TRIAL Week One - Ross Harris 3 October 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay so little Cooper didn't eat at chick-fil-a, but RH felt it necessary to go in to get his food? That alone makes no sense to me. You are a grown man, running late for work, so you think it's a good idea to go in to get food? Why not the drive thru? Why not grab a banana on the way out the door? Or slam a coffee and a piece of toast? Or just skip breakfast and wait till lunch?

Because Ross is immature and work wasn't a priority- IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Georgia law specifically excludes child neglect and unintentional crimes against children as being the predicate underlying crime to establish felony murder. I'll look it up but I remember discussing this early on. But sure, whatever crime they can prove beyond a reasonable doubt should result in conviction. It's my understanding that the main charge is malice murder - not felony murder.

Georgia law does not exclude child cruelty/neglect from being the underlying felony.

This is just totally me as a mom, but I would have been 1000% laser focused on my baby. I would have screamed help, but not "what have I done". I would have never put him on hot asphalt, but at least on the cooler sidewalk steps away. I would never walk away. I would have been right next to my baby, holding his hand. I would only be on the phone to call 911. I would still hope he could be resuscitated, even in the face of overwhelming evidence of death. I personally can't fathom his actions at the scene as they've been described. MOO!

The police were there, almost literally instantaneously, per testimony. No need to call 911.

I'm not sure I would be capable of thinking about where or what I was laying (I can't say it) after (---) out of my car. Can't even imagine the utter shock and horror of such a moment.

Harris tried to revive Cooper and seems to have realized fairly immediately that wasn't going to happen . (I think it's interesting that the civilian who tried to revive Cooper said two CPR breaths later he knew it was hopeless, but that police officers say they did 92-100 compressions, despite Cooper's body clearly being in rigor).

Ross was extremely concerned about Leanne getting to daycare and not finding Cooper. He called the daycare . I find that concern totally understandable.

And, the thing here is Ross knew immediately and said immediately he was responsible for Cooper's death. It's that I think is unfathomable to virtually all of us, certainly to me--what exactly is a "normal" response to your own baby's death to begin with, much less to knowing you are responsible for that death??

The police were there, almost literally instantaneously, per testimony. No need to call 911.

Harris tried to revive Cooper and seems to have realized fairly immediately that wasn't going to happen . (I think it's interesting that the civilian who tried to revive Cooper said two CPR breaths later he knew it was hopeless, but that police officers say they did 92-100 compressions, despite Cooper's body clearly being in rigor).

Ross was clearly concerned about Leanne getting to daycare and not finding Cooper. He called the daycare . I find that concern totally understandable.

And, the thing here is Ross knew immediately and said immediately he WAS responsible for Cooper's death. It's that I think is unfathomable to virtually all of us, certainly to me--what exactly is a "normal" response to your own baby's death to begin with, much less to knowing you are responsible for that death??

Why is it understandable that he call the day care. She would be in a safe place and could easily reach out to him. I do not understand the rush to call the day care.

Okay so little Cooper didn't eat at chick-fil-a, but RH felt it necessary to go in to get his food? That alone makes no sense to me. You are a grown man, running late for work, so you think it's a good idea to go in to get food? Why not the drive thru? Why not grab a banana on the way out the door? Or slam a coffee and a piece of toast? Or just skip breakfast and wait till lunch?

Not defending Ross, but from personal experience many times the drive thru lines were so long that it was much quicker to park and go in.

I wasn't able to watch after lunch, can someone explain the defense asking for a mistrial a little better? Like explain like you would to a five year old? I jacked my hip up over the weekend and went to the doctor today for scans and he gave me muscle relaxers which have me all sorts of loopy. Thank god my mother in law is having my little one over for a sleep over!

Not defending Ross, but from personal experience many times the drive thru lines were so long that it was much quicker to park and go in.

Maybe so. Personally I would have just skipped breakfast, I hate buckling/unbuckling for quick run ins if they aren't an absolutely necessary stop/errand and I'm pressed for time.

I wasn't able to watch after lunch, can someone explain the defense asking for a mistrial a little better? Like explain like you would to a five year old? I jacked my hip up over the weekend and went to the doctor today for scans and he gave me muscle relaxers which have me all sorts of loopy. Thank god my mother in law is having my little one over for a sleep over!

I would appreciate the details on this as well. I saw part of the cross, but had walked away from my computer when all happened.

exactly. I don't see a motive to frame him.
I don't think I would call it motive to frame. I don't think a lot of cops got together in a conspiracy to gang up and frame JRH. I see it as a group of people that all love kids. That most of them have kids. Maybe now are grandparents. Once everyone sees a cut blonde baby laying dead on hot concrete, emotions set in. Instant justice is demanded. Maybe some emotions override rational thoughts.

1. The DT has the right (duty) to try to impeach witness testimony

2. The DT believed the officer 's testimony wasn't consistent with what he had written in his report (on at least several points, not just the single one about Harris "acting.")

3. The DT wanted the officer's report introduced into evidence.

4. The judge denied that request.

5. The defense asked for a mistrial because:

a. they asserted they couldn't properly impeach the witness without the report being introduced

b. that a recent law in GA held police reports exactly in this situation and context should be ruled admissable for the defense to use.

Staley denied the mistrial because she thought it an overly broad and excessive remedy to the defense's objection to her evidentiary ruling, especially since the testimony in question was not in any case prejudicial enough to deny Ross a fair trial.

The law is recent, she's allowing both sides to research and present next week, and offered the potential remedy of recalling the officer if necessary.

2. The DT believed the officer 's testimony wasn't consistent with what he had written in his report.

a. they asserted they couldn't properly impeach the witness without the report being introduced

b. that a recent law in GA held police reports exactly in this situation and context should be ruled admissable for the defense to use.

Staley denied the mistrial because she thought it an overly broad and excessive response to the defense's objection to her evidentiary ruling, especially since the testimony in question was not in any case prejudicial enough to deny Ross a fair trial.

The law is recent, she's allowing both sides to research and present next week, and offered the potential remedy of recalling the officer if necessary.

Thank you very much!

This is just totally me as a mom, but I would have been 1000% laser focused on my baby. I would have screamed help, but not "what have I done". I would have never put him on hot asphalt, but at least on the cooler sidewalk steps away. I would never walk away. I would have been right next to my baby, holding his hand. I would only be on the phone to call 911. I would still hope he could be resuscitated, even in the face of overwhelming evidence of death. I personally can't fathom his actions at the scene as they've been described. MOO!

I understand your post.

Witness TJ helped lay Cooper down after getting him out of the car. I dont remember and could be wrong, but I do not remb them asking that witness why didn't lay Cooper somewhere else. JMHO freaking out prob not thinking about anything but lay down on something hard and start CPR as quickly as possible. (I know my hindsight would be 20/20)

Witness Dale Hamiltion gentleman that leaving Subway, testified to demeanor that RH yelling it an emergency and the man in van came and was helping. ** just from witnesses so far appears some kind of help yelling was done (by orig testimony) JMHO

Testimony from Officer Foglia said that Officer Gillimore ordered everyone to get back. Witness Hawkins testified that RH was doing something but not right and he told RH to get back and then Hawkins took over CPR. (all this happened in very small time frame) But per Foglia did testify that he was told to get back, they didnt know what was going on.. Defense asked paraphrasing and if he hadnt followed that order to move away, could he have been arrested? .. Foglia "could have-would have"

Why is it understandable that he call the day care. She would be in a safe place and could easily reach out to him. I do not understand the rush to call the day care.

Wouldn't you panic if you went to pick your child up and he wasn't there? And then the daycare said - well, he was never here today at all?

(My DS never went to daycare, but same response applies to pick up from anywhere, IMO).

I wasn't listening this afternoon. Why did the judge not allow the police report to be introduced into evidence?

Do we know the nature of the inconsistent testimony? Thank you.

JMO but if sexting is the "cause" of forgetting a child in a car that leads to the death of the child, this is the same IMO if it were because the parent was on drugs or drunk. JMO

Wouldn't you panic if you went to pick your child up and he wasn't there? And then the daycare said - well, he was never here today at all?

(My DS never went to daycare, but same response applies to pick up from anywhere, IMO).

Of course I would panic but it seems like Ross first focus should be on his son laying on the asphalt dead and worry less about his wifes panic.I guess that is just me. The child was dead and the wife would be confused and inconvenienced at the day care. Notifying her of Coopers death could be done as soon as the child was taken away.

I know right. He handled it well when he said "thats why I wrote acting" LOL

But he also said he was not "acting" genuine. Does that mean he was, in fact, being genuine? [emoji848]

Was the mother charged with anything? Could RH be calling her to let her know he had done the deed? Just a thought .....

2. The DT believed the officer 's testimony wasn't consistent with what he had written in his report (on at least several points, not just the single one about Harris "acting.")

Staley denied the mistrial because she thought it an overly broad and excessive remedy to the defense's objection to her evidentiary ruling, especially since the testimony in question was not in any case prejudicial enough to deny Ross a fair trial.

T/Y for the details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member