GUILTY TRIAL OF CHAD DAYBELL CHARGED WITH MURDER OF JJ VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN AND TAMMY DAYBELL #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adultery is illegal in Idaho under Section 18-6605 of the Idaho Code. Adultery is classified as a misdemeanor offense, and the punishment for committing adultery in Idaho is a fine of up to $1,000 or up to six months in jail or both.

I wonder how many other states continue to have adultery listed as a criminal act? And, I wonder how recently anyone has been prosecuted for adultery?

Samantha: [paraphrasing] I must defend my sister. She was made out by some in this court as she was fat, lazy and dying from an illness. Look at me, I am a middle-aged woman who is now the age Tammy was when she died. I am less healthy than she was. Do I look like someone who is about to die? It is not a crime to be a middle age woman, play video games and eat the occasional fast food meal.
I Loved hearing that !!!

WOW-- she brought it all to the table -- Good for her.

I have been tearful listening to all the statements, Colby's statement was so sad to listen to, but just as strong

They have been all been very strong statements today. !!!

Adultery is illegal in Idaho under Section 18-6605 of the Idaho Code. Adultery is classified as a misdemeanor offense, and the punishment for committing adultery in Idaho is a fine of up to $1,000 or up to six months in jail or both.

What?! I had no idea adultery was still illegal even just in these states. I thought adultery was as such, obsolete...

I think I remember reading somewhere that it was still illegal in 15 or 16 states…and 2 or 3 of them still consider it a felony!
Maybe it's one of those things where removing it from the books would just be more effort/controversy than it's worth. Accusations of being pro-adultery, actively encouraging it.

I tend to believe the loin-fire raged so strongly because they hadn't consummated, but that would be in obediance to church doctrine, not worldly laws.

JMO

Does the jury have to vote on the death penalty for each murder count? I would think so in case one is overturned at some point but then if one of the reasons for the death penalty is multiple murders and one or two was overturned wouldn’t that negate the reason for the death penalty? So maybe they only have to vote on it for the 3 murders together?

I’m not sure I’ve ever followed a death penalty case before and certainly not one in Idaho. Can anyone give me some insight?

Also, if the jury says death for the murders, does the judge still have to sentence CD for the fraud and conspiracy counts?

TIA

The defense is not presenting mitigation factors. My thought is that this is a strategy to appeal the almost certain death sentence. All IMO and I’m not an attorney — but the appeal of the conviction itself is unlikely to be successful. But an appeal of the sentence may be more likely if Prior acts incompetently by not presenting any mitigation factors. Also there aren’t many mitigating factors for Chad that come to mind.

I’m surprised honestly, because Prior has been fighting strongly for his client. Anyone else have a theory?
Hmm. I’m still wondering what Prior got Chad to sign yesterday …..

IMO the amendment to the clerical error was correct. Logically, you cannot correct something that should not be corrected in the first place. In respect to the change in jury instructions, IMO Boyce made the right decision on that too. To amend jury instructions at the end of a trial may have confused the jury.
I didn't say I thought either of those decisions was wrong. I only said they raise potential grounds for appeal. In a death penalty case every little detail is scrutinized. As someone pointed out, it usually takes decades before a death sentence is carried out.

I think if your position is your client didn't do this, wasn't part of any of it, didn't kill his wife, didn't want the children killed, and he believed the children were safe somewhere and not dead.. then why would you argue mitigating factors? Would that be seen as saying okay so now that you think he did it, here is why he shouldn't die? When in fact the postion is he shouldn't die because he didn't do it.

Does the jury have to vote on the death penalty for each murder count? I would think so in case one is overturned at some point but then if one of the reasons for the death penalty is multiple murders and one or two was overturned wouldn’t that negate the reason for the death penalty? So maybe they only have to vote on it for the 3 murders together?

I’m not sure I’ve ever followed a death penalty case before and certainly not one in Idaho. Can anyone give me some insight?

Also, if the jury says death for the murders, does the judge still have to sentence CD for the fraud and conspiracy counts?

TIA
Yes, I think they have to decide, for each murder, whether the aggravating factor applies of being "especially heinous, atrocious or cruel, manifesting exceptional depravity”. However, IMO it only has to be deemed to apply in one of the murders, for the DP to apply to that prisoner.

Last edited:
Wow, he really said this?

1:59 p.m.
Prior says that if Chad suffocated Tammy, it is "not atrocious." He is finished with his closing statement.
Yes. Said he wasn't present for the other murders. Then this one of Tammy, just it was not particularly heinous. Glad he is giving him a defense so it can't be said he didn't get one.

I think if your position is your client didn't do this, wasn't part of any of it, didn't kill his wife, didn't want the children killed, and he believed the children were safe somewhere and not dead.. then why would you argue mitigating factors? Would that be seen as saying okay so now that you think he did it, here is why he shouldn't die? When in fact the postion is he shouldn't die because he didn't do it.
I listened to Prior's comment, he said 'if you have come to believe he suffocated her..." (which is likely what they have come to believe, ie, not that Alex did it.) So he's addressing them within the context of their beliefs.

JMO

Maybe it's one of those things where removing it from the books would just be more effort/controversy than it's worth. Accusations of being pro-adultery, actively encouraging it.

I tend to believe the loin-fire raged so strongly because they hadn't consummated, but that would be in obediance to church doctrine, not worldly laws.

JMO
In LV's case, I doubt it was in obedience to church doctrine. Rather, she wanted his appetite to grow sufficiently to overcome any conscience (or inclination to obedience) he might otherwise have had.

I think the only reason why I can tolerate Prior slightly (at times) is that, in comparison to Shoehorn on the Troconis trial (Dulos case) he is very professional. And that's saying a lot. (Shoehorn is holding a presser on the courthouse steps as I type this. I had to turn it off. He's still flapping his gums about how innocent his client is and is being rude to the media asking questions. )

I think the only reason why I can tolerate Prior slightly (at times) is that, in comparison to Shoehorn on the Troconis trial (Dulos case) he is very professional. And that's saying a lot. (Shoehorn is holding a presser on the courthouse steps as I type this. I had to turn it off. He's still flapping his gums about how innocent his client is and is being rude to the media asking questions. )
Was just thinking the same thing about 15 mins ago! JS is the absolute worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper