True Crime Movies

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As per reports, the BBC has a miniseries currently in production about the Jack the Ripper Case. Its given title is Ripper Street and it is supposed to consist of eight parts which I assume would make it either 8 or 16 hours long. That might even max out a Blu-ray disc. IMDb has a 2012 release date on it but that would be late this year I suppose if not later.

Did anyone see the Drew Peterson movie?

I saw the Drew Peterson movie, it was good but should have been a mini series instead, they went through the events way too fast! Good movie though.

Did anyone mention the movie "Murder In Texas" the murder of Joan Robinson Hill, it's a good movie and Sam Elliot was scary as John Hill almost as scary as Rob Lowes portrayal of Drew Peterson!

"Lovely bones" is based on a novel by Alice Sebold.She wrote a biographical novel before that called "Lucky".Alice Sebold was raped and left for dead when she went to college.
So even though "Lovely bones" is not based on actual events Alice Sebold certainly has the authority to write about a little girl that was raped and killed.It's a story about what could have been her and how she imagined life after death.I don't know if anything in the family situation resembles her true life story,she doesn't really get into it in "Lucky"
"Lucky" is an incredible book to read.
It's about dealing with her emotional scars and finally overcoming the traumatic event.

Wow, I never knew that about Alice Sebold! Is the Lucky book a biography?

Did anyone mention the movie "Murder In Texas" the murder of Joan Robinson Hill, it's a good movie and Sam Elliot was scary as John Hill almost as scary as Rob Lowes portrayal of Drew Peterson!

Yes, I had it at #114 on my top 200 list.

Of course M is up there in its original form. I haven't seen the remake.

The remake of In Cold Blood is decent.

I like Badlands but my favorite Starkweather movie is actually Murder In the Heartland with Tim Roth.
I too thought 'Murder in the Heartland' was excellent...one of Tim Roth's best roles and actually very factual to the case far more so then 'Badlands'
Its amazing how few know about it though(you can see most of it in segments on YOUTUBE).
Richard Brooks 1967 'In Cold Blood' is one of my all time favorites.Filmed on location in the Clutter House in Holcomb Kansas,the courtroom scenes at Garden City.
It Also used the real Gallows Perry and Dick died on as well as the real hangman.
Nancy Clutter's horse was also used. From what ive read when the young actress playing Nancy crawled on the horses back it immediatly turned and headed for the river where Nancy used to take it.
Great list Standreid!

Thanks kline. Yes in my view, Roth should have gotten an Emmy for his performance. Perhaps the Academy had misgivings due to the dark nature of the movie but those are the events so get over it. I remember when Starkweather was on the loose and the whole country was afraid that he was coming here next.

HBO is reportedly working on a Lizzie Borden miniseries but I don't see a release date on it yet.

Were the Betty Broderick movies mentioned?

"A Woman Scorned (The Betty Broderick Story)" and "Her Final Fury (Betty Broderick, The Last Chapter)"

Starring Meredith Baxter.

:)

Thanks kline. Yes in my view, Roth should have gotten an Emmy for his performance. Perhaps the Academy had misgivings due to the dark nature of the movie but those are the events so get over it. I remember when Starkweather was on the loose and the whole country was afraid that he was coming here next.
He certainly had the Lincoln area in the grip of terror.
I cant imagine.Folks werent as de-sensitized back then.
I was thinking about this case last year when I drove through Douglas Wyoming wondering where exactly along the Highway Merle Collison was killed and that final chase started.
And yes their have certainly been far less worthy performances on TV that have earned an Emmy then the one Roth turned in.
Perhaps like you say the fact that this movie presented the facts of the case rather then trying to turn it into a James Dean knock-off like 'Badlands' worked against it.
Kind of hard to sympathize with an 'Anti-Hero' who bludgeons a two year old baby to death.

I do remember rumors that Starkweather might be headed for here in Illinois when he was on the loose. It was a relief when he was caught.

26-Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986-U.S.-2:17) Loosely base on the Lucas/Toole murders

27-Mobsters (1991-U.S.-1:44) Murders and rise of Luciano, Lansky, Costello and Siegel

28-Citizen X (1991-U.S.-1:45) Serial killer Andrei Chikatilo

29-Heavenly Creatures (1994-U.K.-1:48) Murder by Parker and Hume

30-Zodiac (2007-U.S.-2:38) Unsolved serial murders by Zodiac

Yep, X was originally on HBO I believe.

HBO is reportedly working on a Lizzie Borden miniseries but I don't see a release date on it yet.

I don't have HBO, but I might be willing to get it just to watch this.

I still can't find an exact release date Patx. Hopefully they can get the whole thing on one Blue-ray.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
verydemureverycute
Back