Trial Discussion Thread #59 - 14.21.10, Day 48 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the reporter did mention the convicted killer might be out in less than a year, and June replied that it didn't matter, that at least he would pay (something like that). It seemed like everyone knew the sentence before it was announced, so June and Barry were probably aware of this 10-month farce. I think at this point, they'll just be grateful that the scum who killed their daughter is safely behind bars and not out partying and living life as if Reeva (the love of his life...) never existed.

Yes, I've just seen the full footage of them walking out of court and speaking to journalists now .. I'd only seen a brief clip of it previously (not that it was that long anyway, but there was an extra bit which I hadn't previously seen until watching the Sky round-up just now).

Does anyone think op will be a calm and cooperative prisoner?

He'll be a model prisoner, I'm pretty sure of it. With his disability, he's not really in a position to cause trouble, especially because there is no support (family/friends) for him inside prison.

BIB

Who says that her verdict is wrong? She is after all, the judge, the person who is given the final authority to make a decision in a case, the person whose decision is then respected and abided to. I know that there have been lots of lawyers that have said that her decision is wrong, but there are also many that have backed her on her verdict.

Unlike a jury trial, this is a case decided by just a judge with her two assessors.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the NPA appeals this verdict for clarity but this is the ruling of the court for now.

BBM .. lot's of people, including legal experts.

I've just emailed the NPA my support and encouragement for an appeal based on an error in law.

Can't hurt.

<communication@npa.gov.za>

I hope others take this opportunity to voice their support as well. I've done mine as well.

Re appeal:

Barry Bateman

by the defence? Unlikely. By the state? Likely - not on sentence, but conviction.

BIB

Who says that her verdict is wrong? She is after all, the judge, the person who is given the final authority to make a decision in a case, the person whose decision is then respected and abided to. I know that there have been lots of lawyers that have said that her decision is wrong, but there are also many that have backed her on her verdict.

Unlike a jury trial, this is a case decided by just a judge with her two assessors.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the NPA appeals this verdict for clarity but this is the ruling of the court for now.
Oh, pardon me, I forgot that judges are infallible!

BBM .. lot's of people, including legal experts.

But you missed the other part of my post, there are many that did agree with her verdict. Unfortunately, its not a majority rule. The PT can appeal if they have the appetite for it.

He'll be a model prisoner, I'm pretty sure of it. With his disability, he's not really in a position to cause trouble, especially because there is no support (family/friends) for him inside prison.

IMO..he has a bad temper..he won't be able to control it. After all..I do believe he killed Reeva because he lost it.

Press release by Women's Aid in the UK today: http://www.womensaid.org.uk/domesti...=0001000100150001&sectionTitle=Press+releases

Women's Aid disappointed in Oscar Pistorius sentence

Tue, 21st Oct 14

Polly Neate, Chief Executive of Women&#8217;s Aid said:

&#8220;We are disappointed in the sentence given to Oscar Pistorius today for his shooting of Reeva Steenkamp. Although we are pleased he has received a custodial sentence, the length of the sentence is worryingly short, given the severity of the crime. Violence against women is a very serious issue, and two women a week are killed by a partner or ex-partner in this country alone. Strong sentences are essential to show perpetrators of violence against intimate partners that society and the law take their violence seriously.&#8221;

I know what you mean. While others on here have said over the last few months that JM was not sympathetic towards RS, I didn't really buy that, but today I thought her comments were just that - unsympathetic, rather cold and dismissive - and a stark contrast with what she said about the blubbering, remorseful OP.

Which made me wonder if she is just a little contemptuous of someone who was bright enough to get a law degree but, instead of making a valuable contribution to society as a result of that, chose a frivolous and mindless career in modelling and reality TV.

Even if so, that should have zero to do with the fate of OP.

1st BIB That could be a reason. thanks a lot for sharing yr thoughts !
2nd BIB Couldn't agree more

Here are the exact words from Judge Masipa that settled the fate of Oscar Pistorius:
"Mr Pistorius, please rise.... The following is what I consider to be a sentence that is fair and just both to society and to the accused: Count 1 - culpable homicide, the sentence imposed is a maximum imprisonment of five years, imposed in terms of section 276/1I of the Criminal Procedure Act Number 51 of 1977."

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-africa-29633280

Section 276(1)(i) of the Criminal Procedure Act No.51 (1977)? IMO this is where Masipa showed her hand. She could have sentenced under a different section of that Act ensuring the sentence had to be served in full in prison - but she chose not to. Her reasons? clandestine influences impacting her? interesting in itself. My hope is that the NPA appeal the verdict.

Oh, pardon me, I forgot that judges are infallible!

There are processes available if someone feels the judge made an error in her ruling and that is the PT can appeal. I guess many of us will be on pins and needles for the next 14 days to see if this actually happens. If it doesn't, then that's the end of the case.

This is a newspaper article at the time. It covers much of what went on. Poor old Botha was turned into a jibbering wreck by all accounts, mainly because he had not had time to ascertain the finer details of what he was saying, eg tests had not come back on what he thought was testosterone and he miscalculated the distance from OP's house to the home of someone who heard the screaming.

http://www.iol.co.za/news/crime-courts/oscar-s-team-punches-holes-in-state-s-case-1.1474207

Very helpful. Thank you, IB!

Friend of Pistorius, and ex prisoner :eek: Kenny Kuene, was speaking on Sky news just now about conditions in prison .. I was intrigued to know what he was imprisoned for and found this in wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenny_Kunene " was imprisoned from 1997 to 2003 after being convicted of running a ponzi scheme" "n March 2012 the Hawks (special police investigative unit) spokesman McIntosh Polela confirmed that the Hawks have done an investigation into Kunene regarding fraudulant representations to communities and potential shareholders as part of the application for mining rights by Central Rand Gold (CRG).[4] No charges were, however, ever levelled." .. this lot doesn't half keep some company!

I know what you mean. While others on here have said over the last few months that JM was not sympathetic towards RS, I didn't really buy that, but today I thought her comments were just that - unsympathetic, rather cold and dismissive - and a stark contrast with what she said about the blubbering, remorseful OP.

Which made me wonder if she is just a little contemptuous of someone who was bright enough to get a law degree but, instead of making a valuable contribution to society as a result of that, chose a frivolous and mindless career in modelling and reality TV.

Even if so, that should have zero to do with the fate of OP.

BBM

I think you got it right. Her verdict and sentence indicate that she has no respect for Reeva. On the other hand, her comments regarding Pistorius indicate she has tremendous respect and admiration for him. Sadly!

David Dadic retweeted
Karyn Maughan @karynmaughan · 5m 5 minutes ago
NB: Section that Oscar Pistorius sentenced under means he will serve ten months in jail and the be released on house arrest @eNCAnews

Assuming his sentencing stands, does this mean that OP will be under house arrest until 2019 or can that be reduced after serving a certain period of time under house arrest?

I didn&#8217;t know that if the State appeals then OP can get a bail and be out waiting for the new judgement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member