Trial Discussion Thread #53 - 14.12.9, Day 42 ~ final verdict~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense, but I missed your (numerous?) links that documented that convicted murderers most always get bail pending the disposition of their appeal(s). I, and more than a few others, researched the subject and could not find the materials that you apparently found.

Now, back to the present situation, it would be good I feel for the NPA to not wait and to go ahead and start their appeals of Masipa's faulty verdicts.

No not numerous and no, not all murderers get bail, far from it. It really depends on the judge. Some are slammed up immediately but it seems some with money manage to avoid it. I only posted three or four but as I have just posted I have more but did not post them as it seemed to provoke bad temper in one poster. I have no intention of doing that again.

I agree with you about the NPA. Get on with and let's get the proper sentence for that toad but I still don't think he will serve it. I hope I am wrong.

William Booth now saying that in his opinion Masipa should hand down a lengthy term of imprisonment so as to send out a strong message re shootings of this nature. After what we've seen tonight I just can't see this happening.

at this point i can't see it either.
but a month is a long time for the media - and her peers - to dissect her decisions. and a long time for her to reflect on the available options...

so many unusual, surprising, bewildering twists here, maybe the sentencing will be another twist.

Here is what I fear:

OP is only found guilty of CH.

OP remains free on bail during his appeal.

Even if the verdict stands, OP gets special consideration due to his disability (and his celebrity status, and his family pulling strings, etc).

As a result, OP skates on prison time.

Instead, OP will "solemnly & dutifully" preform many hours of wimpy celebrity service to the community.

And he will weep (when cameras are on him) for the memory of Reeva, and that awful mistake he made.

Projectile vomiting (me)

Again, here's my quote from an earlier thread. My fears have come true so far. Although now I think OP will not appeal the verdict because he won't be sentenced to prison in the first place!

William Booth now saying that in his opinion Masipa should hand down a lengthy term of imprisonment so as to send out a strong message re shootings of this nature. After what we've seen tonight I just can't see this happening.

I'll be shocked if he gets any jail time at all.

Honestly, enough with your BS! I remember that you posted 2-3 cases, but each was EXCEPTIONAL, each had something to do with the defendant actually being found innocent based on (IIRC) new evidence, witnesses admitting that they lied, or police misconduct. In OPs appeal there will be an extention cord and the issue of a televised trial. You were wrong, move on already.

Jewell Crossberg shot his employee dead because he says he mistook them for a baboon. He was guilty. Please calm down.

Me neither ..

.. and can I just ask why it takes a whole month for her to deliver the sentence? I know that a couple of weeks is standard, over here in the UK but then that is because we have juries and the jury has to deliver it's verdict, and then the judge has to have time to work out the correct sentence but surely in the case of the way SA courts work, the judge already knew what verdict she was going to give, so why does it now take her a whole extra month to give her sentencing, and why isn't she able to deliver that at the same time as she delivered her verdict .. it makes no sense to me?

Barry Bateman
@barrybateman
#OscarTrial Arnold: on behalf of the family we would like to show how grateful we are for finding Oscar not guilty of murder. BB

Karyn Maughan
@karynmaughan
Arnold Pistorius says family never doubted Oscar's account of shooting - calls Masipa decision a "big" ruling @eNCAnews

There's no victors in this," Arnold Pistorius says

Arnold Pistorius:
"It won't bring Reeva back, but our hearts still go out to her family and friends"

Arnold Pistorius says the family won't be taking questions and won't be making any further statements

http://cnnworldlive.cnn.com/Event/Oscar_Pistorius_trial_4

Family press conference from inside the courtroom? Does this family have no morals, how inappropriate & insulting to the familyof Reeva, this court has gone out of it's way to protect Oscar.

at this point i can't see it either.
but a month is a long time for the media - and her peers - to dissect her decisions. and a long time for her to reflect on the available options...

so many unusual, surprising, bewildering twists here, maybe the sentencing will be another twist.

Given her previous media ban I think she'll be surprised by his fall from grace in public opinion and by the fall out from her decisions. If she's only seen balloon-toting Pistorians she's likely to have had a skewed view on how the rest of SA now perceive Oscar.

I'm with you IB, we tried to show SA and its laws as it is, not how we want it to be. No harm done. :)

Thank you PS. My only intention was to show just that, mainly because it concerned me there were a few ostriches on board. SA will get it right in time but they need bigger and better run prisons.

Barry Bateman
@barrybateman
#OscarTrial Arnold: on behalf of the family we would like to show how grateful we are for finding Oscar not guilty of murder. BB

Karyn Maughan
@karynmaughan
Arnold Pistorius says family never doubted Oscar's account of shooting - calls Masipa decision a "big" ruling @eNCAnews

There's no victors in this," Arnold Pistorius says

Arnold Pistorius:
"It won't bring Reeva back, but our hearts still go out to her family and friends"

Arnold Pistorius says the family won't be taking questions and won't be making any further statements

http://cnnworldlive.cnn.com/Event/Oscar_Pistorius_trial_4

It's all words, just words .. what they don't seem to realise is that they will, and are being, judged by their actions.

POWER987 News ‏@POWER987News 3m
#OscarPistorius Arnold: But the matter is still before the court and it will be highly inappropriate to make any further comments.

#OscarPistorius Arnold: But the matter is still before the court and it will be highly inappropriate to make any further comments.

It was highly inappropriate to be standing in the court room making any statement at all when your nephew had just been found guilty of culpable homicide.

Jacques Steenkamp ‏@JacqueSteenkamp 1m
Arnold Pistorius left court. There will be a presser at 13:45 inside court. #OscarPistorius is still inside #sabcnews pic.twitter.com/8kTJUXjrtA
Pretoria

Gotta stop giving this family air time and oxygen.....all self appointed celebrities thrive on it.

the press conference in itself is a comment, and is highly inappropriate before sentencing is completed. the trial is not over, but they are already acting like it is.

supportive family; sorry for the loss of reeva; we always believed his version
could this be the beginning, and part of building up the mitigation...

It was already inappropriate for him to have held a press conference of this nature so soon after court finished it's session this morning. The whole family should've just kept quiet and gone home .. many of us do not want to see or hear of them any more than we have to, vile lot.

Japan
LIveJAPAN2014 ‏@LIveJAPAN2014 2m
BBC Breaking News on Twitter: "Watch moment #OscarPistorius heard #PistoriusTrial verdicts... http://dlvr.it/6tfK7l #newsJP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChiChi8773