GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yashim, I follow French press pretty closely, and like our press here in the USA, it doesn't focus much on Turkey unless there's a huge blowout of some kind. I don't think of that as hypocrisy, just pretty normal. France and Turkey aren't exactly "close." I thought it was "generous" of them to mention the Armenian women issue, actually, not something the Turks are exactly comfortable with, and not something Turkey cares to share with the rest of the world. Same with the Kurds. The SS case was "big," so everyone is following it, though why Amsterdam and Munich aren't, I cannot figure out.

Looks pretty darn "charming" to me...heheh. :blushing:

I asked this earlier...but still am not clear.

Who the heck is this guy???????

I read the Daily Mail UK often. The first time I saw these pictures they were on the Daily Mail saying they were Taylan K, the last person to have talked to SS. Shortly after, (15 minutes?) I checked the article again, and they have the new (better looking, imho ;) guy's pictures inserted in the exact same article with the pictures of this guy removed. Daily Mail has a habit of ADDING pictures (until the article gets crazy long), but I have never seen them delete and REPLACE photos....especially considering there is only one single picture now.

As of now Daily Mail still has the good looking guy, and I have never seen them use the pictures of the above guy again in any article.

Maybe I'm just confused? BUT WHO THE HECK IS THIS DUDE???? LOL.

Hello, all. I am brand new to this forum and just figuring my way around, though I have followed all three threads avidly for weeks now. Seems like a good crowd here, and glad to make your acquaintances!

I speak/read a few languages (not Turkish) and read a lot of foreign press accounts, especially French ones, and just wanted to mention that yesterday I found a French news article mentioning that three Armenian women had been attacked (not sure if killed, but attacked) in the same area Sarai went missing, in recent weeks. The French press was going on about how Turkey wouldn't necessarily consider three Armenian women gone missing being a big deal (internal politics), but a murdered American woman could seriously harm the Turkish tourism industry, not to mention Turkish-American relations. I have no idea, really, though I live in Europe part-time, and have traveled there extensively (though not much to Turkey), whether I place any credence on the French point of view, but I will say that it was the first mention I'd heard of three other recent attacks in the very same area.

I will try to find a link and post it, in case any of you speak French (or I can translate it), but as I said I am new as f a half-hour ago to this forum and floundering a bit with the technicalities.

I believe those women were attacked in a very different part of Istanbul. And in that case it was determined to be a hate crime.

I just wanted to say, that the daily mail posted a picture of her apartment building and i take back what i said before. It is a very nice building in a nice neighborhood. I used to live in that area (silver lake) and even looked at an apt in that building. I had a friend who lived there (single female) and loved it. A 2 bedroom was about 1400/month a few years ago. Some have nyc views and are more $$. The building overlooks a park and golf course directly across the street, and is only about a 10 min bus ride to the ferry to manhattan. There is a doorman, and a pool i believe. There is private parking if you pay extra. Its not trump tower but is certainly not a bad place to live at all. Maybe she grew up in stapleton and it is her parents who still live there. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

<Modsnip>

<Modsnip> The three threads are overwhelming, containing thousands of posts (grand total) and looking for the answer to one specific question can be difficult, if not almost completely impossible. Much easier to simply ask the question. Most of us don't mind answering. It isn't as if we have any real info to toss around instead.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

,Modsnip>.

<Modsnip>

I know in the past, mods have posted to remind people that it's okay for someone to jump in and ask old questions or bring up an old article that may not be correct anymore. It's embarrassing to post something old or realize you've asked a question that was answered two threads ago. I think it's important to try to respond to those questions with patience or to gently remind someone that the 'news' they are posting is old.

Being welcoming of newcomers or others who may be behind is kind of necessary --- especially the way threads move so fast. And not everyone has the time to sit here as much as some of us do and to absorb all the facts.

:websleuther:

ETA --- I got behind on another thread. I finally quit following it b/c no one would answer my questions after I dropped away for awhile (to come over here...). :(

Regarding the other incidents at that spot...we keep assuming those were random acts, but the reports only mention attacks happened there, we still don't know if something brought those other women to that spot, or any other details, we don't know anything about who the attackers were in those cases, someone they met there, or a random homeless man....I'm just pointing out we can't assume to much about these attacks, because what we know about them is limited.

Found out about the "rape blackspot" and other victims reading that long daily mail article yesterday. What immediately struck me was that the other victims were raped, but not murdered. Evidence shows that SS's body was dumped there, probably bkuz the area has a reputation in the eyes of the prep/s, but authorities seem to be on the fence as to whether the IG photographer was actually killed where she was found. IMHO, thats what makes the incidents unrelated.

<Modsnip> The three threads are overwhelming, containing thousands of posts (grand total) and looking for the answer to one specific question can be difficult, if not almost completely impossible. Much easier to simply ask the question. Most of us don't mind answering. It isn't as if we have any real info to toss around instead.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

I know you guys are right. It's just sometimes I can't help feeling a little frustrated. I guess that's cause I'm human and we are imperfect.

The attacks on Armenian Christians is interesting. While I put it on the list pretty far down, I do wonder if SS wore a cross. I know that around here, and I am not that far from NYC, it is quite common among Puerto Ricans to wear religious jewelry, but my experience is largely with Catholic Puerto Ricans. (Actually, around here, many active Christians wear religious jewelry, especially Catholics.) Obviously, not all do, but I do wonder what her necklace was. Could she have been mistaken for Armenian? Unlikely, but something to consider. (And yes, I know she was found with her jewelry on, making it less likely, unless the Armenian attacks were hate crimes disguised as robberies.)

Anyone familiar w the area have any additional insight into the timeline Daily News posted last night? Anything additional it added or surprising or was that route what everyone already suspected?

I wonder if there is CCTV that shows the railroad tracks.

Her photography is about 1: Railroad tracks, and 2: Graffitti. Both of which are accessed along those train track lines.

I know this has been mentioned before but I wonder if she was really the victim of train or auto trauma. Photographers are often intent on their subject and not paying attention to what is going on around them. Being sideswiped by a train could give such a nasty head wound, although I might have thought the broken fingers would have been on the same side as the head wound.

Broken fingernails might be more common with self-defense wounds than broken fingers. Are we sure the translation is correct?

All things being equal, most ppl, even down on their luck druggies, will rush to assist an accident victim or at least call for help. We know that SS disappeared in broad daylight. In broad daylight in a major metro area, there would be some ppl/witnesses milling around the tracks. Whatever happened to her, somebody took her off the map, out of view. The police aren't on the fence about how she died, she was murdered. Only things left to figure are by who and why.

Well, it has been a week since body was found, DNA of all likely immediate suspects is back and shows it is none of those...I suspect that either we get a big break this week or else it goes cold...

I wonder how Turkish media is making it out to be... Are they making it out there is some killer on the loose killing women in broad daylight in downtown Istanbul, ready to pounce again? It does not seem like it, it seems like media is not making it seem like there is a killer on the loose, ready to strike again. It makes it seem they are making it specific to her...like she was murdered for a reason..

It contrasts for instance w the way CO LE treated the Jessica Ridgeway case where they portrayed it as an immediate threat to children and community....

LE seem to be acting like it is not random..,

The attacks on Armenian Christians is interesting. While I put it on the list pretty far down, I do wonder if SS wore a cross. I know that around here, and I am not that far from NYC, it is quite common among Puerto Ricans to wear religious jewelry, but my experience is largely with Catholic Puerto Ricans. (Actually, around here, many active Christians wear religious jewelry, especially Catholics.) Obviously, not all do, but I do wonder what her necklace was. Could she have been mistaken for Armenian? Unlikely, but something to consider. (And yes, I know she was found with her jewelry on, making it less likely, unless the Armenian attacks were hate crimes disguised as robberies.)

A brutal murder would fit the hate crime scenario. However, in a diverse place like Istanbul, in the absence of distinct skin color, I would think you'd have to hear a person talk, their accent, to know their origin. Being latina, it wouldn't surprise me if her chain was religious. For ppl of modest means who are religious, sometimes religious jewelry is the only type they own. I know Muslim women that only have one gold chain, with a small religious pendant. I think this could account for the reason the jewelry was left on her, don't know if it was the reason for her demise.

A brutal murder would fit the hate crime scenario. However, in a diverse place like Istanbul, in the absence of distinct skin color, I would think you'd have to hear a person talk, their accent, to know their origin. Being latina, it wouldn't surprise me if her chain was religious. For ppl of modest means who are religious, sometimes religious jewelry is the only type they own. I know Muslim women that only have one gold chain, with a small religious pendant. I think this could account for the reason the jewelry was left on her, don,t know if it was the reason for her demise.

That's why I asked about her necklace. If it was exposed, it would be a total giveaway that she was Christian and given that most of the Christians in Turkey are Catholic, someone might assume she was Catholic.

(I am using the term Catholic here to include all Catholic and Orthodox rites as I was brought up calling them "Greek Catholic" or "Orthodox Catholic", etc)

That's why I asked about her necklace. If it was exposed, it would be a total giveaway that she was Christian and given that most of the Christians in Turkey are Catholic, someone might assume she was Catholic.

(I am using the term Catholic here to include all Catholic and Orthodox rites as I was brought up calling them "Greek Catholic" or "Orthodox Catholic", etc)
Idk, if we're to assume that on the day she disappeared, she pretty much looked as she did in images of her during her travels (cap, jacket zipped up, sparce travel look; assume its somewhat chilly in IST about now) I can't imagine jewelry was exposed or big enough to be seen by a passer-by.

An IP is either assigned to an account/device (static) or randomly assigned and changes every so often (dynamic). Answer is yes, but it's not the best method. Every device has a unique hardware info / name of device or the internal network hardware. This can be identified as long as you know what networks were used, then the IPs and data traffic can be monitored and/or found in archive as imprinted on the service providers servers. Then you can cull this traffic to ascertain services/apps used..then sessions which would have account info.

Nice! thanks for saving me the time to answer. The number we need is SS's iPad's MAC address. From there LE would need to know which ISP SS used to access the internet at a given time (AirBNB's ISP), then we'd have a public IP address to back check sites she may have visited using her iPad's MAC address...kind of working in reverse in order to track down what sites she visited. Totally possible IF we had her MAC address. I wonder is SS's family still have the box for her iPad, they usually have the MAC address on a sticker. Then again Apple is too sexy to clutter their pretty white boxes with important info.

Nice! thanks for saving me the time to answer. The number we need is SS's iPad's MAC address. From there LE would need to know which ISP SS's used to access the internet at a given time (AirBNB's ISP), then we'd have an IP address to back check sites she may have visited using her iPad's MAC address...kind of working in reverse in order to track down what sites she visited. Totally possible IF we had her MAC address. I wonder is SS's family still have the box for her iPad, they usually have the MAC address on a sticker. Then again Apple is too sexy to clutter their pretty white boxes with important info.

I'm pretty sure, especially if she bought it at from apple, they can look up the serial number.

I'm pretty sure, especially if she bought it at from apple, they can look up the serial number.

If they had the serial number and not the box Apple would be able to give them the MAC address for her iPad using the serial #

If they had the serial number and not the box Apple would be able to give them the MAC address for her iPad using the serial #

I'm pretty sure that the only things bigger than my FBI file are my files kept by Disney and Apple. I'll see if I can get a list of ways someone can get the number of an Apple device with someone who works for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487