GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So she did something very aberrant on Jan 21 when she went out without her green bag?

Was she going to buy another bag? (I've done that in foreign countries when I've indulged in souveniers)

Did the contents of her green bag when found have any souveniers for the kids or for her husband, parents, siblings, non-flying friend?

Evidently the street it's on has lots of immigrants (especially African) and is reported to be a place where there is drug dealing and prostitution. ***DING DING*** Ringing any bells?

Guilt by association much?

So now anyone who stays in an apartment in a poor, black neighborhood and travels light is a drug dealer or drug mule.

That would make basically every person in my Brooklyn neighborhood a drug dealer or drug mule.

Life doesn't work that way.

We're on here to explore possible theories of what happened to SS; you're in an awful rush to insist that she's a drug mule and you're using flimsy racist association and illogical assertions to do it.

ToutCa

Packing too light is a crime I'll never be accused of!

I just point it out as unusual. Most inexperienced travelers overpack.

More timeline questions:

1. Which one is it?
Isn't Serkeci in the opposite direction of where she was found from Sarayburnu?
Where is the Serkeci camera?

Sirkeci is not in the opposite direction.

Eminönü <----- Galata Bridge <---- Karaköy

&#8595;

Sirkeci

&#8595;

Sarayburnu

Where is Sirkeci camera?

I don't know the exact spot.

2. Where is the mall where she is photographed eating?

I believe the mall that she ate at is Demirören Mall, the least interesting of all places. There's link below:
http://www.demirorenistiklal.com/

Further Re: The Green Bag

It's a very distinctive bag with the "My Bag" embroidery pattern, the handles, and those multiple strips on the pockets. I haven't been able to find anything in Google or anywhere else that resembles that bag nor figure out it's maker.

She seems absolutely attached to it when out photographing. I have yet to see a photo of her outdoors without it.

Yet it is found in her apartment by LE, not associated with the body. It also looks stuffed, like it was packed. This has to imply that she went back to the apartment and left it there.

Could there have been a public transportation she took back to the apt that wouldn't be caught on CCTV?

Is this the ONLY bag she took for a 21-day trip to Europe in winter? It's generous, but come on- one top, one pair of shoes, 2 pair socks, and some undies. Not even really enough space for an extra pair of pants or a sweater or room for souveniers or cosmetics.

Really really annoyed at LE for having a potential piece of evidence like this visible, without being protected from potential contamination, sitting in the back window of a police car. Just pathetic

There is a video (search youtube) of her husband removing 2 bags from the police station in Istanbul. 2 bags and with another smaller bag on top - search around the internet for videos and photos - pictures always tell stories and are worth many words and they don't lie.

<modsnip>
I'm just asking for validation or denial of things that are being reported in the media. There is a lot of press out there about how horrible the neighborhood was, and I was trying to establish why that was being reported so, as there are plenty of airBnB's in that area, lots of shops and restaurants, and doesn't seem like a seedy place from the face of it.

I don't believe at all that drugs are involved in this. I watch Locked Up Abroad. I know what gullible drug mules do ( this is sarcasm, btw)

Have we established what happened to the high heels?

ToutCa

Packing too light is a crime I'll never be accused of!

I just point it out as unusual. Most inexperienced travelers overpack.

What difference would it make if she under-packed or over-packed?

Drug couriers try to act as usual as possible.

If you keep saying she acted unusually, welp, there goes your evidence of drug courier activity.

Are you saying that drug couriers make a habit of not packing enough woolen winter gear?

Maybe the driver was the Swiss consul's wife.

I saw someone post about that, was it Yashim or Lavy? Either way, I am fairly certain that diplomats have diplomatic immunity even in cases of murder. I think they are just extradited to their own country where they may or may not face punishment. If it is a corrupt Gov't, I am sure nothing would happen.

I do international mailings regularly and if it's a package of a certain size you must declare what's in it for customs. I get that people can lie, but it really doesn't make much sense to send drugs from the US to Turkey.

They do behind the scenes checking of packages in post offices, too. It's not so simple to just send drugs, which is why a courier is used.

I'm not sure why it's so unfathomable, but a lot of drugs originate from more lawless regions (not saying Turkey is among them, but there are some close by) and places where drugs are cheap. There's a demand for drugs in areas where they aren't as readily produced or where the strains aren't as potent. That's to say if any trafficking was happening that this was drugs, which I'm still not convinced of.

The package could contain a document, addresses, or other things that weren't meant to be found or traced by electronics or emails. I doubt it was something serious, because professionals would likely use the email draft system that is common among spies and those who don't want a paper or document trail. They write a draft email, the recipient gets it and responds through drafts deleting as they go.

Honestly? I think she just forgot something at home that she wanted to bring and her family sent it on to her - like a phone charger or something like that.

Folks, folks, folks... have you forgotten what I told you a few pages ago about snark and personalizing posts? Please address the Post and NOT THE POSTER.

Honestly? I think she just forgot something at home that she wanted to bring and her family sent it on to her - like a phone charger or something like that.

Would her phone charger from the States work in Turkey?

ETA: Duh. She just needs one of those converter thingies.

This is completely false, you do not need to register a pay as you go phone in turkey. You do not need a passport to buy a phone in turkey. I was just there this past summer. I know from experience.

I apologise if I've given false information. I was going on experience of the last 3 phones my turkish husband has bought in Turkey and the last 2 I have bought there (the last being purchased August 2012, although, admittedly in a different part of the country).

Respectfully snipped, I think this is a little far fetched. I doubt that a disorganized thief such as this would have an eye trained well enough to assess the metallurgic make up of her jewelry after such a frenzied attack. (Yes, I assessed it from a photograph, but I have a fair amount of training in the matter, and frankly, I'm not positive I am correct in what I assessed.)

I think such a thief would have taken it all and sorted it out later. The attacker wanted the information on the phone and ipad, in my opinion. The jacket could have contained DNA from the killer.

Please note: Real gold CAN appear that yellow, but because of the malleability of gold that pure, it wouldn't be practical for such a ring design. If a disorganized killing thief knows that much about metals, his/her talents are wasted on the streets.

Yeah, but neither of us are the killer. If it is a fairly youthful killer, maybe they value electronics above all else, and maybe the jeans and jacket had blood on them, and the jewerly was just an after thought because it's a guy and they just really don't care for it. We really have no idea why this person did anything they did. They seem very unprofessional overall, as if it was their first time or very unintended to commit murder.

I saw someone post about that, was it Yashim or Lavy? Either way, I am fairly certain that diplomats have diplomatic immunity even in cases of murder. I think they are just extradited to their own country where they may or may not face punishment. If it is a corrupt Gov't, I am sure nothing would happen.

I believe I read last week that there will be no diplomatic immunity in her case

Folks, folks, folks... have you forgotten what I told you a few pages ago about snark and personalizing posts? Please address the Post and NOT THE POSTER.

I don't know why it's so hard to behave on this thread!!

Nursebeeme's right though. I just think most of us are suffering a loss of brain cells over this case. :slap:

Regarding the bags: I thought she packed a larger bag but carried a smaller bag with her. And the smaller bag is missing?

Regarding packing light: it is a concept with a cultish sort of following. My DH is one of those people who scours websites about how to pack light. People post pictures of the least amount they can take on a business trip or on vacation. The general idea is to carry everything on your person rather than lug suitcases around. The benefits?
-- no baggage checked
-- no baggage fees
-- no baggage claim lines
-- no lost luggage
-- easier to pack up and just - go!
-- with a suitcase full of clothes, you end up lugging around a suitcase full of dirty clothes by the time you come home

I'm not saying Sarai was that deep into the whole "pack lite" culture, but I do think she had probably read a little about how to pack and what to pack. I think she packed very wisely. I could go away for three weeks with just one or two changes of clothes and an extra pair of shoes myself. I've learned how due to my DH's obsession with it.

FYI here are some websites (my DH surfs there at night while I'm here on WS - romantic, huh? Maybe we need to hang out an airport):

- http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/pack-light.htm (for beginners)

DH's faves (more hardcore)
- http://www.onebag.com/
- http://packlite.tumblr.com/

Is it possible she had more than 1 bag? Maybe another, smaller purse? Otherwise, the media reports are false that her bag is missing.

I didn't get why no one ever discussed luggage back at her place.

I think its been discussed before.

She had 2 luggages and the green bag with the "my way" writing on it (the one she uses always) in the room.

I couldn't find it now but I've seen photos of all.

They reported she went to Amsterdam with only one bag.

http://www.sondakika.com/haber/haber-polis-kayip-amerikali-kadinin-kiraladigi-odada-4287335/
http://www.trtturk.com.tr/haber/fot...abdli-kadindan-9-gundur-haber-alinamiyor.html
http://www.haberturk.com/gundem/haber/816027-esrarengiz-takipci

Also remember reading that she had a smaller gray bag on her the day she was lost but no idea where I read that.

Rolandred -

A very sad and heartwrenching video of her husband, brother, and mother? leaving the police station being swarmed by photographers. Brings this all back to a human tragedy again.

The first shot has two black suitcase-like bags still with the checked baggage tags on them. It looks as though her husband has the larger wheelie bag with her green bag on top in his left hand and maybe the smaller black bag in his right hand.

I can't imagine how painful it must have been to have those with them in the hotel.

And this brings me to another thought:

The colored photo of her looking wistful makes her seem much taller and more exotic, more mature somehow.

The other shots of her as a photographer show a tiny, almost delicate, woman. She seems so much more vulnerable in those shots. I feel the sense of tragedy for her family, the sense of loss. I really feel for her husband who seems to be a hard-working decent and tolerant guy trying to keep his marriage together when it is all of a sudden thrown under the most glaring of unfiltered public scrutiny. My heart really goes out to him. I think he is completely innocent of any wrongdoing and I will refrain from making any comments on anything other than the evidence or forensics of this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18