Trial Discussion Thread #59 - 14.21.10, Day 48 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes - but with respect this is much more explicit.

“In the present case, the aim was to shoot the intruder,” Masipa said.

So how do you believe this can be reconciled with the verdict?

I'm just going to say it one last time and then leave it:

-The judgment was clear that he intended to shoot the person.
-If someone intends to shoot a person, and does so and kills them, it does not necessarily constitute murder.

That's all I was saying.

masterful and balanced huh? no minimum sentence , max 5 years? a farce like her verdict. I hope she retires in shame and we never hear from again.
Yes, there's a difference between the verdict and the sentence. Her sentence was dictated by her verdict.

<modsnip>

I'm going to re-open the thread, but tread carefully. TO's will be issued without question. No further warnings.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit this....but I was really hoping that if OP was given a custodial sentence, he might throw one of his juvenile tantrums - throwing notepads, phone, kicking benches, etc. Similar to the tantrum he threw after losing the race he thought he had in the bag.

That would have been the icing on the cake, for ending this trial. Well at least there is some incarceration. We'll have to see how long it actually lasts.

I see what you mean. Me, I didn't hope it but I expected it. I actually think that they gave him some drugs to avoid this. This would also explain his strange look before the sentence was pronounced.

<modsnip>

Personally, I hope judges everywhere are inspired by Judge Marsipa. Her courtroom was dignified and respectful of all parties, and her rulings exquisitely balanced. I'm impressed.

Five years for OP. Long enough for him to be punished and yet also to remake his life. Reeva's parents thought the sentence just. That should be enough to quiet the howls for blood. If not, that speaks to the howlers themselves, not to the question of justice.

I'll not speak to the 'howls for blood' except to state the only blood I've ever howled about has been my own when I'd fall off my bike as a kid. But that aside, can you explain to me your take on the 'exquisite' reasoning behind the judge's not guilty on possession of ammunition without a licence? Most legal analysts cannot work it out and nor can I. Thank you in advance.

OP is tired and tense. Has been visited by a psychologist and chaplain (Radio 702).

Well...once again I narrowly escaped the drama. ;) I just wanted to pop in and express my appreciation for all the logical, rational, well-reasoned arguments, timelines, and experiences shared by other posters. This trial has been a roller coaster and I'd have gone insane without the lot of you to share the ups and downs.

That's it. Just a huge thanks. You guys are awesome. :grouphug:

And there's also one more person for the Pistoriuses to blame...the attorney Roux met who suggested he read the book on Ubuntu and use it as mitigation.

His time will pass quickly. I really don't know if justice was served, but my sense says not, when he could be out of prison in 10 months time. If he were spending a full 5 years incarcerated then I would feel differently.

I guess one can argue there can't be real justice because the dead cannot be raised and anything less is not equal to what was taken away (Reeva's life), but 10 months incarceration does seem rather flimsy.

I don't know ...can puking, howling, wailing Oz last even 10 months in prison?

He thinks he's a tough guy but he's just a coward at heart with a huge sense of entitlement.

They'll break him of his delusions.

Out of his gilded cage, perhaps for the first time in his life he'll experience how the real world operates.

His family and a couple friends may put up with his ####, but the rest of SA will not.

One thing's for sure: OP will not come out of prison the same as when he went in.

fom Guardian:

The 27-year-old South African will be 33 by the time of the Tokyo Olympics and Paralympics in 2020 but it is debatable whether he will be in any shape to compete by then. There will also be a question mark over whether he will be able to travel freely to some countries having been convicted of culpable homicide.

RSFS

BBM - Anyone here knows which countries' borders are closed for people having been convicted of CH?

Let our thoughts and prayers go to Reeva's parents today. I hope they can find some peace.

On a side note - I didn't realize that June was English until yesterday.

BIB yes, "she's from Burnley, Lancashire love" which will probably mean more to UK posters, but she seems like a survivor. Anyway, I agree, thoughts with them totally. It's all too horrifying, the fall -out from this, for them all. But as she's a Burnley lass* I hope she can find some peace and distraction in setting up her Womens Refuge Centres over there in SA. Not sure how Barry and Kim and the other half siblings will cope though.

It'll be interesting to find out - if they ever speak publicly about it again- how they feel about his 10 months after the dust has settled.

* Tongue in cheek - not saying all Burnley women are cut from same cloth.

And there's also one more person for the Pistoriuses to blame...the attorney Roux met who suggested he read the book on Ubuntu and use it as mitigation.

I think he just scanned the back cover in the bookshop:facepalm: William.

I think this sentence will prove to be very important if there's an appeal.

He intended to shoot the intruder.
But he didn't intend to kill the intruder...because he thought Reeva was in bed?

Nope. Makes no sense no matter how you look at it.

Agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members