True Crime Movies

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hollywood producers can't handle leaving a case unsolved. It must be OCD or something of the sort.

I don't have a lot of true crime movies so my list is short:

All the President's Men A story about a simple burglary

Bernie True story about a murder, also a black comedy, and it amazed me how they were able to do both.

Adaptation Technically a true crime story about an orchid thief, that part of the movie is very accurate, but other parts are for fun.

Yes, black comedies about actual murders is kind of a touchy subject to some.

I just saw In Her Skin tonight and it was chilling. It was about the murder of 15 year old Rachel Barber in Melbourne,AU by her former neighbor Caroline Reed-Robertson out of jealousy and IMO mental illness. In the UK it's called I Am You.

I just watched this on netflix. WoW and CR can be released next year if the parole board says alright in July 2013.

Tonight I watched "In Her Skin" on Netflix - the story of Rachel Barber who was murdered. The thought that her killer may soon be released is chilling indeed.

Hi Standreid and sluethers,
I recently watched a movie on dvd. It was called Megan in Missing. It was THE MOST
DISTURBING movie i have ever seen especially the last half hour (it actually kept me awake the night i watched it) It was an American movie and it stated it was based on true events (I HOPE NOT) -are you familiar with it? It was about an online predator who lured two teenage girls by making them beleive he was their age (and he claimed his video cam was broken so no visual). Im wanting to know if it was in fact based on a true story do you know who it was based on? I think it was based in California and it was doco style and parts of it was seen through their video camera? It was chilling and i watched the last 30 minutes of it with hands over my eyes. Thanks in advance standreid or anyone who can help. (PS- Im in Australia but i think the man at the start of the movie doing a warning on online predators was the American man Mark Klass?)

Hi Kate:

I haven't seen the film but it says based on actual events which sometimes means it's a mixture of several cases that may not have been all that much related. There are some mentions of internet serial killer John Edward Robinson when I google the film so perhaps the filmmaker took that case and mixed in some teenager abduction that may not have had anything to do with the internet. I don't see or know of a single case anywhere that exactly mirrors the film as described.

From my experience, films that say "based on actual events" or "inspired by an actual case" actually bear little resemblance a specific single case. Even when they say "based on an actual case", the time, names and place may be changed and considerable license may also be taken with the story itself. If it says "a true story" then it's usually more of a docudrama type presentation but even then the events are probably as much an interpretation as the real occurrences.

Hey thank you standreid your the best! :blushing:

Most of the movie is pretty tacky and contained lots of swearing and un-necessary sex scenes but if that hadn't been in it I think it would have been
a really good film to show kids of today just how vulnerable they are online.
It could have been shown in schools for awareness but I think the bulk of
the movie wouldn't get school approval. The last half an hour of that movie totally flipped me - I couldn't believe how easily he lured Megan into meeting
him behind a restaurant car park at night.
(Im glad there was no real Megan standreid)

I don't have a lot of true crime movies so my list is short:

All the President's Men A story about a simple burglary

Bernie True story about a murder, also a black comedy, and it amazed me how they were able to do both.

Adaptation Technically a true crime story about an orchid thief, that part of the movie is very accurate, but other parts are for fun.

Has In Cold Blood been posted? It's a great film and closely follows the brilliant true crime book, IIRC.

(I just found this thread, so heading backwards.)

Has In Cold Blood been posted? It's a great film and closely follows the brilliant true crime book, IIRC.

(I just found this thread, so heading backwards.)

Hi PPKik:

Yes, I think I put it in my top ten. The made for TV remake is also pretty good.

Kate-I will try to check the film out the next time I'm at the video rental-Thanks

My top 10 and the actual crimes they were inspired by with (Year of release-Country of making-Running time):

10-Lonely Hearts (2006-U.S.-1:48) The slayings by Raymond Fernandez and Martha Beck

9-In Cold Blood (1967-U.S.-2:13) A grayscale rendition of the Clutter Family massacre

8-Murderous Maids [Les Blessures Assassines] (2000-Fr.-1:34) The killings by the Papin Sisters

7-Let Him Have It (1991-U.K.-1:55) The controversial Bentley and Craig Case

6-Borderland (2007-U.S.-1:45) The cult murders at Matamoros

5-The Man From the Pru (1989-U.K.-1:30) The unsolved murder of Julia Wallace

4-True Confessions (1981-U.S.-1:50) A film inspired by the unsolved Black Dahlia murder

3-10 Rillington Place (1971-U.K.-1:51) The crimes of serial killer John Christie

2-The Young Poisoner's Handbook (1994-U.K.-1:39) The serial murders of Graham Young

1-White Mischief (1988-U.K.-1:48) The unsolved murder of Lord Errol

Here ya go - #9.

Yes, I liked The Thin Blue Line. It's been about 20 years since I watched it though.

Since I only have broadcast TV now, I guess I'll have to wait for the Jodie Arias Blu-ray to come out.

My top 10 and the actual crimes they were inspired by with (Year of release-Country of making-Running time):

1-White Mischief (1988-U.K.-1:48) The unsolved murder of Lord Errol
snip

Juanita Carberry obit. (Telegraph)
Juanita Carberry, who has died aged 88, played a role in one of the most celebrated murder cases of the 20th century — the sensational shooting in 1941 of the philandering 22nd Earl of Erroll, a prominent figure in the louche Happy Valley set in wartime Kenya that inspired the Hollywood film White Mischief (1987).

The obit at the link.

I don't think Juanita Carberry was depicted in that film at least not by name. She was portrayed in a TV movie about the case that came out about the same time. I guess they were both waiting for Diana to die.

I don't think Juanita Car berry was depicted in that film at least not by name. She was portrayed in a TV movie about the case that came out about the same time. I guess they were both waiting for Diana to die.

She was played by Holly Arid in The Happy Valley.

Since I only have broadcast TV now, I guess I'll have to wait for the Jodie Arias Blu-ray to come out.

It looks like the next play for this on Lifetime is late afternoon or early evening on Saturday September 14.

So plenty of time to plan your big weekend.:HHJP:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChriNBelusk0
Back