Trial Discussion Thread #53 - 14.12.9, Day 42 ~ final verdict~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sickening isn't it?.
Treating him like some sort of loveable rogue FFS.

Her language is paternal/maternal, how stomach churning. I think it's a revealing insight in how she and the assessors perceive Pistorius. He's literally been spoilt to someone else's death.

People are now suggesting that perhaps reading out Uncle Arnold's address is a deliberate ploy. Maybe Roux wants some backlash or questionable abuse from the public so that the defense can push the line on appeal or mitigation that the televised trial was detrimental to Pistorius case. Unethical legal gameplay, fairly standard.

SA Press Association ‏@SapaNews 2m
It looks like #OscarPistorius's family will make a statement at the court soon instead. Microphones being set up.

I think that you are confusing this continuation of bail "until sentencing" with an application for bail "pending appeal," which will come after he is sentenced. I don't remember any discussion here about him remaing free pending sentencing. Am I right?

and now, following the current path, he will not need bail following sentencing. and it will be the prosecution [if anyone] appealing.

I feel that the judge showed no hint of compassion for Reeva and her family. Whatever her verdict, she should have been mindful of their suffering.

You know, you're absolutely right. That is unforgivable. Masipa gave no ad lib comments or commiserations about this tragedy.

It looks to me that dolus eventualis was ruled out on the most shaky of premises because it would have involved jail time. So, in reality, the verdict came first and the explanation second, even though it was presented to us as a reasoned outcome.

True, I think the consensus was he would remain on bail pending appeal for a murder charge which I provided links, so no surprise he would remain on bail pending sentence on a lesser charge of CH. :fence:

No offense, but I missed your (numerous?) links that documented that convicted murderers most always get bail pending the disposition of their appeal(s). I, and more than a few others, researched the subject and could not find the materials that you apparently found.

Now, back to the present situation, it would be good I feel for the NPA to not wait and to go ahead and start their appeals of Masipa's faulty verdicts.

Well, I've had all I stomach for today. Think I'll skip the family presser...

Thanks trial watchers!! It's always a pleasure spending time you guys :loveyou:

back in oct....

She was saying in effect to uncle Arnold - look after him until October 13, then I'll do the rest.

I think that you are confusing this continuation of bail "until sentencing" with an application for bail "pending appeal," which will come after he is sentenced. I don't remember any discussion here about him remaing free pending sentencing. Am I right?

Hi Viper, I am not sure you are. The impression I was given was that if the verdict was guilty (of what was not mentioned) he would be straight off to jail but it matters not. I have many instances of bail being given to murderers but as a few people seemed to get upset and occasionally rather rude by me mentioning this I decided not to upload any more.

Nel has ensured he will get jail. Thank goodness for that at least. I am hoping that an appeal will determine it was murder but I still don't think OP can be resentenced. I think this was discussed earlier. The officers of the court have to accept they made a mistake and learn from it. Again, I am more than happy to be proved wrong because I think this guy deserves 15 years minimum.

Emily Smith
@EmilySmithCNN

#OscarPistorius leaves court after being found guilty of culpable homicide http://t.co/wHaoPAFfim

f303b8d8-ed6a-46bd-b1be-261736e7400f_500.jpg

Pretoria Rekord ‏@RekordNewspaper 33s
Media setting up in courtroom where the Pistorius family are expected to speak to the media #OscarPistorius has left the court

William Booth now saying that in his opinion Masipa should hand down a lengthy term of imprisonment so as to send out a strong message re shootings of this nature. After what we've seen tonight I just can't see this happening.

BBC Three ‏@bbcthree 1m
.@bbcthree goes inside the trial with exclusive access to Reeva Steenkamp's parents. #OscarPistorius The Truth, Mon 9 http://bit.ly/1wm0aDw

Thanks for this .. I can only hope that Reeva's family and friends find some comfort in the knowledge that they have literally thousands, if not millions, of people behind them, supporting them, knowing that justice has not been served and knowing what the truth of this case really was.

No offense, but I missed your (numerous?) links that documented that convicted murderers most always get bail pending the disposition of their appeal(s). I, and more than a few others, researched the subject and could not find the materials that you apparently found.

Now, back to the present situation, it would be good I feel for the NPA to not wait and to go ahead and start their appeals of Masipa's faulty verdicts.

Jewell Crossberg, I gave the link. :)

Jacaranda Newsteam ‏@JacaNews 1m
Word on the street: people are seemmingly unhappy with Judge Masipa's judgment, they believe the justice system failed #OscarPistorius

wow. 'further complications?' just wow.

Wouldn't it be more 'normal' for the judge to speak to the GROWN UP defendant, and warn him that if he had anymore issues before his next court date, his bail could be rescinded? But instead, she warns his uncle, who is his babysitter apparently, that it's essential to avoid any further complications.

ESSENTIAL for what? For her efforts to keep him out of jail?

why is she having dialogue with the uncle?
almost like she was saying to the uncle, i sorted it up to this point... don't make it any more difficult.

It looks to me that dolus eventualis was ruled out on the most shaky of premises because it would have involved jail time. So, in reality, the verdict came first and the explanation second, even though it was presented to us as a reasoned outcome.

Imo Masipa didn't have the bottle to do the right thing and convict him of dolus eventualis, she just wasn't strong enough, here's hoping that if she let's him go free she doesn't end up with blood on her hand's.

Hi Viper, I am not sure you are. The impression I was given was that if the verdict was guilty (of what was not mentioned) he would be straight off to jail but it matters not. I have many instances of bail being given to murderers but as a few people seemed to get upset and occasionally rather rude by me mentioning this I decided not to upload any more.

Nel has ensured he will get jail. Thank goodness for that at least. I am hoping that an appeal will determine it was murder but I still don't think OP can be resentenced. I think this was discussed earlier. The officers of the court have to accept they made a mistake and learn from it. Again, I am more than happy to be proved wrong because I think this guy deserves 15 years minimum.

I'm with you IB, we tried to show SA and its laws as it is, not how we want it to be. No harm done. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli