Trial Discussion Thread #53 - 14.12.9, Day 42 ~ final verdict~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She has no plans to sentence him to any jail time. That's why she warned Uncle Arnie to keep him in line---otherwise she might be forced to.

UUGGGHHHHH.......:furious:

She asks Roux to speak to the Uncle, to keep an eye on his nephew? SERIOUSLY? No accountability for Oscar, just tell Uncle Arnie to keep him in check?

She seems to think of him as if he is a child!

I think it is the Social Worker in her. I have seen it happen in the UK - way too much lenience, no tough love. This is probably why OP is like he is and she continues to encourage it.

Not only am I disgusted with her verdict and granting a killer bail, I am thoroughly disgusted by the way she addressed the prosecution, she was almost mocking them .. absolutely disgraceful.

Now who was it that said there is no way he would get bail after the verdict? That it just won't happen.

LOL I can see the argument now - well it is different with CH. I don't think so.

I would like to have seen what the bail conditions are. It seems to me that nothing has been changed. He can go abroad, drink, etc. Did I miss something?

I said it. And standby it. If it was murder, he wouldn't get bail. Masipa even mentioned that as it was a section 7 offence not 5 or 6 there is onus on the state. Plus we were taking about bail pending appeal.

Anyway, hope bragging doesn't give you too much pleasure, it's not healthy. I'm just still dumbfounded he literally got away with murder.

All our hopes now pinned to sentencing.

From the Guardian. What an ambassador the International Paralympic Committee will have. Hope there is a large and vocal backlash against this.

Craig Spence, the IPC’s director of media and communications, told BBC Radio 5 Live: “Oscar’s done a great deal for the Paralympic movement, he’s been an inspiration to millions, but obviously his priority now is to see [what] the judge decides. And then if he wishes to resume his athletics career then we wouldn’t step in his way, we would allow him to compete again in the future.”

Did anyone seriously have any hope that Masipistorian would deny him bail?, there was no chance, she will no doubt let him walk free next month as well.

Not only am I disgusted with her verdict and granting a killer bail, I am thoroughly disgusted by the way she addressed the prosecution, she was almost mocking them .. absolutely disgraceful.

I thought that too. Seems like she thinks the state did a piss poor job.

Presumably the Judge's self imposed media ban is over - I wonder if she'll be surprised by how few people believe his "version"?

SA Press Association ‏@SapaNews 3m
Shortly after 1pm Friday #OscarPistorius out on bail after found guilty of culpable homicide and 1 firearms act charge. Sentencing Oct 13

She asks Roux to speak to the Uncle, to keep an eye on his nephew? SERIOUSLY? No accountability for Oscar, just tell Uncle Arnie to keep him in check?

....and she is his Governess.

ENCA are reporting that Uncle Arnold may be addressing the press shortly. I think if true it is highly inappropriate prior to sentencing

RBBM

I was pondering that same thing this morning. I've seen many officers of the court have little understanding of the way an abusive relationship evolves - in many jurisdictions, abuse victims are required to attend mediation with their abusers; exchange children with them, etc. And in some of those jurisdictions, abuse victims could lose custody of their children if they don't comply with court orders. We have a very, very long way to go before people really understand the dynamics behind abuse.

To me, OP's treatment of Reeva is absolutely textbook emotional abuse. Domestic violence almost always begins with emotional abuse and in some cases, it can be far more damaging than physical violence. I believe this goes beyond Oscar and Reeva - whether one believes he intentionally murdered her (or not); whether one believes he was abusive (or just having a bad day)...

If someone you love is being hurt, belittled, threatened, intimidated, criticized, humiliated, etc. by someone they love it isn't ever okay. It isn't fickle and it doesn't take two to tango. Until we change our own definitions, identify abusive behaviours, and hold people accountable when they mistreat others (from the schoolyard bully to the wife batterer) we're destined to replay the same record over and over. Too many people, still, reason and justify abusive behaviours - judges included. ;)

(I know you know all this already, jay-jay, just had to bounce off your great post. Apologies to everyone for my soapbox moment - the judge so cavalierly terming their relationship as fickle really got to me - especially with her track record for domestic violence. But abuse comes in many forms....)

JMO and FWIW

'Xactly, terrific post and considerations, as always BritsKate.

Experts themselves are even coming to terms with emotional or physical abuse around 'dating violence'. It's hardly started in research let alone covered in legal, medical, public knowledge.

In dating violence, like this case, the usual stressers or warning signs of trouble around of finances, co-habitation, kids, long-term substance abuse, recorded mental instability are not as obvious in young couples. Yet the statistics of homicide seem similar...

I know - right??!! She even referred to Uncle Arnold as "the one looking after him (OP)".

It's outrageous that a grown man is being treated like a child who isn't responsible for his actions. I'm so angry I could spit.

Yep, Judge Masipa is in on it. She's not going to give him prison time on October 13 anyway, and the pistoriuses know it, therefore he is not a flight risk. Bail granted.

I hope his friends start sending him Capt. Morgans Rum and invite him to lots of clubs. The only was he is getting locked up next month is if he gets in another bar fight or shoots through a sunroof.

ENCA are reporting that Uncle Arnold may be addressing the press shortly. I think if true it is highly inappropriate prior to sentencing

That family wouldn't know appropriate if it walked up and slapped them in the face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member