Trial Discussion Thread #56 - 14.15.10, Day 45 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nel shouldn't have left it at "I'm entitled to my opinion". She's a professional who should have backed up those opinions with facts.

Judge now asking AV about where she mentioned 'his version'in the report. Wants to know who told her that, was it OP? It was. Police cell was big shock to him.

Now Roux up, going on about statement Pistorius family made re payments. He wants to read it out, judge wants copies before he does.

Steenkamps about to get devastated?

Looks like the Steenkamp's lawyer got the press to give him back the statements he'd handed out to them to give to the court as copies.

I bet Roux says OP denied he asked the payments to be made private. As it wasn't entered into the record, there's no way of proving it, but I know who I'd believe!

Don't you normally watch on Foxtel 448 (APAC)?

No. I use a PC so I sit at a desk. I only watch APAC if I can't get a feed, or if it's utterly boring. Last night I had to shut the PC down because of severe thunderstorms so I watched it in bed.

'Certain disclosures have made it necessary to make statement...have advised Steenkamps they shld remain neutral....payment took place March to sept..

We thought it only fair this should be kept confidential...surprised when it was revealed in court...always on understanding it wld be deducted from any amount in civil claim...OP doesn't want money back now the civil claim off...

'Certain disclosures have made it necessary to make statement...have advised Steenkamps they shld remain neutral....payment took place March to sept..

We thought it only fair this should be kept confidential...surprised when it was revealed in court...always on understanding it wld be deducted from any amount in civil claim...OP doesn't want money back now the civil claim off...

Oscar Trial Channel @OscarTrial199 · 1 Min. Vor 1 Minute

Roux points out the money was paid over unconditionally and Pistorius doesn't want it back - but it's for parents to decide #oscartrial
0 Antworten

Sorry, I lost WS then.

Roux says OP offered a settlement, Steenkamps refused. OP lawyers asked for their account number to put money in anyhow, in case they changed their mind. It was given. But then Steenkamps contacted lawyers and said definitely did not want his money.

Oh my good, Pistorius wanted the "parents not to influence the sentencing in any way". This is bribery and disgusting on a grieving and bereaved poor couple.

Roux doesn't really change any of their statement except to say his client is a worm. True story! ;)

I can't believe Uncle Arnold hugged Barry Steenkamp. Pistorius clan is probably about to stab Steenkamp and the victims friends in the back in press releases and manipulative press tactics.

Lunch break now. Return in 1 1/2 hours. Nel needs to consult with witness. 3 or 4 witnesses at most and they won't be long.

Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 20 Sek. Vor 21 Sekunden

#OscarTrial court adjourns until 1330. BB
0 Antworten

Just when we thought the debacle of the trial was over, we are now in the debarcle of sentencing. I presume precedents about sentencing for culpable homicide convictions would play a big part in judges determining an appropriate sentence. I also think his disability cannot save him from a prison term, particularly as the prosecution will no doubt have someone from the corrections system to give evidence his disabilities can be accommodated.
All this stuff about how going to prison will break him is just crazy talk, otherwise no one would be sent to prison because they are not nice places. He is a convicted criminal.
Mind you I am open to expect anything from this Judge.

Oh my good, Pistorius wanted the "parents not to influence the sentencing in any way". This is bribery and disgusting on a grieving and tragic.

Roux doesn't really change any of their statement except to say his client is a worm. True story!

I can't believe Uncle Arnold hugged Barry Steenkamp. Pistorius clan is probably about to stab Steenkamp and the victims friends in the back in press releases and manipulative press tactics.

hmmmmm if they were witnesses we know what that would be called...........

On lunch now till 1.30. Nel wanted long break.

Before we left, Nel said he had four witnesses. Judge said, 'Four!' sounding surprised and disapproving. So Nel amended it to three, then judge said she wasn't trying to influence him, and Nel amended that to 'three or four, but they won't be long Milady'.

I am not sure judge is right to make Nel feel he has to rush, really. This is too important.

Re money paid to Steenkamps, and the lump sum offered. Roux rapidly brushed over "the Steenkamps to remain neutral", otherwise no change from yesterdays explanation.

I think Nel is going on far too long with this. They're going over the same things, over and over, round and round in circles .. it all just sounds very messy now. He should've been a lot clearer, and kept it a lot tighter. I'm really quite cross with him.

The ridiculous thing is that, although to us the points he has made/scored are obvious we're all genuinely concerned about the ability of the Judge to comprehend them. It's a surreal twist on the usual (to us) courtroom situation where points are very succinctly made and then clarified and restated to as to assist the members of the jury who may have below average intelligence.

Nel's carrying on as he is used to presumably. I wonder it that's because this is just how he thinks on his feet with an awkward witness or perhaps because he realises this phase is pointless and he's doing it for the record and for the appeal process?

wait wait.

Roux actually said the money was done so Steenkamps would remain nuetral?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member