Tunisia - GUILTY - 38 killed in resort shooting, Port El Kantaoui, 26 June 2015 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've been in tears this morning reading all the news. The sad truth is that this could happen anywhere these days.

This will have a huge impact on Tunisian holidays. Several friends have cancelled their trips already. I did look at Sousse when we were booking our summer holiday this year (they were the cheapest by a long shot) but the government warnings were more than enough to put us off. All those people indirectly effected as well, the young Tunisians working their first jobs in hotels and bars who'll be out of work with the drop in tourism. Restaurants with no trade. Families with struggling businesses. Ultimately that's exactly what terrorists want! Create fear, stop people from living their normal lives.

I do think military action is required. But how do you fight against a group like ISIS?? Spread across many countries, no firm base, no army, just a bunch of lunatics with weapons.

The majority of this forum's membership are Americans, and these terrorist attacks appear to have been under-reported in the US media. Right now the aftermath of the Charleston massacre and the Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage - understandably big news in America - appear to have crowded out reporting of the terrorist attacks, all the more so since there appear to have been no American victims this time.

I was chatting to an American friend in Pittsburgh this morning, and was surprised to learn that she hadn't even heard about the terrorist attacks in the media. I had to tell her myself what had happened.

I know that Americans are neither ignorant about, nor uninterested in, such things happening elsewhere. But they do need to be able to rely on their media to keep them informed.

I simply don't understand why so much of the American media seems to regard this as so comparatively unnewsworthy.

You are absolutely spot on, I don't understand either. I guess that's what I was getting at, I expected it to be top news over there and WS to be all over it. Like the Paris attacks and the Sydney siege. I was on here for both of those getting updates, and this time I couldn't even find anything at first.

You are absolutely spot on, I don't understand either. I guess that's what I was getting at, I expected it to be top news over there and WS to be all over it. Like the Paris attacks and the Sydney siege. I was on here for both of those getting updates, and this time I couldn't even find anything at first.

I know. And I've just checked out the legalisation of gay marriage thread - 671 responses and well over 40,000 views. Compared to this terrorist atrocity with nearly 40 dead - 21 responses and a little under 450 views.

I can only conclude that either the American media is letting their public down badly by not reporting or talking about it very much. Or else that, for whatever reason, most Americans just aren't all that interested. I find this curious and am slightly baffled, because muslim fanatic nutters running riot has always been big news over there ever since 9/11. Maybe it's just been crowded out by other news.

Just my opinion, but that guy on the beach was asking for people's nationalities to kill Americans. No Americans, Britons next.
I'm happy many Americans knows not to go to these countries, but I also think American media needs to inform the rest, that don't know, please don't go here.
JMO. Stay safe, everyone, now more so than ever. imo

Apologies. Have heard from my work colleague, and it is with some relief that I realise I got it wrong. He is actually in Egypt and not Tunisia.

The death toll is now up to 37, with Brits, Irish, Germans, and Belgians known to be among the dead

Agree. The mods need to change the number of casualties on the thread title. Especially since it is double the fatalities.

Btw He was a terrorist. They showed his pic with the 2 big guns and sitting the way all terrorist take those jihad pics.

Its hard to run in sand btw. So those people must have felt like they were in quick sand while running.

Very scary in deed.

Just my opinion, but that guy on the beach was asking for people's nationalities to kill Americans. No Americans, Britons next.
I'm happy many Americans knows not to go to these countries, but I also think American media needs to inform the rest, that don't know, please don't go here.
JMO. Stay safe, everyone, now more so than ever. imo

Thing is, these nutjobs can travel around. They don't need to restrict themselves to muslim countries.

I fear that at some point, a couple of these nutters are going to show up outside the USA but somewhere where lots of Americans take vacations - eg some beach in Mexico or something like that. And then there will be heart-rending scenes and tales of American dead.

I hope it doesn't happen. I hope no one anywhere ever again has to suffer the loss of loved ones in such attacks. But I fear there will be many more attacks like this, and some of them will specifically target Americans. These guys hate America to the depths of their black souls.

I do suspect that Britons were always the main intended target here, though. Tunisia has never been a big holiday destination for American tourists so there just weren't that many Americans there. Those carrying out the attacks no doubt did some research, and with few Americans around, decided to target somewhere with lots of Brits. Because Britain's own past involvement in the Middle East, combined with our siding with America in support for Israel and in invading Iraq and Afghanistan means that we are hated by these nutters almost as much as Americans are.

At least 15 Brits died and although not all names have been officially released, some families of victims have been informed and have released their names. It has been very sad to see kids tweeting pleas for help to find missing parents for hours and then discovering they have been killed.

Many more victims are thought to be British.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-33302750

This Tunisian builder saw 23-year-old gunman Seifeddine Rezgui walk down an alley and he threw a load of old roof tiles and bricks on his head, from the top of a high building, which floored him. Rezgui then got up and began firing wildly as he obviously didn't know where they'd come from, and that alerted police to where he was and they shot him.

The builder, Munsaf Mayyel, is a hero. He may well have saved other tourists' lives by what he did.

http://english.alarabiya.net/en/per...a-hero-for-hurling-bricks-at-ISIS-gunman.html

Just now:

[video=twitter;615087760127492096]https://twitter.com/downesr/status/615087760127492096[/video]

I guess because it happened in Tunisia people are kind of tuning out. I don't think they realize the utter horror and significance of it. There were three horrible terroristic tragedies all at once and it seems overwhelming to even think about sometimes...:sigh:

I know. And I've just checked out the legalisation of gay marriage thread - 671 responses and well over 40,000 views. Compared to this terrorist atrocity with nearly 40 dead - 21 responses and a little under 450 views.

I can only conclude that either the American media is letting their public down badly by not reporting or talking about it very much. Or else that, for whatever reason, most Americans just aren't all that interested. I find this curious and am slightly baffled, because muslim fanatic nutters running riot has always been big news over there ever since 9/11. Maybe it's just been crowded out by other news.

The view count of the gay marriage thread is not a fair comparison because this thread has been around for only a few days and the gay marriage thread is more than six years old. That thread was started in 2009 and has reported advances and developments in multiple countries over the years.

The first post about the recent Supreme Court decision is #644 and it has accumulated 43 posts since (including several from non-American posters).

There's usually a new thread about each new terrorist attack I think.

Tunisia Attack: Family Members Feared Dead

The first victims of the beach massacre are named, as it is confirmed at least 15 Britons are among the 38 dead.

Three generations of one family are feared to have been killed in the Tunisia beach massacre, it has emerged.

Joel Richards, 22, and his uncle Adrian Evans, 49, died together when Seifeddine Rezgui opened fire on sunbathing tourists.

The attack, which has claimed the lives of at least 15 Britons, has been described as "the most significant terror attack on the British people" since the 7 July bombings in 2005.

Joel's grandfather Patrick Evans, 78, is also feared dead, while his 16-year-old brother Owen survived the attack in Sousse.

I still can't believe how little interest there is on here regarding the situation!!!

I suppose, as someone mentioned upthread, as this is an American site but no American fatalities that there's little interest.

The future implications are enormous.

This is just so shocking, all the more so because I have realised the hotels involved were on the same beach as the one I stayed at years ago. I loved Tunisia and had considered returning this year. To think people were just enjoying the sun, relaxing on loungers, and this happened....absolutely sickening and heartbreaking.

As to why there is not much interest here, as a few have said it's because it isn't big news in the USA. Sad but true.

I hate the world sometimes :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme