Trial Discussion Thread #57 - 14.16.10, Day 46 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty certain that in the UK we also have a gang/hierarchy system between prisoners .. it has no bearing on whether someone else who has committed a crime is sent to prison or not.
Exactly. Prison is for people who have committed crimes. OP killed a person. I doubt he'll be subjected to more intimidation in prison than he himself has subjected others to over the years.

Barry Bateman @barrybateman · 15 Sek. Vor 16 Sekunden

#OscarTrial Modise: there are no better facilities in Africa, than SA. We compare favourably to the UK and US. BB

Exactly. I think the commissioner is painting an overly rosy picture of the SA prison system

I agree - every country has issues with their prison systems - but I think the main point to be made is that Pistorius can be housed appropriately and safely and if that is the case then there's no reason for him to not spend some time incarcerated as a punishment for his incredibly reckless and ultimately fatal actions. If that requires some degree of preferential treatment for him then that's fine by me. Not ideal as all should be treated the same but there's always a trade off.

N: The C-Max in Pretoria is going to be state of the art facility?

M says it is undergoing complete renovation to bring it up to those standards.

Exactly. I think the commissioner is painting an overly rosy picture of the SA prison system

.. not at all, it just sounds to me as though he is telling it how it is as opposed to all the scare stories we keep on hearing about. At the end of the day, it's probably no better or worse than the UK or the USA and it's actually quite interesting to hear from someone who knows what he is talking about, and that prisons in SA do not seem to be anywhere near as bad as has previously been painted.

Henzen du-Toit isn't even holding her pen. She's not interested in anything he has to say, so why bother.

N: There was a witness yesterday said she knows for a FACT there are no rails in SA showers?

M: That is not correct.

And Nel mentions photos of rails in showers that were taken yesterday.

M: We can confirm that we provide accom for all disabled inmates, to ensure we cater for their needs.

They deal with 128 disabled inmates on a daily basis.

Remember that this guy is just doing his job .. he isn't being paid privately for saying these things .. he therefore has no bias. He has no need to 'paint a rosy picture' because it would be neither here nor there to him to do so.

.. not at all, it just sounds to me as though he is telling it how it is as opposed to all the scare stories we keep on hearing about. At the end of the day, it's probably no better or worse than the UK or the USA and it's actually quite interesting to hear from someone who knows what he is talking about, and that prisons in SA do not seem to be anywhere near as bad as has previously been painted.

I think he's talking about how OP could be "catered" for, not the "run-of-the-mill" black population. OP is special and has special needs, doncha know.

You think that based on your own personal experience of prisons in SA?

He's a professional man speaking publicly - hardly likely to stand up there and lie.

No prison in the world is "rosy". But the issue is whether the one that the killer might go to is so appalling it would be inhumane to send him there.

N: Wld the facility be able to cater for inmate like mr P?

Witness assures court they could. Afraid I cannot make out the name of the specific facility though.

I agree - every country has issues with their prison systems - but I think the main point to be made is that Pistorius can be housed appropriately and safely and if that is the case then there's no reason for him to not spend some time incarcerated as a punishment for his incredibly reckless and ultimately fatal actions. If that requires some degree of preferential treatment for him then that's fine by me. Not ideal as all should be treated the same but there's always a trade off.

I agree.

I am pleased to hear that Oscar will be treated humanely in prison.

M: These are the programs:
Anger mngmnt
Life mngmnt
Skills
Job opps (Fields where prisoners till the land)steel workshops, cooking,
Cleaning
Gardening
11 programs in total

Also have a sports recreations prog
Artwork
Athletics, soccer, boxing

They probably have community sing-alongs too!! I'm sure OP can't wait - not that he should be entitled to a choice anyway!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbmeadows98