TRIAL OF CHAD DAYBELL CHARGED WITH MURDER OF JJ VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN AND TAMMY DAYBELL #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That death still bugs me. He didn’t have a single massive clot event, and if he did it would not have presented with SO much gastrointestinal symptoms (described by Zulemas son). He was found on autopsy to have LOTS of small emboli (clots) in both lungs. Just found this article from tufts. Pulmonary Embolism: Epidemiology, Pathophysiology, and Natural History of Pulmonary Embolism It describes how pulmonary embolisms are very common “on a spectrum” and often not diagnosed, but discovered as incidental findings in autopsy. I don’t know how he died., but he sounded miserable in the bathroom. He had plenty of health risk factors ticking away, also had that trip to Mexico for “prescriptions “ and CD and LVD on the phone ready to give orders , which MOO could include “time to self destruct “.

I do remember distinctly it wasn’t a single large clot that lodged in a specific place in the lung to cause an acute injury to a distinct lobe of one of his lungs. He had too numerous to count small emboli over BOTH lungs, that in moo did not occur as a single event, but likely contributed to reduced pulmonary function/easy shortness of breath.

I think it would be extremely difficult for law enforcement or ME to say “murder” or “suicide” without compelling Evidence of the “how”
My MIL died suddenly from pulmonary embolism and, like AC, was discovered in her bathroom when already dead.

It was hugely messy and included all the same gastrointestinal "events", along with blood absolutely everywhere. Complete loss of continence is fairly common where lung issues are concerned - when the body is fighting for oxygen, it loses the muscle control required for such niceties.

Incontinence is a seldom mentioned but very common experience for people with COPD for example.

JMO

Is Idaho " Northwest"? Not really, it is considered more "Intermountain west", both in geography and culture. It changes the further west you go in Idaho.
I was responding to Sassyblue, who didn’t mention Idaho, just “the Northwest,” so I was thinking more generally. This sure is a “slow news day” convo! Interesting, but I probably should wrap it up. Thanks for the info, Mickey. This whole case has been a cultural eye-opener for me. Now I can add geography to my list of enlightenments.:)

CourtTV's latest recap of the biggest moments of this case included Lindsey Blake's cross of Emma. It dawned on me that Blake was perhaps trying to trip her up with her questions. Emma replied affirmatively to being told about death percentages as well as people being close to death. She also said that her mother was one of those people (with her spirit being separated from her body), but denied being told about zombies. IMO receipts might exist showing that the latter was a lie. Blake would not ask a question she didn't know the answer to.

The second interesting moment from that recap was the police bodycam footage of Lori upon the welfare check. Not only did Chad claim earlier that he didn't know her well and didn't have her phone number, she pretended as well that he was just Alex's friend. She also says in the recording "I don't tell people what we are doing because of those reasons (her other brother trying to kill her)....I know I look like a suspect, but I'm a good person." Lori tells on herself when she talks too much, just like in the June 8 jail call.

But if you're in the UK, or if you're my husband who is English but has lived here in US for 30 yrs, and you drop a piece of food on the floor, you probably won't eat it because it might be on the ground! (He calls the outside ground the floor!)
Yeah, I think that might be a quirk of your husband, or a super specific regional thing. My partner and her family, and my grandparents on both sides, were all English and they called the ground the ground, and the floor inside the floor.

MOO

I watched Nate’s Courtroom Insider tonight and he mentioned some viewers had sent him a phone interview that EDM had done with CourtTV where she talked about not having seen the autopsy report yet. I didn’t remember seeing that so I did a little digging and found it and am pasting the link below if any of you missed it too.

It was on 2/11/2021. Fremont County had issued a press release about a week earlier I think and said they had received the autopsy report. Court TV’s Chanley Painter reached out to EDM who told her she could record their call. (Note this was a few months before the 48-hour episode with the Daybell siblings.

Don’t stop listening when EDM’s call is finished…listen to what the Sheriff’s department had to say to Chanley Painter about the things EDM said to court tv too.

PS I still don’t understand why it took from Dec 2019 to Feb 2021 to get the autopsy results. Is that a typical time frame? If so, we need to do better for the families of murder victims. My brother’s autopsy was done by our state crime lab (because it was suicide in a county jail) but it was back in less than 90 days so 14 months seems like a very long time to me. Is it?

I watched Nate’s Courtroom Insider tonight and he mentioned some viewers had sent him a phone interview that EDM had done with CourtTV where she talked about not having seen the autopsy report yet. I didn’t remember seeing that so I did a little digging and found it and am pasting the link below if any of you missed it too.

It was on 2/11/2021. Fremont County had issued a press release about a week earlier I think and said they had received the autopsy report. Court TV’s Chanley Painter reached out to EDM who told her she could record their call. (Note this was a few months before the 48-hour episode with the Daybell siblings.

Don’t stop listening when EDM’s call is finished…listen to what the Sheriff’s department had to say to Chanley Painter about the things EDM said to court tv too.

PS I still don’t understand why it took from Dec 2019 to Feb 2021 to get the autopsy results. Is that a typical time frame? If so, we need to do better for the families of murder victims. My brother’s autopsy was done by our state crime lab (because it was suicide in a county jail) but it was back in less than 90 days so 14 months seems like a very long time to me. Is it?
I think you mean 2019 that Tammy's body was exhumed, Yes, it took over a year for the autopsy and I have no idea why. Release of it was also delayed because of the criminal investigation.

I think you mean 2019 that Tammy's body was exhumed, Yes, it took over a year for the autopsy and I have no idea why. Release of it was also delayed because of the criminal investigation.
I think I’d already fixed that 2019 date before your comment but it’s good now :) But I’m not talking about when autopsy was released to public - the Feb 3rd date was the date Fremont County said they the results. I don’t recall them releasing it until the LVD trial in 2023, did they? I think the only thing we knew prior to that trial was that the Daybell siblings revealed in their 48 Hrs interview in summer of 2021 that they were told TD died from asphyxiation, wasn’t it? I’m not surprised in when it was released. I’m surprised that the state crime lab didn’t get it back to the county before Feb 2021. But…there was also something about the case having been turned over to the AG’s office and then requested back to Fremont County so I suppose it is possible that the AG’s office got it before Feb 2021 and just never did a press release saying they had it and what was announced on 2/3/21 could have come from the case coming back to Frémont County since they probably would not have been given the autopsy results if the case had remained with the AG’s office. The way they worded it made it seem like the crime lab had taken 14 months but that may not be accurate if they were just saying they got in Feb 2021 as opposed to the results were back months earlier but not in the hands of Fremont County.

I think I’d already fixed that 2019 date before your comment but it’s good now :) But I’m not talking about when autopsy was released to public - the Feb 3rd date was the date Fremont County said they the results. I don’t recall them releasing it until the LVD trial in 2023, did they? I think the only thing we knew prior to that trial was that the Daybell siblings revealed in their 48 Hrs interview in summer of 2021 that they were told TD died from asphyxiation, wasn’t it? I’m not surprised in when it was released. I’m surprised that the state crime lab didn’t get it back to the county before Feb 2021. But…there was also something about the case having been turned over to the AG’s office and then requested back to Fremont County so I suppose it is possible that the AG’s office got it before Feb 2021 and just never did a press release saying they had it and what was announced on 2/3/21 could have come from the case coming back to Frémont County since they probably would not have been given the autopsy results if the case had remained with the AG’s office. The way they worded it made it seem like the crime lab had taken 14 months but that may not be accurate if they were just saying they got in Feb 2021 as opposed to the results were back months earlier but not in the hands of Fremont County.
The way I perceived it was that it took over a year just to do the autopsy and write a report. Then it was not released. Why so long? I don't know.

Tuesday, May 28th:
*Trial continues (Day 30) (@ 8:30am MT) – ID – Joshua Jaxon (JJ) Vallow (7) & Tylee Ashlyn Ryan (16) (JJ last seen Sept. 23, 2019 & Tylee on Sept. 9, 2019, Rexburg; found June 9, 2020 buried in Daybell’s yard in Salem, ID) & Tamara “Tammy” Michelle Douglas Daybell (49) (died on Oct. 19, 2019 at her residence in Salem, ID; dob 5/4/70). – *Chad Guy Daybell (53/now 55) arrested (6/9/20) & indicted (5/25/21) & charged (5/26/21) & arraigned (6/9/21) with Count 1 (for Tylee): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception (for Daybell, Vallow & Alex Cox) & other co-conspirators. Count 2 (for Tylee): 1st degree murder. Count 3 (for JJ): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception. Count 4 (for JJ): 1st degree murder. Count 5 (for Tammy, 49, died 10/19/19): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder. Count 6 (for Tammy): 1st degree murder. Count 8 & 9: Insurance Fraud (Two counts of insurance fraud related to 2 different life insurance policies he had on Tammy). Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will seek DP. (Judge denied removing DP 3/14/24). Fremont County
Trial began on 4/1/24 with final jury selection & ended on 4/8/24. Jurors: 12 jurors & 6 alternates. [10 men & 8 women]. 5/2/24: Juror dismissed due to illness. Now: 12 jurors & 5 alternates.
Jury will be sequestered during deliberations in the guilt phase thru the penalty phase.
Trial began on 4/10/24. Court hours are 8:30am to 3pm Monday-Friday. Trial is being held in Ada County. State rested their case on 5/16/24. Defense began their case on 5/20/24 & ended on 5/23/24.
Judge Steven W. Boyce presiding. Prosecutors: Fremont County Prosecuting Attorney Lindsey Blake, Madison County Prosecuting Attorney Rob Wood, Special Attorney General Prosecutor Ingrid Batey & Fremont County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Rocky Wixom & defense attorney John Prior.

Court info from 6/10/20 thru 3/29/24 & Jury Selection Days 1-6 (4/1-4/6/24) & thru 4/9/24 & Trial Days 1-28 (4/10-5/22/24) reference post #493 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tylee-ryan-and-tammy-daybell-6.713174/page-25

5/23/24 Thursday, Trial Day 29: Defense witness: Dr. Eric Bartelink [a forensic anthropologist; a professor of anthropology at Chico State University &is the director of the CSU-Chico Human Identification Laboratory].
*Defense rests their case. Daybell will not testify.
*State’s rebuttal witnesses: Lisa Marie Jensen [lives in Sugar City & works at Central Elementary School; she hired Emma Daybell-Murray & worked with Tammy]. Jason MacKay Abegglen [knows Garth at the Haunted Mill attraction & friend]. Fremont County Detective Sgt. Bruce Mattingly [became involved in Tammy’s death in mid-December 2019].
*The state has no further witnesses for today. Court is dismissing early & will not be held tomorrow.
For more info on direct see post #515 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tylee-ryan-and-tammy-daybell-6.713174/page-26
Trial continues on Tuesday, 5/28/24.

The way I perceived it was that it took over a year just to do the autopsy and write a report. Then it was not released. Why so long? I don't know.
The actual physical autopsy was done in a matter of hours. It's mentioned in When The Moon Turns to Blood. She was exhumed early in the day and was reinterred by afternoon. I can't lay my hands on the book right now, because it's in a bookcase behind the chair my mum is sitting in at the moment, but I can check it for more specifics later.

MOO

I am mainly excited to see this case end and get to the jurors. I am hoping by Thursday but Friday at the latest.
If things move along today with rebuttals I think things will be wrapped up by Thursday so that closing arguments can be on Friday.
Last night Nate Eaton said he expects the jury to go into sequestration for both the guilty and punishment phases on Monday. It makes sense that the judge might tell them to go home and pack a bag.

Tuesday, May 28th:
*Trial continues (Day 30) (@ 8:30am MT) – ID – Joshua Jaxon (JJ) Vallow (7) & Tylee Ashlyn Ryan (16) (JJ last seen Sept. 23, 2019 & Tylee on Sept. 9, 2019, Rexburg; found June 9, 2020 buried in Daybell’s yard in Salem, ID) & Tamara “Tammy” Michelle Douglas Daybell (49) (died on Oct. 19, 2019 at her residence in Salem, ID; dob 5/4/70). – *Chad Guy Daybell (53/now 55) arrested (6/9/20) & indicted (5/25/21) & charged (5/26/21) & arraigned (6/9/21) with Count 1 (for Tylee): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception (for Daybell, Vallow & Alex Cox) & other co-conspirators. Count 2 (for Tylee): 1st degree murder. Count 3 (for JJ): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder & grand theft by deception. Count 4 (for JJ): 1st degree murder. Count 5 (for Tammy, 49, died 10/19/19): Conspiracy to commit 1st degree murder. Count 6 (for Tammy): 1st degree murder. Count 8 & 9: Insurance Fraud (Two counts of insurance fraud related to 2 different life insurance policies he had on Tammy). Plead not guilty. No bond. DA will seek DP. (Judge denied removing DP 3/14/24). Fremont County
Trial began on 4/1/24 with final jury selection & ended on 4/8/24. Jurors: 12 jurors & 6 alternates. [10 men & 8 women]. 5/2/24: Juror dismissed due to illness. Now: 12 jurors & 5 alternates.
Jury will be sequestered during deliberations in the guilt phase thru the penalty phase.
Trial began on 4/10/24. Court hours are 8:30am to 3pm Monday-Friday. Trial is being held in Ada County. State rested their case on 5/16/24. Defense began their case on 5/20/24 & ended on 5/23/24.
Judge Steven W. Boyce presiding. Prosecutors: Fremont County Prosecuting Attorney Lindsey Blake, Madison County Prosecuting Attorney Rob Wood, Special Attorney General Prosecutor Ingrid Batey & Fremont County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Rocky Wixom & defense attorney John Prior.

Court info from 6/10/20 thru 3/29/24 & Jury Selection Days 1-6 (4/1-4/6/24) & thru 4/9/24 & Trial Days 1-28 (4/10-5/22/24) reference post #493 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tylee-ryan-and-tammy-daybell-6.713174/page-25

5/23/24 Thursday, Trial Day 29: Defense witness: Dr. Eric Bartelink [a forensic anthropologist; a professor of anthropology at Chico State University &is the director of the CSU-Chico Human Identification Laboratory].
*Defense rests their case. Daybell will not testify.
*State’s rebuttal witnesses: Lisa Marie Jensen [lives in Sugar City & works at Central Elementary School; she hired Emma Daybell-Murray & worked with Tammy]. Jason MacKay Abegglen [knows Garth at the Haunted Mill attraction & friend]. Fremont County Detective Sgt. Bruce Mattingly [became involved in Tammy’s death in mid-December 2019].
*The state has no further witnesses for today. Court is dismissing early & will not be held tomorrow.
For more info on direct see post #515 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...tylee-ryan-and-tammy-daybell-6.713174/page-26
Trial continues on Tuesday, 5/28/24.
Thank you Niner.

If things move along today with rebuttals I think things will be wrapped up by Thursday so that closing arguments can be on Friday.
Last night Nate Eaton said he expects the jury to go into sequestration for both the guilty and punishment phases on Monday. It makes sense that the judge might tell them to go home and pack a bag.
If Nate is right and the jury gets sequestered as they go into deliberations on the guilty phase then I hope for their sakes that closing arguments or jury instruction or something has to take place on Monday instead of the case being turned over to them for deliberations on Friday.

This jury has already given almost 2 months of their lives on this trial and talking heads have suggested the penalty phase could take a week or two. I think starting sequestration on a weekend would be an added burden they don’t deserve.

Rebuttal could wrap up today or continue into tomorrow. We could see closing arguments on Thursday and jury instructions on Friday. I expect a fairly quick verdict considering the various charges of murder, conspiracy to commit murder, grand theft, and fraud so that’s a bit for the jury to work through but even if they come back with a verdict on the same day they are given the case if they go into sequestration at the time they are given the case then their first 2 days of sequestration would be spent just waiting for the penalty phase to start on Monday.

I’d rather see the judge give them a day off in between end of rebuttal and closing arguments or between closing arguments and jury instructions or let them have short days all week or something than I would to see them start sequestration at the end of the week.

Now, if Nate is wrong and the judge wouldn’t have them sequestered until the start of the penalty phase then I hope rebuttal wraps up today, closing arguments tomorrow, jury instructions on Thursday or perhaps Friday morning and we could have a verdict by the end of the day Friday. Then the jury could spend the weekend at home before entering sequestration on Monday when the penalty phase starts.

Either way, I hope that the judge finds a way to avoid sequestration starting before the weekend as I would hate to see the jury have to be sequestered with nothing to do over the weekend. If the penalty phase takes more than a week then they’ll have to be sequestered over a weekend anyway but to start out that way just waiting for the penalty to start sounds a bit cruel to the jury to me.

If I remember correctly, the closing arguments for Lori weren't that long (maybe an hour for the State?) but I think it is a guarantee these will take longer. Prior's will be definitely be longer than Tommy and Archie's, but I don't see either taking longer than half a day (plus the State's counter). Depending on how long rebuttal lasts today, we could in theory be done with both arguments and by the end of the day tomorrow. Not an unrealistic prediction IMO.

Also, a question: Did Lori ever legally change her name to Daybell? Why won't the State call her Mrs. Daybell?

If Nate is right and the jury gets sequestered as they go into deliberations on the guilty phase then I hope for their sakes that closing arguments or jury instruction or something has to take place on Monday instead of the case being turned over to them for deliberations on Friday.

This jury has already given almost 2 months of their lives on this trial and talking heads have suggested the penalty phase could take a week or two. I think starting sequestration on a weekend would be an added burden they don’t deserve.

Rebuttal could wrap up today or continue into tomorrow. We could see closing arguments on Thursday and jury instructions on Friday. I expect a fairly quick verdict considering the various charges of murder, conspiracy to commit murder, grand theft, and fraud so that’s a bit for the jury to work through but even if they come back with a verdict on the same day they are given the case if they go into sequestration at the time they are given the case then their first 2 days of sequestration would be spent just waiting for the penalty phase to start on Monday.

I’d rather see the judge give them a day off in between end of rebuttal and closing arguments or between closing arguments and jury instructions or let them have short days all week or something than I would to see them start sequestration at the end of the week.

Now, if Nate is wrong and the judge wouldn’t have them sequestered until the start of the penalty phase then I hope rebuttal wraps up today, closing arguments tomorrow, jury instructions on Thursday or perhaps Friday morning and we could have a verdict by the end of the day Friday. Then the jury could spend the weekend at home before entering sequestration on Monday when the penalty phase starts.

Either way, I hope that the judge finds a way to avoid sequestration starting before the weekend as I would hate to see the jury have to be sequestered with nothing to do over the weekend. If the penalty phase takes more than a week then they’ll have to be sequestered over a weekend anyway but to start out that way just waiting for the penalty to start sounds a bit cruel to the jury to me.
I agree with all you said. The jury has to be not only tired but disgusted. I think the verdict will be fast. I have heard that juries take awhile to get to know one another and express opinions. I’m sure there are some loud opinions going to be expressed. lol.
Can you imagine their questions and thoughts about Chad and Lori? We have followed this four years and they have a condensed version of all the lies and manipulations and murders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper