Trial Discussion Thread #56 - 14.15.10, Day 45 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know why Moller et al continue to attend court and sit behind Nel throughout this phase of the trial?

I hope Nel asks Kim Martin if Reeva's mum has ever had a conversation with OP, so Kim can relay to the court the time RS rang her mum terrified at OP's fast driving.

Thanks for that, no it hasn't already been posted ..

.. see, that family just does not know when to stop, do they .. absolutely bluddy reckless, no self control, and someone else is gonna get hurt if something isn't done about them.
What have the Myers ever done to CP?? Doesn't it just go to show you the type of nasty creeps they really are? His brother KILLS a defenceless woman, and CP makes tasteless jokes about the Myers? Uncle Arnold should rein HIM in too, but then who reins in Uncle Arnold? They live according to the law of Pistorius, where killing women is nothing but an 'incident', where tampering with evidence is acceptable, and where making cheap jokes about a killing that one of THEIRS committed is par for the course. If OP doesn't go to jail, he should spend his community service working 12 hours a day in the sewers, where he belongs.

Ironic he calls on his disability now when facing general prison population ...
the disability he claimed to NOT have in order to participate along side the general Olympic population!

An interesting interview with Kimmona Kannigan (SA attorney) on the sentencing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bhxWSP3hsI

She is obviously no Oscar lover :)

Nor me but is KK's point about South Africa's policy of 'zero tolerance to violence against women and children' a relevant factor in this case? Masipa has found OP guilty of CH and, in her view, he didn't know Reeva was in the toilet.

Colour me shocked. This repulsive family (gloves are off after hearing the allegations that Titanium Hulk-Doofus Carl Pistorius perverted the course of justice, covered up as an accomplice to a charge of murder by destroying evidence, while Aimee Pistorius removed evidence of victims belongings) have appeared to lie and cover-up from the moment they gazed over Steenkamp's dead body.

They leak video's, rile up their sad middle aged fan club of Pistorians, try to silence the Steenkamp's with money and then smear the parents in court for taking their money.

I think the relevant Halloween costume could seriously be: Blade-killer, hypocritical Carl Pistorius and sibling Aimee. Gosh they actually scare me with their overweened attitude, lack of respect and strange behaviour.

With a close second Halloween costume for homophobic and biased, skunk haired Annette Vergeer.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Horrible, horrible people.

Nor me but is KK's point about South Africa's policy of 'zero tolerance to violence against women and children' a relevant factor in this case? Masipa has found OP guilty of CH and, in her view, he didn't know Reeva was in the toilet.

I know what you mean. But her opinion is that Masipa’s verdict is based on error in law. I thought her point was: Masipa got the verdict wrong now she can make up for it by harsh sentence. But I get your point.

What have the Myers ever done to CP?? Doesn't it just go to show you the type of nasty creeps they really are? His brother KILLS a defenceless woman, and CP makes tasteless jokes about the Myers? Uncle Arnold should rein HIM in too, but then who reins in Uncle Arnold? They live according to the law of Pistorius, where killing women is nothing but an 'incident', where tampering with evidence is acceptable, and where making cheap jokes about a killing that one of THEIRS committed is par for the course. If OP doesn't go to jail, he should spend his community service working 12 hours a day in the sewers, where he belongs.

My thought too - the mention of Myers must be in response to the "How do you sleep at night?" comment becoming public.

I have lost all respect for these judicial proceedings following the testimony of Vergeer

It is incomprehensible that a NZ High Court judge would allow such a circus in the Courtroom e.g.

* An expert introducing hearsay evidence googled from the internet without the primary source

* An expert who cannot explain/refuses to explain what considerations their opinion is based on

* A witness who harangues counsel

* A witness who introduces as "fact", the contents of a hearsay telephone conversation

These things would earn the wrath of the Judge and it is frankly incredible that Roux brings this kind of unprofessional evidence to Court

"@CharlduPlessc: Kim Martin is probably one of the nicest people I've ever met. So brave of her to take the stand."

Lovely comment about Kim Martin from a South African journalist who spent a lot of time in court.

Return tweet from Kim Martin:
@CharlduPlessc Thanks for the kind words. Just trying to speak for Reeva, and let her voice be finally heard.
4:30pm - 15 Oct 14

Wow. Had to stop watching that last defence witness. Couldn't stand the absurdity of some of her processes. Absolutely terrible. Nel rightly knocked her right out. Even without her poor methods and performance though, I don't think the testimony would have been given much weight. Clearly Pistorius should not be kept out of prison because he has artificial legs. I think there is validity to arguments about his psychological state, but not his legs.

i really hope Nel lists all OP's escalating reckless behaviour in the months before the killing as a reason to give him a jail sentence, and keep him away from the public. If the court's duty is to the public, they it must consider what a loose canon he was, and how much he was allowed to get away with before his behaviour finally resulted in the killing of Reeva, and a lifetime of grief and pain for her family.

Sky News just replayed the clip of Masipa finding him guilty only of culpable homicide, and Aimee immediately burst into tears of relief, but today, when Reeva's cousin was describing the trauma of finding out Reeva had been killed by OP, she didn't shed a tear, nor did any of her family. OP had his head buried in his hands, and although it was reported he'd been crying, I didn't see any evidence of that when he looked up. His eyes looked sore, but he could have been rubbing them (which he does a lot).

I think he will get a custodial sentence. If it were me I would sentence him to whatever it took to have him actually serve about three years. I'll call that a prediction. I actually think a house arrest sentence is not in his own best interests and I'm willing to bet Masipa will think that too. With the public largely gunning for him, and with his personality and impulse control issues it will be harder for him to succeed in reintegrating and rehabilitating with even the small measures of freedom house arrest offers. Better to have the structure of prison and the absence from the public eye for a period of time to give everybody opportunity for healing and perspective. I don't think he'll be a danger to others if he is given house arrest, but I think he'll get in his own way.

Does anyone use twitter? It would be good to re-tweet oh-so-Christian's Carl's tweet to Dadic, Greenaland, Harding, Maugham, Bateman and all the other journos covering this trial. Might even look at doing it myself.

I think he will get a custodial sentence. If it were me I would sentence him to whatever it took to have him actually serve about three years. I'll call that a prediction. I actually think a house arrest sentence is not in his own best interests and I'm willing to bet Masipa will think that too. With the public largely gunning for him, and with his personality and impulse control issues it will be harder for him to succeed in reintegrating and rehabilitating with even the small measures of freedom house arrest offers. Better to have the structure of prison and the absence from the public eye for a period of time to give everybody opportunity for healing and perspective. I don't think he'll be a danger to others if he is given house arrest, but I think he'll get in his own way.

good to see you back. still think he's innocent?

Does anyone use twitter? It would be good to re-tweet oh-so-Christian's Carl's tweet to Dadic, Greenaland, Harding, Maugham, Bateman and all the other journos covering this trial. Might even look at doing it myself.

I'm sure the media are watching the Twitter accounts. I'm not sure the retweet is a huge deal. Marc Batchelor and Sam Taylor at least have not demonstrated characters so remarkable that it's unreasonable that their presence and contributions to the whole affair rightly rile Oscar's family members. Reeva's family and friends are not the only human beings here, and not the only people with emotions, personal knowledge and valid perspectives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper