can't he?

UUGGGHHHHH.......:furious:

She asks Roux to speak to the Uncle, to keep an eye on his nephew? SERIOUSLY? No accountability for Oscar, just tell Uncle Arnie to keep him in check?

She seems to think of him as if he is a child!

Not even a slap on the wrist. How galling for the Steenkamp family. He is effectively still a free man.
I noticed that the parents had already left. I guess they couldn't take any more. What a kick in the teeth.

South Africa ~ where it is still possible for a wealthy white family to buy a black woman....

Reeva-Steenkamp.jpg
mirror.co.uk/incoming/article2184439.ece/alternates/s615b/Reeva-Steenkamp.jpg
So Sorry Reeva, Justice will have to wait....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mamagoldman