GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is assuming all crimes (rape, murder, theft) committed by the same druggie. One druggie kills her and hides the body. Then flees the scene. Another sees the jacket and takes it. The news program that I listened to said her pants (jeans) were found several feet away from her body. (Maybe not even in the cave.) She was attacked. Puts up a fight. Loses jacket and jeans. Druggie smashes her head with a stone. Hides her body and flees. Someone else find the iPad on the grass. But no sign of her. Takes the iPad.

I haven't been in too many fist fights. But I'm having trouble understanding how you lose your pants in a fight.

Ill admit it if I end up being dead wrong but I just don't see the junkie theory at all.

Here's something I am confused about and maybe you guys can help me out if I've got it all wrong: SS was missing for about 2 weeks, correct? When her body was found, they said she had been deceased for a week, correct? Then they said she was killed at the site where she was found, correct? Where was she that week (alive) in between when she went missing and then was found dead? ,

Thanks!

Police believe she died on 21st. She was probably in the cave the whole time.

Yes. Can we all try to agree on two things:

- let's try to make sure we are addressing the post and not the person as nursebeeme reminded us. Because I'm pretty sure thought analysis is kind of the point of this forum.

- let's try to be a little less sensitive, and stop assuming that every time someone counters you it's a personal attack

Can we all try that? Pretty please with a cherry on top!

... And perhaps a little less condescending.

You may be right - I was scrolling way back and thought I saw one that was not one of the NY bridges. I can't locate it now so maybe I was mistaken.

However, she was definitely in DC but there are no pictures of the monuments, etc. There's much more to photograph here in DC than the inside ceiling of a metro (subway) stop. So if she went to SF (which now it looks like she may not have), then I wouldn't necessarily expect to see lots of pics of the area.

On another note, I did notice when I just went back to search that she has lots of pictures of bridges and also a fair number (not as many) of archways and doors. I do believe she may have gone to Galata Bridge and on to Topatki and that area to take pictures of the walls/archways. Whether she met up with someone she knew, we still don't know... :(

The route she was seen on, would not have taken her to Topkapi though. She would have had to go around to get there. there is also an admission fee to topkapi that is steeper then most other places.

I wasnt being defensive not in the least. Of course everyone has their own opinion.

The conversation just made me think that if roles were reveresed and it was the male leaving, perception would be different.

It was just an observation, more then anything.

Yeah I agree w that, if she were a man there would be a different perception. If you read commens on other sites (like comments to news articles) the comments about SS are just horrible and unjustifiable. They would not be saying such comments if she were a man.

I also think perception might have been different if this was business v personal

I think some of the issues here have to w so many posters from different countries and sometimes the subtlies of the English language may mean different things to people of different countries.

Nothing to do with Sarai's case, but reading everyones valuable thoughts and opinions redarding Sarai's passing i just thought i'd post a wonderful quote by a Buddha...

“You should respect each other and refrain from disputes; you should not, like water and oil, repel each other, but should, like milk and water, mingle together.“

Police believe she died on 21st. She was probably in the cave the whole time.

I have a grisly question. If she were dead for 10 days how could the husband have identified her? Wouldn't she be decomposed? How fast would it take to decompose?

How could be have identified her then?

Yeah I agree w that, if she were a man there would be a different perception. If you read commens on other sites (like comments to news articles) the comments about SS are just horrible and unjustifiable. They would not be saying such comments if she were a man.

I also think perception might have been different if this was business v personal

I think some of the issues here have to w so many posters from different countries and sometimes the subtlies of the English language may mean different things to people of different countries.

As far as I'm concerned, if she intended to be a photographer, even part time at some point, this WAS a business trip AND a vital part of her education.

her husband was interviewed on the news just now, he's back in NY.

SS's viewing will be next Thursday.

Sorry but the following are things I wonder about. I'm curious if her viewing will be an open casket. With the trauma she sustained I wonder if they'll be able to present her as close to what she would normally look. The room where she was stored in that church in Turkey didn't look very well refrigerated. Did they embalm in Turkey probably not... IDK.

She left them with their father and their grandparents. It's not babysitting if they're your kids!
I don't know if her mother worked but it was reported her father was retired, and he was the one who was going to pick her up from the airport. Probably the one taking care of the kids if her mother worked. It's also been reported that he didn't want her to take the trip for safety reasons.

Nothing to do with Sarai's case, but reading everyones valuable thoughts and opinions redarding Sarai's passing i just thought i'd post a wonderful quote by a Buddha...

I like that, thanks for sharing.

Lets ALL keep that in mind and realize we can talk through something without taking offense to it. And that if we feel someone is being snarky or aggressive tell them you feel that way instead if snapping. Some stuff can just be a misunderstanding, and when we accuse people of things that they didn't mean it can be just as hurtful.

Changing the subject- while I'm now 90% convinced Taylan had nothing to do with the killing, its a coincidence that his lawyer made the statement right before the DNA results were leaked. Hmm

As for druggie theory, if he took her pack with iPad and laptop wouldn't cameras have recorded him fleeing the area. Secondly, if he left her jewelry because it was bloody, her jacket would be too. Not sure I buy that theory.

From the way that the lawyer spoke I got that he is giving the interview to clear up most of the speculations about Taylan. JMO

I'm not sure if camera's can catch him. I think they were saying cameras spot him while he is disappearing in the crowd.

What I need to keep reminding myself that camera recordings are usually not that clear, because I keep expecting something like a tv clear video and he might just be on the camera facing the other way for a millisecond.

--By being the oblivious dumb I am, I really can not sense the disagreement tone and puzzled by the snapping that was going on. I really liked the way our discussion were going on in the last few days and learned a lot while talking about the tragic event. I hope we can go back to our smart conversation. We are all different people from different backgrounds and of course we think differently thats the beauty we just need to remember that. We have gone a long way even though we are just a step ahead from where we started. We are just tired at the end of the day and this wacky information flow is not helping. We still learned a lot today and lets hope LE and us can make something out of it, I really don't want this to be a cold case.

Everything seems fine now but I am following from behind today.

I have a grisly question. If she were dead for 10 days how could the husband have identified her? Wouldn't she be decomposed? How fast would it take to decompose?

How could be have identified her then?

We wonder about similar things Yellow. It was mentioned in the news that the cold temps kept her somewhat preserved.

her husband was interviewed on the news just now, he's back in NY.

SS's viewing will be next Thursday.

Sorry but the following are things I wonder about. I'm curious if her viewing will be an open casket. With the trauma she sustained I wonder if they'll be able to present her as close to what she would normally look. The room where she was stored in that church in Turkey didn't look very well refrigerated. Did they embalm in Turkey probably not... IDK.

Kev,
I believe the picture of her in a body bag *gag* that I commented on upthread showed her in a refrigerated crypt. That being said, I doubt it will be open casket due to both the time before she was found, the time in transit and the injuries she suffered.

Great points. I believe it was ThinkHard who said you can fly round trip to Turkey this time of year for $393.00, and someone else (maybe the same person) said the Hostel wouldn't have cost more than $100-$200 total. In addition, there's spending money, food and the trip to Amsterdam and Munich to factor in. I think compared to some vacations, this one falls on the less expensive side of average, but for a family who is already on a tight budget, she'd have to save probably at least a thousand bucks in two months' time.

I also know she was a college student. I know it's not totally kosher, but I've known students who receive financial aid checks above and beyond the total cost of tuition. They put those checks to use on other things- vacations, other financial obligations, that sort of thing. Maybe she paid for part of the trip that way?

As for getting the time off from work, that would be another challenge. I work in Human Resources and can tell you that generally speaking, employees that are hourly and part-time are not give standard vacation time. That doesn't mean they can't take a day off- it just means that any time taken off work would be taken without pay. Being a new employee, I'm surprised she was able to convince her boss to give her the time off, but sometimes employees will negotiate that sort of thing prior to their start date. In other words, they'll take the job offer, but will say, "I have a trip planned to Turkey in January. I'll be gone three weeks, is that ok?"

OR- maybe she got this job for this specific reason, and was putting her entire paycheck aside for the trip. If she did it that way, she could probably save up enough money within 2-3 months, I'd imagine.

Thanks a lot for detailed answer:)

It just seems she decided to go away and did it pretty "quickly". I mean I still don't get how her friend could back out the last minute, you have to pay your flight in advance. I doubt you can get the ticket refunded, usually cheap flights don't have such options. At least this is my experience with the airlines I used.
I would think that for a her first big trip outside of the US, she would have planned it a bit more carefully.

But hey I guess not everyone is like me, I like to be VERY well prepared (both financially and about the place) especially when I travel alone.

Some more thoughts:

Since DNA has ruled out Playboy Tarkan/Taylan, presumably the other IG members as well as the landlord, hostel guy, card-carrying sleazy tour guide and friends, probably some of the regular "homeless" that camp out by the walls. Could it be possible that the killer or killers were not actually living there but came there to do whatever and weren't know by the rest of the local homeless.

I'd think the Turkish police probably know most of the regular druggies and homeless that camp out there due to disturbances, complaints, etc. So it's probably not a long-time homeless.

As for why the FBI hasn't made statements, they are in Turkey helping in an advisory capacity. Usually in these cases they let local LE take the lead as not to step on any toes.

Kev,
I believe the picture of her in a body bag *gag* that I commented on upthread showed her in a refrigerated crypt. That being said, I doubt it will be open casket due to both the time before she was found, the time in transit and the injuries she suffered.

Thank you. :(

As far as I'm concerned, if she intended to be a photographer, even part time at some point, this WAS a business trip AND a vital part of her education.

The sad thing is, this case will be used by God-only-knows how many people as a cautionary tale about women travelling abroad alone. The stigma was already there, but in the minds of some, this only solidifies their fears.

The sad thing is, this case will be used by God-only-knows how many people as a cautionary tale about women travelling abroad alone. The stigma was already there, but in the minds of some, this only solidifies their fears.

Amen, Cmac2! No one tell my mom about this, ok? I already get enough static about my solo photography excursions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487