Trial - Ross Harris #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOLing that Dr. D was just a quack w/ opinions with no proof up until now when he's not testifying. Now he is *the* expert on memory and doesn't want to ruin his reputation and years of experience... Sigh.

I think no matter a personal opinion on Dr. Diamond, he was essential to their case. I do not personally believe in FBS or Dr. Diamond's theory, but that doesn't mean he is not a compelling witness. He is a VERY good communicator, and is effective at gaining compassion for a defendant. The fact is, he is THE person for hot car cases. Without him, you cannot find someone who can testify to the same information. (As evidenced yesterday.) IMO, his science isn't sound. That doesn't mean a jury wouldn't find it sound, and it doesn't mean it's not devastating for the defense.

I don't subscribe to dr diamonds "theory" but I was certainly open to hearing what he had to say. It's his actual own words that he won't testify for a case he doesn't believe is actual FBS- one can assume it's because he doesn't want to ruin his reputation.

I do believe that a parent can forget a child in the car- for a lot of different reasons that don't apply to Ross. IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOLing that Dr. D was just a quack w/ opinions with no proof up until now when he's not testifying. Now he is *the* expert on memory and doesn't want to ruin his reputation and years of experience... Sigh.

He is the expert on FBS. He is the go to person for these cases and in fact one prosecutor sought him out when deciding whether to bring charges or not.

Based on the evidence that was presented during the trial, I think that the chance that Cooper was "forgotten" in the car is infinitesimally small. I now believe that Cooper was purposely left in the car. I will outline the evidence as well as how I arrived at my conclusion this evening.

The ultimate nail in the coffin came when reflecting on Dr. Brewer's testimony. Up until Ross missed the entrance for the turn lane, he had multiple triggers reminding him that he just had breakfast for Cooper. For instance, the CFA itself would serve as a "cue" that Ross just had breakfast with Cooper. I don't believe that it is possible to forget something at the time same time that you are staring a trigger. It doesn't add up. The short time frame in which Cooper was forgotten has always been troublesome (I do understand that it takes only a fraction of a second to forget), but the fact that Ross had constant visible triggers/cues makes it practically impossible for that to happened.

While the jury cannot weigh Dr. Diamond backing out when they deliberate, I am not a juror. It is extremely telling to me. Dr. Diamond doesn't believe that Ross forgot, and I don't either.

I have not yet listened to the final witness today so this is subject to change.

He won't change your mind....

Like I said, they didn't even call the expert.

Well, clearly there 's more than one to be had. Dr. Brewer makes at least two. Perhaps there are more. I typed up and posted a close-enough transcript of his cross, and a summary of his direct, so those who are inclined and haven't/won't/ can't watch the hours of testimony can form an informed opinion of his efficacy.

IMO, he did what needed to be done, though I hoped for Diamond.

Okay, this guy is not making sense to me at all.

From what I know, security is a matter of the web site you are visiting. A VPN is typically used to mask one's IP address.

I understand if JRH needed a VPN to see what a web site looks like from someone else's IP. That makes sense, though I am not sure why he didn't replace the VPN he was using with another one.

However Moulton's example of a nurse logging into a hospital's web site did not make sense. She would not "need" a VPN to access a calendar or schedule events.

If she "wanted" a VPN to make sure her IP is not logged, or if she wanted to make sure how it looked on someone else's end, then that's her choice. It's not necessary though.

If you see an "https" in the address of a web site, then typically it is secure enough to browse. Of course there will always be a risk of hacking even with a VPN, but VPNs can also be hacked, and they can also keep logs of what you do through them, and they can also be under subpoena in the event you do something illegal online.

Again, I am not an expert. This is basic security stuff most people know. The actual expert should be able to explain this stuff, not me. But here I am...

Yeah I guess this is the time to decide whether or not RH will testify…drum roll….What does everybody think? I'm thinking he just might. He looks dressed for it.

I say no

Based on the evidence that was presented during the trial, I think that the chance that Cooper was "forgotten" in the car is infinitesimally small. I now believe that Cooper was purposely left in the car. I will outline the evidence as well as how I arrived at my conclusion this evening.

The ultimate nail in the coffin came when reflecting on Dr. Brewer's testimony. Up until Ross missed the entrance for the turn lane, he had multiple triggers reminding him that he just had breakfast for Cooper. For instance, the CFA itself would serve as a "cue" that Ross just had breakfast with Cooper. I don't believe that it is possible to forget something at the time same time that you are staring a trigger. It doesn't add up. The short time frame in which Cooper was forgotten has always been troublesome (I do understand that it takes only a fraction of a second to forget), but the fact that Ross had constant visible triggers/cues makes it practically impossible for that to happened.

While the jury cannot weigh Dr. Diamond backing out when they deliberate, I am not a juror. It is extremely telling to me. Dr. Diamond doesn't believe that Ross forgot, and I don't either.

I have not yet listened to the final witness today so this is subject to change.

With all due respect, we have absolutely no idea why Dr. Diamond didn't testify.

before we went to recess:

On re-direct, Rodriguez asks whether Harris was constantly clicking on a variety of topics on Reddit and also sharing links with friends. Moulton says he was.

They talk now about VPN -- virtual private networks -- which are designed to protect "point to point contacts." Moulton says he has set up VPN "tunnels."

Rodriguez: Was it your intent to mislead this jury with any testimony you were offering?

Moulton: Absolutely not.

Evans asks a question on re-cross, and Moulton is excused.

Now the parties approach the bench and go off-mic.

Now Judge Staley Clark asks the jury to leave the courtroom. She then grants the defense 15 minutes to discuss its next steps and recesses the court.

Okay, this guy is not making sense to me at all.

From what I know, security is a matter of the web site you are visiting. A VPN is typically used to mask one's IP address.

I understand if JRH needed a VPN to see what a web site looks like from someone else's IP. That makes sense, though I am not sure why he didn't replace the VPN he was using with another one.

However Moulton's example of a nurse logging into a hospital's web site did not make sense. She would not "need" a VPN to access a calendar or schedule events.

If she "wanted" a VPN to make sure her IP is not logged, or if she wanted to make sure how it looked on someone else's end, then that's her choice. It's not necessary though.

If you see an "https" in the address of a web site, then typically it is secure enough to browse. Of course there will always be a risk of hacking even with a VPN, but VPNs can also be hacked, and they can also keep logs of what you do through them, and they can also be under subpoena in the event you do something illegal online.

Again, I am not an expert. This is basic security stuff most people know. The actual expert should be able to explain this stuff, not me. But here I am...

Yea I didn't get that. I am a nurse and we don't use VPN at my work. We use a specific HIPPA compliant program that is internet based - the only vpn I've ever used was when I lived overseas- to access websites only in the US so admittedly my knowledge is limited to my work and Netflix LOL. The people that work for our program are coincidently at my work right now giving us training- I'm curious enough to want to know what this guy was talking about so I think I'll ask haha. Maybe I'll learn something I didn't know- like control f5 haha

EDIT: maybe the software we use already has one- but wasn't he saying she would use a vpn herself to do whatever she would do? Maybe I just misunderstood.

Freaking out over here...

LOL me too, first the UPS guy, then my 7 yr old grandson he said they are out of school today and was telling me all about his Wendys coupons he got trick or treating,. I said I will call you back... 3 times lol He said hey whats that noise. I said a trial he was like ... oh mimi and laughed.

I have to say that I am still on the fence…based on what I've seen (and I haven't seen every single moment of the trial, but most of it) I would have to say that there is reasonable doubt. But I could be convinced to change my mind with compelling argument from jurors who see it differently...

I don't subscribe to dr diamonds "theory" but I was certainly open to hearing what he had to say. It's his actual own words that he won't testify for a case he doesn't believe is actual FBS- one can assume it's because he doesn't want to ruin his reputation.

I do believe that a parent can forget a child in the car- for a lot of different reasons that don't apply to Ross. IMO.

I agree.

And just for the record I have yet to see anyone here call Dr Diamond a quack.

We discussed that possibility about Dr Brewer yesterday, though I eventually arrived at the conclusion that he's a genuinely nice guy who didn't know enough about the case to form an opinion, nor did he put together a coherent theory to suggest JRH's memory failed.

More to the point, it's hard to accuse someone of being a quack when they haven't even explained their methodology or if it stands up to critical examination. This is assuming Brewer has a methodology and isn't just talking over everyone's heads.

Well, clearly there 's more than one to be had. Dr. Brewer makes at least two. Perhaps there are more. I typed up and posted a close-enough transcript of his cross, and a summary of his direct, so those who are inclined and haven't/won't/ can't watch the hours of testimony can form an informed opinion of his efficacy.

IMO, he did what needed to be done, though I hoped for Diamond.

Maybe the State put too much constraints on him?

I really thought that was defendants were done, what could they be discussing. They've really did a lot of short days.
I thought State could do there last one before lunch, and recess to Monday.

Back to yesterday's speculation. I wonder if Dr. Diamond's willingness to testify was contingent upon RH's willingness to take the stand. I'd imagine that would be a decision the DT would need to review towards the end of trial, to best counsel RH, so maybe a last minute but not unanticipated need to locking in a placement?

I find it difficult to believe a highly credentialled , nationally known expert witness would bail because he didn't like the way the wind is blowing.

Dr Diamond has said in many articles that he would never testify for someone if he was not certain they had suffered from FBS. And this case had a few things that might have made him wonder about that. He would not have been able to use his 'usual' testimony in this case. And I think he was worried it would taint future prospective clients. he has a 'foundation' of past clients, who are very close, like a family unit. They pull together and support each other and counsel others. I don't think he wanted to open that circle to Ross. JMO :cow: :moo:

But that was a very weak performance, imo. I don't think it was very compelling. JMO

Agree to disagree. Direct was meh style wise, but the jury isn't there to be entertained, and I imagine they were paying close attention. He did what he had to do, imo, and was way better on cross.

I think where the State was most effective was on the subject of cues. Brewer conceded that cues make it more likely for one to snap out of false memory, and he conceded most of Boring 's long list of cues.

Ross is waiving his right to testify. Defense won't be calling any more witnesses.

He's not going to testify…Defense has no more witnesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HNDere