Trial Discussion Thread #53 - 14.12.9, Day 42 ~ final verdict~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oscar should just move in with the judge, maybe he could become her chauffeur and a film can be made about it, Driving Miss Masipa.

From what I have seen so far in the judgement phase JM not only seems inexplicably positive towards OP but really negative against the state to a level which gives me concern that something is causing a less than neutral response to PT arguments.

To completely dismiss all of the PT witnesses, but then quote one of them when it suited (Dr Stipp regarding OP crying) seems perverse in the extreme.

In any case, even if we dismiss the premeditated murder of Reeva, there is no logical reason for ruling that requirements for dolus eventualis were not met.

I note that both DT and PT can put arguments relating to sentencing. If I was Nel, I suppose I would want to continue to do my very best with arguments, but I would be expecting them all to be summarily dismissed in the same manner that everything else to do with the prosecution case has been.

I agree that there was no consideration for Reeva or her friends and family. In addition I found the way in which JM referred to the victim simply as "Steenkamp" negative and almost critical as if she was somehow on trial.

The whole thing leaves a very sour taste.

Good morning everyone!
Can someone kindly please summarize what's happened today so far? I just woke up!
Happy Friday y'all!

Good morning everyone!
Can someone kindly please summarize what's happened today so far? I just woke up!
Happy Friday y'all!

Count 1 Guilty of Culpable Homicide
Count 2 Firing gun through sunroof - Not guilty
Count 3 Tashas - Guilty
Count 4 Possession of 0.38 ammo - Not guilty

Back out on bail, although opposed by Nel

Court reconvenes 13 October for sentence mitigation

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...s-verdict-reeva-steenkamp-defence-implausible

Very interesting article.

"The Oscar Pistorius verdict exposes South Africa's fraught racial history... Reeva Steenkamp is dead, a mythical black intruder invoked and the defence is frankly implausible. Just what does a man have to do to be found guilty of murdering a woman?"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you - it is very interesting. I found the final paragraph particularly well put and deeply depressing:

Pistorius would have us believe that he thought his girlfriend was safely in bed next to him. He would have us believe this mythical black intruder was locked in his bathroom. He would have us believe this mythical black intruder was whom he was killing when he fired through a closed door four times, as if somehow that would be justifiable. Though early this morning I may not understand this world we live in, Oscar Pistorius understands it and what he can get away with, perfectly.

Oscar should just move in with the judge, maybe he could become her chauffeur and a film can be made about it, Driving Miss Masipa.

She will hopefully remember not to make any noise in the toilet.

four shots fired.. four.
Four shots - and two brothers who have both killed someone, and who have both gone unpunished.

What a kick in the teeth for Reeva's family. They must be sickened. Just because OP acted 'promptly' after the 'incident', praying, asking for help etc, he couldn't be found guilty of murder? What? So now I can safely kill my partner as he passes me on the way back to bed (as that's understandable and excusable according to Masipa), or, if I fancy another option, I can choose to gun him down in the toilet, and so long as I act promptly afterwards, and have witnesses see me crying and praying, I can't be found guilty of murder.

OP is home free. A fine won't hurt him, and Masipa won't jail him. He's suffered enough, poor lamb.

She has no plans to sentence him to any jail time. That's why she warned Uncle Arnie to keep him in line---otherwise she might be forced to.

Absolutely no intentions of any jail time and Uncle will keep him right beside him...this is very important to uncle...he has a big reputation and many business dealing in SA and does not want his famous nephew in prison. Uncle was grinning at all of this. Oct. 13 will be no surprise at all...no time at all or waived or whatever they do. I think even Roux has to hold back the grins...it was like Christmas for their team.

It looks to me that dolus eventualis was ruled out on the most shaky of premises because it would have involved jail time. So, in reality, the verdict came first and the explanation second, even though it was presented to us as a reasoned outcome.

I agree. To me there was a clear effort by the judge to defy the law. [modsnip] Can't be that stupid. Or has a crush on oscar.

This was asked last thread but who is the BLONDE sitting with the family for Oscar??? If that is actually his girlfriend this group is even worse than I thought.

Count 1 Guilty of Culpable Homicide
Count 2 Firing gun through sunroof - Not guilty
Count 3 Tashas - Guilty
Count 4 Possession of 0.38 ammo - Not guilty

Back out on bail, although opposed by Nel

Court reconvenes 13 October for sentence mitigation

Thank you so much!

What a bunch of malarky! I can't believe Masipa believed him lock stock and barrel!!

Pretoria Rekord ‏@RekordNewspaper 33s
Media setting up in courtroom where the Pistorius family are expected to speak to the media #OscarPistorius has left the court

Again 100% tackless and the uncle trying to preserve his name.

This may not be relevant or even the case. I wonder if Masipa, on some level, identifies with OP disability as she shares a disability from polio. There are similarities in that they both strove to overcome their physical challenges to achieve "greatness" and what most would consider "success". Perhaps her judicial temperament lies with the person accused and her standard requires that the prosecutor go above and beyond to "prove" to her that no other possibility exists.

I am struggling to comprehend her rationale as I keep seeing the four angled bullet holes in the door in my mind's eye. To me, that showed intent. JMV

why is she having dialogue with the uncle?
almost like she was saying to the uncle, i sorted it up to this point... don't make it any more difficult.

By doing that she confirmed what I have thought...she is very aware of the uncle and his position in SA society and influence on government projects etc. She wants everything to go well so she can permanently release his little nephew to his watch in lieu of prison time. I don't know what the timing will be but as soon as OP can I bet he leaves SA with money he has tucked away.

This is the second trial I've watched from start to finish, the first being the OJ trial. This has done nothing but to reaffirm my thoughts that despite our beliefs of humanity evolving for the better, there are still two sets of rules for society, just like there always have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member