Trial Discussion Thread #56 - 14.15.10, Day 45 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure the media are watching the Twitter accounts. I'm not sure the retweet is a huge deal. Marc Batchelor and Sam Taylor at least have not demonstrated characters so remarkable that it's unreasonable that their presence and contributions to the whole affair rightly rile Oscar's family members. Reeva's family and friends are not the only human beings here, and not the only people with emotions, personal knowledge and valid perspectives.

I'd have thought that such an overt 'Christian' as Carl Pistorius would be a little more respectful of the whole situation. What has Gina Myers or her sister or parents ever done to him that you know of? Don't you think there's been enough coverage of the emotions and valid perspectives of the Pistorian clan? It's just about all we've ever heard about.

I'm sure the media are watching the Twitter accounts. I'm not sure the retweet is a huge deal. Marc Batchelor and Sam Taylor at least have not demonstrated characters so remarkable that it's unreasonable that their presence and contributions to the whole affair rightly rile Oscar's family members.
Reeva's family and friends are not the only human beings here, and not the only people with emotions, personal knowledge and valid perspectives.
BIB - No they're not the only human beings here. But they are the only human beings here who had a loved one shot dead by a member of the OP clan. As such, it wouldn't hurt for them to show a little consideration, for once.

I'd have thought that such an overt 'Christian' as Carl Pistorius would be a little more respectful of the whole situation. What has Gina Myers or her sister or parents ever done to him that you know of? Don't you think there's been enough coverage of the emotions and valid perspectives of the Pistorian clan? It's just about all we've ever heard about.
BIB - eight months worth, and I'm sick to the back teeth of it. OP was nasty to Gina Myers, and now his brother feels the need to insult her. These brothers have zero respect for women.

Masipa rushing Nel once again, saying she has commitments next week, and the week thereafter, and the week thereafter... so what? If sentencing has to carry on after, it will have to carry on. Didn't she say during the trial that she didn't want to rush anything? And now here she is, trying to disguise a sigh while Nel asks for a paltry 20-minute adjournment so that Kim can recover before being lampooned by Roux.

It's very worrying indeed that Masipa is so busy. Just think how much damage she can do in three weeks.

.. funny that one of his tweets further down is from corinthians and it says:

"it does not boast
it is not proud
it is not rude
it is not self-seeking
it is not easily angered
keeps no records of wrongs
does not delight in evil
rejoices with the truth
always protects
always trusts"

So then why do the Pistorius clan not practice what they preach?

Because they are full of it. At least one person replied to him to say he should have some respect. Anyway, he and his brother may tweet tough but I reckon those guys in the courtroom are tough in the real world and since they all seemed to run in the same circles maybe he'll find that out one day. Once he's off his crutches of course.

Carl Pistorius is giving the impression that he is cold, ill-educated, low class and thuggish. By tweeting what he does he's associating his family name with that stuff, and anyone in the family - including Oscar. May he continue, unabated. With every tweet he makes, he is reducing the chances of Oscar Pistorius ever 'getting a deal', ever making money through publicity, book deals or sponsorship. No company in their right mind would want to associate with that name now.

He's burying his brother's prospects anywhere outside South Africa, more effectively than the trial has done. Long may he continue.

(Eta: I think he is making the mistake of thinking the world thinks like a certain, small group of people in South Africa.I think he's wrong.)

Does anyone use twitter? It would be good to re-tweet oh-so-Christian's Carl's tweet to Dadic, Greenaland, Harding, Maugham, Bateman and all the other journos covering this trial. Might even look at doing it myself.

If you mean the tweet about Halloween stuff, it wasn't directly from him. He just added the laugh and re-tweeted it. Which is bad enough, sure.

Would anyone like to guess what Roux is going ask KM? I'm still :thinking:

I'm guessing OP has told him times when Reeva told Kim or other family about how much she was in love with him or something. Even if Kim says "I don't know anything about that," Roux can put it out there for the court to hear.

The reason their lawyer advised them to remain neutral, and how that is connected to the money, is lost on me. Why would would the lawyer do that if it wasn't something that worried OP's side. It doesn't sound like general advice during the proceedings because it's been connected directly to the statements about the money. I'm left wondering if it was something implied in the confidential discussions between the two sides. Since when do the families of victims remain neutral ? How do they manage a victim statement on that basis? (rhetorical questions)

I believe Roux stated after reading the Steenkamps missive about the payments that there had been no conditions whatsoever for these from the defence's side nor for the lump sum that was offered so I really can't believe as an officer of the court Roux would have said this in front of the Judge and Nel if it were a lie and less still in front of the Steenkamp family and their lawyer since he could be reported and easily find himself disbarred for something as serious as that.

The small group of people I mentioned in my previous post, would include AV, the social worker. Notice how she used the word 'thereof' all the time? That is the language of high class lawyers in England (barristers). It's a hangover from Colonial days in South Africa. It not only signifies legal knowledge, it signifies class too, which is inextricably bound together in the English judicial system, at the moment. She used 'Thereof' all the time in her evidence.

The other words barristers use are 'herewith, therefore, thereto, My honourable, etc'.

AV the social worker was not only trying to signal her 'legal knowledge' with her 'thereof' evidence today, she was trying to signal her (and the Pistorian family's?) class. In my opinion.

Stephanie Findlay @SJFindlay 6h 6 hours ago
The state says that they have to wrap up their witnesses & arguments so that Judge Masipa can give her sentence to #Pistorius on Friday
This trial has dragged on for six months, with endless adjournments and delays, and all of a sudden, Masipa’s in a hurry.

Well, we know why she’s in such a hurry, don’t we?

One more strike against her.

What a freakin farce.

Sentencing, of all things, should not be rushed - it should take as long as it takes to do justice.

Why does Vergeer remind me of a petulant, evasive, defiant, know-it-all 14 year old girl?

Her whiny, sing-song, taunting voice tells me all I need to know about this “expert”.

My La-DEE!

Man, devious Skunk Lady is hardcore.

Carl Pistorius is giving the impression that he is cold, ill-educated, low class and thuggish. By tweeting what he does he's associating his family name with that stuff, and anyone in the family - including Oscar. May he continue, unabated. With every tweet he makes, he is reducing the chances of Oscar Pistorius ever 'getting a deal', ever making money through publicity, book deals or sponsorship. No company in their right mind would want to associate with that name now.

He's burying his brother's prospects anywhere outside South Africa, more effectively than the trial has done. Long may he continue.

(Eta: I think he is making the mistake of thinking the world thinks like a certain, small group of people in South Africa.I think he's wrong.)

Thank you for a great post Zwiebel. His tweets used to rile me but you have put them all in perspective. Spot on.

Stephanie Findlay @SJFindlay 6h 6 hours ago
The state says that they have to wrap up their witnesses & arguments so that Judge Masipa can give her sentence to #Pistorius on Friday

This trial has dragged on for six months, with endless adjournments and delays, and all of a sudden, Masipa’s in a hurry.

Well, we know why she’s in such a hurry, don’t we?

One more strike against her.

What a freakin farce.

Sentencing, of all things, should not be rushed - it should take as long as it takes to do justice.

Yeah, but she's not going to sentence him on Friday, is she? She's going to go away and think about it for a few more weeks. Allegedly.

I don't think any of us know what Gina or her parents might have 'done to Oscar'. We know Oscar was upset with her for something. This is all about perspectives. To those that love Oscar and believe in him the presence and role of people like Batchelor and Taylor and even the Myers may seem inflamatory, persecutory and in some cases a little opportunistic. I'm not talking about what is, just what it might feel like to them.

The media covers everything that is relevant (and often much that isn't). If the coverage seems 'lopsided' I think that might be because people can't seem to abide anything that challenges them to have some empathy or at least intellectual understanding for anybody but Reeva's circle. Oscar has been to a certain extent vindicated by a court of law. To that same extent his family has a certain right to feel and express that he has been somewhat persecuted. If one of them sees fit to do that by laughing at a dumb joke on Twitter, he can have at it as far as I'm concerned. I think they're all a bit past caring what the mob thinks.

I don't think any of us know what Gina or her parents might have 'done to Oscar'. We know Oscar was upset with her for something. This is all about perspectives. To those that love Oscar and believe in him the presence and role of people like Batchelor and Taylor and even the Myers may seem inflamatory, persecutory and in some cases a little opportunistic. I'm not talking about what is, just what it might feel like to them.

The media covers everything that is relevant (and often much that isn't). If the coverage seems 'lopsided' I think that might be because people can't seem to abide anything that challenges them to have some empathy or at least intellectual understanding for anybody but Reeva's circle. Oscar has been to a certain extent vindicated by a court of law. To that same extent his family has a certain right to feel and express that he has been somewhat persecuted. If one of them sees fit to do that by laughing at a dumb joke on Twitter, he can have at it as far as I'm concerned.
I think they're all a bit past caring what the mob thinks.
BIB - that's because they are the mob.

BIB - No they're not the only human beings here. But they are the only human beings here who had a loved one shot dead by a member of the OP clan. As such, it wouldn't hurt for them to show a little consideration, for once.

I'm really not sure Carl Pistorius needs to show any consideration to Marc Batchelor et al to regret the loss of Reeva's life. All those people referenced in the Twitter joke have to some degree hurt Oscar Pistorius with their comments or testimony or lack or support or whatever. It's understandable that those among his family that love and support and believe Oscar resent their roles and see them as unjust. Not hard to understand.

Thanks for this. I am totally gobsmacked that this family bang on about God in one breadth and say this stuff in the other. Have looked at the support for oscar f/b pages - incredible all the stuff about God - what weirdos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member