Trial Discussion Thread #59 - 14.21.10, Day 48 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the defence who are saying he'll only serve 10 months in jail. I cannot see this is reasonably possibly true!

Roux just left court, smiling. OP in holding cells and is being fingerprinted.

1/6th is just awful. The more it sinks in the angrier I am getting, I've gone from relieved he got any sentence to fuming that Reeva's life was only worth a few months in prison.

He will be a model prisoner IMO to ensure he is let out at the earliest opportunity .
After his court appearances he should have no problem getting round a parole board.
Just adding here I feel this is really not long enough .

Sigh. 276(1)(i) does not require a report now at sentencing. It is a special sentence option available to the courts, up to a maximum of 5 years, where the parole board can start correctional supervision in the community after 1/6 of the sentence following a usual assessment. A different legal expert who today in a news report said the sentence must always be 5 years was therefore also wrong.

Only for 276(1)(h) - straight into correctional supervision - is a report required before imposition. The court can order another one if it rejects the reports already placed before it.

Disappointing to yet again see another professional legal commentator spread incorrect basic facts. Thank you for the post though, of course.

Legal analysis on websleuths: link
The Act itself (see 276A): http://www.justice.gov.za/legislation/acts/1977-051.pdf

276(1)(i) must be tempting for Masipa if she is willing for OP to see some months jail time.

So it has turned out to be. 10 months minimum imprisonment for OP.

I got the impression from Nel saying 'That's the end Milady', that there is no chance of a state appeal, Roux seems to have said the same so....

That's it folks. It is what it is.

It seems a very, very short sentence to me but. June has said she is satisfied, so that's good.

No wonder that Roux is not appealing.

10 months likely in a single cell on a hospital ward. Simply not good enough.
Bad day for South Africa.

Karyn Maughan ‏@karynmaughan 43s44 seconds ago
NPA: we have not made up our minds on whether to appeal #OscarTrial verdict

This 'man' took the life of a lovely young lady and he gets FIVE freakin' years???? UGHHHHHH

I know how you feel, I thought he'd walk. Sad I am happy with that. Perhaps the OJ trial is why, and Oscar, coupled with his family, is so much larger...than life. MY LADY has balls, said with respect.

Barry looks a little more relaxed now. Hope he is.

Confirmed by roxanne adams 10 months jail then house arrest

Roux says "If you want to appeal you have 14 days" Said whilst smiling. He's happy with that outcome

It's like Masipa chose the shortest sentence that she was likely to get away with, and then worked backwards from there in terms of her reasoning.

It seems he is only going to spend 10 months in prison and the rest under house arrest according to Statement by Roxanne of the Defence Team on Sky, just. How come Masipa did not state this clearly.

Those reporters need to back off and give the Steenkamps some space. Hound Arnold instead.

Roux was just asked if they'll be appealing. He didn't answer but said if you were going to appeal you had 14 days.

Henke wouldn't answer any questions. Full stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper