Trial Discussion Thread #56 - 14.15.10, Day 45 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Strange tweet from Tyrone Maseko (SA attorney):

I have a sneaky feeling about Nel's request for an indulgence. There's clearly something he wants her 2 say but she won't & Roux is on to it

https://twitter.com/tyronemaseko/status/522372033691541505

random thought here but what if the whole point of early adjournment today was to leave the court room and the audience with the poignant ''close'' of her cousin's heartfelt testimony lingering overnight? A very effective dramatic end to the testimony and proceedings today may have more effect that way.

If he had a shred of human decency, he wouldn't ask her a single, solitary question!

How dare he think it's even remotely appropriate to cross-examine a bereaved family member! What could he possibly ask her????

Oh - and he feigned such sympathy! Gaaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!

Roux do the decent thing, I don't think so. Remember it was Roux that led the testimony about how severe OP's vulnerably was on his stumps. Leading the court to believe he couldn't balance let alone run or move quickly on his stumps, all the while knowing it was totally untrue as his DT had seen "The video".

random thought here but what if the whole point of early adjournment today was to leave the court room and the audience with the poignant ''close'' of her cousin's heartfelt testimony lingering overnight? A very effective dramatic end to the testimony and proceedings today may have more effect that way.

Very good point, clearly Masipa is an idiot, Nel most likely is now playing the broader game, public opinion.

Having a full day for the media to have their heyday over this, very good tactic.

Alex Crawford just saying that Kim gave a harrowing and heartbreaking account of the impact Reeva's death has had on all of them, particularly Reeva's parents. She said it was the first time that anyone has heard of how the Steenkamps have been suffering, with most of them on medication and in counselling. She also said that Sam Taylor and her mother were both seen crying during Kim's testimony.

Yes. For eight months now, all we've heard about is how this has affected OP with all that he's 'lost' and all that he's 'suffered' :violin: - finally, we get to hear first hand how the actual victim's family have been impacted, and Masipa can barely disguise her boredom as she tries to hurry things along. Shocking and insensitive.

My thought as well hoping to put public pressure on jm.

Dershowitz, who has helped score victories in some of recent history’s most notorious trials believes the case is far from over. The attorney believes an appeal is certain because the judge’s decision was “legally incoherent.” Then there’s South Africa’s legal culture — something Dershowitz knows and cares about. 20 years after the end of apartheid, the country is dealing with a serious crime issue and a politicized judiciary.

I think Judge Masipa is going to give him a lenient sentence in order to avoid being reversed by the appellate court. The harsher the sentence she gives him, the more likely it will be reversed. She’s doing a political calculation, as well; she doesn’t want to be reversed. I think it will be somewhere between probation and a relatively short term. I don’t think he’s going 10 or 15 years.

http://www.ozy.com/#!/pov/dershowitz-pistorius-will-get-off-easy/36523.article

BIB Why would it be reversed if she give me a light sentence? I thought I read that in a Court of Appeal, Nel could argue for murder as well as a harsher sentence.

BBM - you're right .. I still keep calling him 'the accused'! .. 'the convicted' doesn't sound quite right though!

I'm more than happy to call him the killer Oscar Pistorius because that's one name that will never change.

I think the judge will be hard pushed to get the sentence out before close of business Friday. Nel will need at least one more full day for 2-3 witnesses plus cross, then both sides have to write and present Heads of Arguments. Then she has to have time consider and deliver sentence.

Maybe a Saturday sitting?

I had/have trouble with WS the whole day. I had to refresh nonstop. Remembered me of old times.

Dershowitz, who has helped score victories in some of recent history’s most notorious trials believes the case is far from over. The attorney believes an appeal is certain because the judge’s decision was “legally incoherent.” Then there’s South Africa’s legal culture — something Dershowitz knows and cares about. 20 years after the end of apartheid, the country is dealing with a serious crime issue and a politicized judiciary.

I think Judge Masipa is going to give him a lenient sentence in order to avoid being reversed by the appellate court. The harsher the sentence she gives him, the more likely it will be reversed. She’s doing a political calculation, as well; she doesn’t want to be reversed. I think it will be somewhere between probation and a relatively short term. I don’t think he’s going 10 or 15 years.

http://www.ozy.com/#!/pov/dershowitz-pistorius-will-get-off-easy/36523.article

BIB Why would it be reversed if she give me a light sentence? I thought I read that in a Court of Appeal, Nel could argue for murder as well as a harsher sentence.

"My own view was that [Judge Masipa] wasn’t sure whether he did or didn’t know, and so she split the difference. But when you have reasonable doubt — if you’re not sure — you must acquit. If there’s reasonable doubt about guilt, if there’s reasonable doubt about what he knew, he must be acquitted."

Read more: www.ozy.com

when I read the article it was disturbing to realize that there was some wiggle room sad to say

andrew harding @BBCAndrewH

Court adjourns. #OscarPistorius meanwhile has slumped forward too and is being comforted by his brother.
1 Hour ago

"@CharlduPlessc: Kim Martin is probably one of the nicest people I've ever met. So brave of her to take the stand."

Lovely comment about Kim Martin from a South African journalist who spent a lot of time in court.

The Oscarpistorians are so offensive.........An Oscar fan has tweeted "this Martin woman's testimony is so boring"

andrew harding @BBCAndrewH

Court adjourns. #OscarPistorius meanwhile has slumped forward too and is being comforted by his brother.
1 Hour ago

Ah yes, better show some grief and remorse at this point.

"My own view was that [Judge Masipa] wasn’t sure whether he did or didn’t know, and so she split the difference. But when you have reasonable doubt — if you’re not sure — you must acquit. If there’s reasonable doubt about guilt, if there’s reasonable doubt about what he knew, he must be acquitted."

Read more: www.ozy.com

when I read the article it was disturbing to realize that there was some wiggle room sad to say

Even so, it doesn't explain the outrageous bias that she has shown, and continues to show in various ways, and the way she just binned every piece of State evidence without explanation.

Alex Crawford just saying that Kim gave a harrowing and heartbreaking account of the impact Reeva's death has had on all of them, particularly Reeva's parents. She said it was the first time that anyone has heard of how the Steenkamps have been suffering, with most of them on medication and in counselling. She also said that Sam Taylor and her mother were both seen crying during Kim's testimony.

Yes. For eight months now, all we've heard about is how this has affected OP with all that he's 'lost' and all that he's 'suffered' :violin: - finally, we get to hear first hand how the actual victim's family have been impacted, and Masipa can barely disguise her boredom as she tries to hurry things along. Shocking and insensitive.

This is the most upside-down trial I've ever watched.

If not for Nel's dogged determination, Reeva's name would have never been mentioned at all!

If I hadn't followed this case from the beginning and was relying solely upon Masipa's incompetent verdict and the DT's corrupt mitigation witnesses to provide perspective, I'd be asking "Reeva? Who's Reeva? Oh - you mean that fickle bimbo and her money-grubbing parents who took advantage of Saint OP's generosity?"

Then - when the facts about the loving soul Reeva truly was and the facts about her beautiful parents finally begin to get some air time, WHAM - the Court is out of time!

This is NOT justice. This is a travesty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8