Trial Thread 4/19/2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you..glad to see another webber reads the infamous UK Daily Mail ha... saw this myself this morning and went wow...this sounds familiar and to think this guy is a New York investment banker! it just proves to me the point I was trying to get across yesterday about MR and the thousands of others out there who do the same thing..JMO doesn't make them a murderer...what is interesting about this article is the comments from readers...some go overboard I will admit..wonder if Dirk is aware of this...maybe he could use it in his summary ha..MOO

:mad: Don't give him any ideas!

lol :eek:)

I agree! Maybe it was not AL he wanted to marry. It could have been TLM or any of the plethora of women he was dating.

Maybe he was upset because AL was a good friend from his past and dumped him because his present was so messed up (drugs).

JMO!!!

A friend of mine suggested something interesting to consider:

TLM testified that they tried on rings together. What if at some point she realized he was testing sizes on her finger with someone else in mind as his future wife? Imagine how mad, hurt and humiliated she'd have felt?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/03/22/stafford-rafferty-trial-thurs.html

Not quite my opinion of what happened, rather, just a thought.

Mike, can you explain why the crown can not call Rafferty as a witness.
Mike Knoll: @Dsl - I've tried a couple times to explain this and feel like I don't do a good job. The defendant is innocent until proven guilty. The onus is on the Crown to present a case that proves this. The defense - in essence - is the defendant. His lawyers are speaking on his behalf and are essentially putting words in his mouth. Think of everything the defense says as if the defendant is saying it (very loosely, or course)

Is the Jury all local from the London area or are they picked from all sections of the province.
Mike Knoll: @John - the jurors are all from the area. They go home at night.

The crown cannot call Rafferty because the crown cannot force a defendant to assist them in makeing the crown's case.
Mike Knoll: thanks @guest - that's nice and concise.

[Comment From Keith
I think you mean disproves "the Innocent until proven guilty"?
Mike Knoll: @Keith - right - prove guilt.

so why all the talk about mistrial is it because of the public being in with all the legal issues?
Mike Knoll: @deb - the only reason I'm talking about mistrials is because legal mechanisms are the kinds of things that can be discussed here. This trial is not any more or less in danger of a mistrial than any trial.

Does the Defence have the right to recall a witness that was called by the Crown?
Mike Knoll: @guest - there would have to be a compelling reason to recall a witness and the judge would have to approve it. It happens but it is quite rare.

I thought the jury was sequestered throughout the trial and not allowed to go home? Can a mistrial be called if someone on the jury says something outside of the courtroom?
Mike Knoll: @guest - this is not a sequestered jury. Your hypothetical situation could indeed cause a mistrial but jurors take their responsibility very seriously and this event is unlikely.

Were getting to the cell phone records, this is what I have been waiting to hear. Who he called on April 8th

Mike Knoll: Hank Daniszewski's morning update:

The murder trial of Michael Rafferty resumed Thursday with technical testimony from a Bell Canada Enterprises official.

David Broad was a wireless security manager for Bell in 2009 when he was contacted by police about calls made from Michael Rafferty's Blackberry.

Broad explained that cellphones always send out a signal so they can locate the closest tower. The towers have up to three sectors with antennas that pick up calls from different areas surrounding the towers.

For billing purposes the network logs the number of the phone calling, the number called, the time and duration, the cell towers used and the area where the call originated.

The court has heard that police were able to determine that Rafferty made calls from the Mount Forest area on the day Victoria Stafford disappeared.

The location of the cellphone towers that relayed the signals were used to locate Stafford's body.

The court will be seeing the list of calls made from Rafferty's cellphone from Feb. 1, 2009 to April 8 - the day Tori disappeared and another list from April 8 to May 19 - the day Rafferty was arrested.

The court will also see records for a cellphone owned by Carol McClintic which was also used by her daughter Terri-Lynne McClintic, who has already plead guilty and been convicted of Stafford's murder

The jury is back in the courtroom.

RaffertyLFP: Broad is going through a list Rafferty call that identify the cell tower and the cell sector

Showing Rafferty's phone transmitted a call, or data in Woodstock, Cambridge, Mt. Forest, Arthur, and Guelph.

..on April 8th, 2009,

There were data calls that hit transmitters in Woodstock, Drumbo, Guelph, Fergus and Preston (part of Cambridge).

RaffertyLFP: Broad is gong through cell and data calls made from Rafferty's cellphone on April 7 and 8th 2009

Steven D'Souza ‏ @cbcsteve
Back from recess. Court looking at columns of voice/data calls from Rafferty and McClintic phones, still focusing on technical info #sl

Avery Moore ‏ @AveryFreeFMNews
Jury still hearing about how call logs are presented. Still no direct info connected to #Rafferty and McClintic.

RaffertyLFP: On May 17 2009 Broad turned over data on Rafferty's phone calls made on April 8 to police

RaffertyLFP: Court is seeing a map detailing the locations where Rafferty made phone and data call on April 8 2009

Carnegie suggests police looked into Rafferty's cell phone usage on May 17th, 2009. Broad can't remember the date.

Next slide shows the map between Woodstock and Mount Forest. Shows sites Rafferty's phone used to make calls.

I saw a tweet come through but wasn't sure if that's where he'd go if found guilty.

Hmmm...wonder where he'll go now? Does Woodstock have a prison?

~ Just noticed this on Citynews....

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...201526--kingston-penitentiary-to-close-report

Ottawa may be closing Kingston Penitentiary.

The federal government will close the maximum security prison as part of its federal budget cuts, according to a news report.

The building opened in 1835 and houses some of Canada's most notorious prisoners.

Among its occupants are Paul Bernardo and Russell Williams.

RaffertyLFP: The map shows calls made from Woodstock Drumbo Cambridge Kitchener Guelph, Arthur, Mount Forest, Eramosz

Rafferty stopped making calls in Woodstock at 12:06. Phone doesn't transmit anything until a call in Guelph at 4:28.

Correction on the Guelph call, the second one there was at 4:28. There was also one at 4:19.

Map does not show where text messages were sent, as Bell doesn't bill based on tower location for those.

RaffertyLFP: Broad said the first call was made in Woodstock at 12:06 p.m. the next calls were from Guelph and Cambridge around 4 p.m

There are also data calls in Guelph, around the same time.

RaffertyLFP: The next call around 5 p.m. from Guelph then a data call after 6 p.m from Fergus followed shortly by another call from Mount Forest

RaffertyLFP: The map shows calls made from Woodstock Drumbo Cambridge Kitchener Guelph, Arthur, Mount Forest, Eramosz [via Twitter]

RaffertyLFP: Court is seeing a map detailing the locations where Rafferty made phone and data call on April 8 2009 [via Twitter]

Court looking at map plotting cell tower sites where voice calls and data calls were made on Apr. 8, 2009 from Michael Rafferty’s phone #sl

Linda Nguyen ‏ @LindaNguyenPN
We're now seeing a map of cellular phone towers from Woodstock to Mount Forest

Avery Moore ‏ @AveryFreeFMNews
Jury is looking at a map of cell towers from Woodstock to Mount Forest with data & cell phone calls time stamped at each location.

Witness listing voice/data calls made on Apr. 8/09 - no activity btw 17:03:03 and 19:46:42 that day. Note: Txt messages not listed here #sl

bbm

Linda Nguyen ‏ @LindaNguyenPN
Broad has mapped all voice and data calls made from #Rafferty's cellphone on Apr8,2009. Number of calls were that aft and evening

RaffertyLFP: There was another call from Arthur area just after 8 p.m.followed by one from Cambridge and two from Guelph

Last data call in Guelph at 5:03.

Next, a call from the Fergus tower at 7:46, and one from Mt. forest at 7:47. Carnegie says that will be explained.

RaffertyLFP: There was more calls from Drumbo and Woodstock after 11 p.m

There was a call from the Arthur tower at 8:05. Then calls in the Guelph/Cambridge area at 8:41, 8:45 and 8:49.

There are data calls in the Woodstock/Drumbo area at 11:21 and 11:37.

RaffertyLFP: There wil be more evidence about the call made from the Fergus tower at 7:46 p.m. narrowing the location

RaffertyLFP: Derstine begins cross-examination of Broad

Thank you for todays tweets guys, you all make this so much easier..

So the cell phone (however is was done ) was off for about 4 and half hours

Added:

I thought TLM testifiyd he had removed the battery DURING the kidnapping? if the pings stopped at 12:06 and didnt get another till 4pm then it was removed ( or however it was done ) prior to the abduction

Carnegie is finished. Derstine cross examining.

Derstine suggests data calls can last for a full day. One call lasts 17 hours, on data.

Broad agrees those calls can be long.

RaffertyLFP: Derstine is questioning a data call on Rafferty's phone record that appears to go on for 17 hours

Showing detailed bill data again. Report shows at 10:02 on April 7th, the 17 hour data call started.

Derstine now cross-examining Bell employee. Pointing out length of time not shown on map showing calls made Apr. 8th #sl

ETA: Broad is a Bell employee? Am I confused? Maybe I'm the one who needs more coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member