True Crime Movies

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yeah, some have an issue with low budget but I don't, at least not in this case.

I enjoyed it, my only criticism was the use of the musical instrument/knife and the ending. It didn't need any embelishments and twisting of facts, it was scary in itself.

My money is on Youell Swinney being the perp. I would love to hear what his fellow inmates knew.

Yes Robin, there was some license. I think the car thief LeDoux was the movie's "inclusion" of Swinney and the ending with the train was possibly inspired by McSpadden.

The names were changed in the film as were dates. I can see the first possibly but don't understand the latter.

36-Ed Gein (2001-U.S.-1:28) Same said serial killer

37-Fool's Gold (1992-U.K.-1:37) Murder and the Brink's-Mat robbery

38-M (1931-Gr.-1:20) Supposedly inspired by Peter Kurten

39-The Town That Dreaded Sundown (1976-U.S.-1:30) The unsolved Texarkana Phantom serial killings

40-Pandora's Box [Die Buchse der Pandora] (1928-Gr.-1:50) Silent unsolved Jack the Ripper rendition

Here it is on my Top 200 List.

I'm watching The Strangers (2007) tonight which is said to be inspired by Cabin 28. To me, it bares at least as strong a resemblance to the Drew-Hack slayings (The Sweetheart Murders) that occurred in Wisconsin in 1980. The Drew-Hack Case was finally solved in 2009 when a DNA match was tied to serial killer Edward Edwards.

Ditto for'The Town That Dreaded Sundown'!
Another movie based on a facinating if not widely known true case.
I saw it for the first time in my little hometown theater in Montana back in the '70's...left the theater afterwards in broad daylight and still seriously creeped out walking home!

As I mentioned on another thread - according to IMDb and Wiki, MGM is in the process of remaking this picture with a big budget this time although I wonder if it might be shot in a faux low-budget style sort of like Hitchcock did with Psycho.

Is that for a program on a cable channel?

I watched Dirty Harry last night on Blu-ray with the audio commentary. Although I'd always heard that it was based on Zodiac, I didn't hear the commentator mention it. There were a couple similarities to Zodiac but also to some other cases. The sniper method of killing was more like Charles Whitman and the teenage girl who was kidnapped and died while being hidden down a drainpipe was reminiscent of the Donald Neilson slaying of Leslie Whittle.

As with I Shot Andy Warhol, true-crime black comedies are a little less controversial if no-one is actually murdered.

I watched Dirty Harry last night on Blu-ray with the audio commentary. Although I'd always heard that it was based on Zodiac, I didn't hear the commentator mention it. There were a couple similarities to Zodiac but also to some other cases. The sniper method of killing was more like Charles Whitman and the teenage girl who was kidnapped and died while being hidden down a drainpipe was reminiscent of the Donald Neilson slaying of Leslie Whittle.
Yeah other then 'Scorpios' ransom letters looking very much like the Zodiacs scrawl I really didnt see much simularity.
Though the period shots of S.F.certainly invoked the Zodiac period,especially with all the Yellow Cabs just like Paul Stine's.
In the opening sequences where they are scrolling the memorial to fallen SFPD officers you can see Officer Eric Zelm's name.
He was one of the two officers who very probably encountered Zodiac right after the Stine murder in Presidio Heights.
He was killed by a gunman during a botched burglary just a few months later in 1970.
Oh BTW Re: your other post,im very intrigued at the idea of a remake for the 'Town That Dreaded Sundown' though the track record of modern large budget remakes of classic low budget 70's movies has been disappointing it would be nice to have this be the exception.

Yeah other then 'Scorpios' ransom letters looking very much like the Zodiacs scrawl I really didnt see much simularity.
Though the period shots of S.F.certainly invoked the Zodiac period,especially with all the Yellow Cabs just like Paul Stine's.
In the opening sequences where they are scrolling the memorial to fallen SFPD officers you can see Officer Eric Zelm's name.
He was one of the two officers who very probably encountered Zodiac right after the Stine murder in Presidio Heights.
He was killed by a gunman during a botched burglary just a few months later in 1970.

Yes, there's little doubt regarding some influence from Zodiac with, it looks like, some other cases thrown into the mix. There is also the school bus chase at the end possibly relating to Zodiacs threat to attack children on one of those.

Yes, there's little doubt regarding some influence from Zodiac with, it looks like, some other cases thrown into the mix. There is also the school bus chase at the end possibly relating to Zodiacs threat to attack children on one of those.
Yeah! Id forgotten about the school bus bit(I need to watch it again its been awhile)im sure that was directly inspired by Zodiac.
Do you ever post on the Websleuth Zodiac forum Standreid?
Id love to hear some of your thoughts on that case.

Hi Kline:

I'll have to check that forum. I'm thinking that I've posted on that forum but maybe I'm thinking of a similar forum on another site.

SPOILER ALERT

Of course the serial killer is caught (actually killed resisting arrest) in the movie.

SPOILER ALERT

Of course the serial killer is caught (actually killed resisting arrest) in the movie.
Yeah sadly events in the real Zodiac case didnt provide such a satisfying ending! (....Well? Do Ya Punk???)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChriNBelusk0
Back