Found Deceased TX - Alan White, 55, seen leaving LA Fitness, Dallas, 22 Oct 2020 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems this is now being worked by Special Investigations. I’m not sure what that means.

Endangered Missing Person – James Alan White

Updated on December 4, 2020, at 6:00 p.m.:

This case is now being worked by the Special Investigations Unit of the Dallas Police Department. Anyone with information regarding Mr. White’s whereabouts or information related to the case is being asked to contact Detective Eric Barnes #8854 at 214-283-4818or eric.barnes@dallascityhall.com. Please reference case #188623-2020.
I’m not sure how much we are allowed to sleuth about a detective and share. Maybe someone can enlighten me. But from what I’ve read he appears to be a fabulous detective an asset to this case. I’m glad he’s on it.

I’m not sure how much we are allowed to sleuth about a detective and share. Maybe someone can enlighten me. But from what I’ve read he appears to be a fabulous detective an asset to this case. I’m glad he’s on it.
Ha! I thought I recognized his face! Kendra Hatcher's case was a Dateline episode a few weeks ago! Outstanding news.

Having lived in the area off Lovers/Inwood for 23 years...doing remodels in the area Alan and Rusty live...and driving up and down Inwood and Lemmon regularly, I know that area very well and am quite familiar with the routes and back-streets take when getting around. I have to think almost anyone leaving LA Fitness headed to the 5300 block of Livingston Avenue is going to take Haskell to Lemmon going west and take that all the way to Inwood...take a right (north) a few short blocks to Livingston. There are other ways, but they just aren't as quick or direct...more turns, lights and stop signs. I don't see someone as regimented and organized as Alan (as reported by a friend who knows him well) taking a route home that took him out of his way to the RT on Inwood. It makes zero sense (to me anyway) to go to that RaceTrac, which is in a very sketchy area, just to fuel up. Any alternative route from LA Fitness to his home that took him by that RT would be FAR down on a list of options.

If, as his husband Rusty surmised, he went to the RaceTrac on Inwood because the more convenient one on Lemmon just east of Inwood, that Alan would have driven right by, had recently had a mugging...well...it makes sense to me he'd have gone to the Shell on Lemmon and Oak Lawn or Exxon on Lemmon and Douglas to get gas. Both are in safer, more convenient areas and he'd have passed right by them on the route most would assume he'd take. That Inwood RT is sketchy and there are always homeless sitting on the grass between the Church's and RaceTrack...certainly not where I'd go if I was looking for a safer option.

I'm in the same community as Alan and Rusty and have mutual friends. I do not know Alan, but have probably met them as my ex is very close with a couple that is best of friends with Alan and Rusty and socializes with them. Everyone I know in their circle are top-notch, professional, successful, settled and all around lovely people. I've heard nothing but good things about Alan. I have been told he is super regimented and organized and keeps a routine. I imagine this is why it was so alarming for Rusty when he wasn't home by 6:30 or so.

IF this was a car-jacking gone wrong...it's very possible the thief parked the car while things cooled down as it's not uncommon for stolen vehicles to get parked for a few days in the event there is a tracking device that could lead the police to the thief. They get parked in apartments and busy lots where they don't stand out and could get reported. After a few days...if the car is still there...the thief retrieves it. I was told last night by a mutual friend...the vehicle found was in a lot with a lot of similar cars...backed in very carefully in-between others. Definitely intentionally parked there so it wouldn't stand out, but that really doesn't tell us whether it was stolen or placed there by someone else.

Something I haven't seen anyone mention is the proximity of where the car was found in relation to the city dump off Simpson Stuart and 45. Looks to be about 1.5 miles away on the opposite side of I45. The first thing I thought when I heard where they found the car was that's the exit for the dump. Could explain the dirt, although the investigators have likely looked at that angle.

Seeing his mother's pain is heartbreaking...

Last edited:
Having lived in the area off Lovers/Inwood for 23 years...doing remodels in the area Alan and Rusty live...and driving up and down Inwood and Lemmon regularly, I know that area very well and am quite familiar with the routes and back-streets take when getting around. I have to think almost anyone leaving LA Fitness headed to the 5300 block of Livingston Avenue is going to take Haskell to Lemmon going west and take that all the way to Inwood...take a right (north) a few short blocks to Livingston. There are other ways, but they just aren't as quick or direct...more turns, lights and stop signs. I don't see someone as regimented and organized as Alan (as reported by a friend who knows him well) taking a route home that took him out of his way to the RT on Inwood. It makes zero sense (to me anyway) to go to that RaceTrac, which is in a very sketchy area, just to fuel up. Any alternative route from LA Fitness to his home that took him by that RT would be FAR down on a list of options.

If, as his husband Rusty surmised, he went to the RaceTrac on Inwood because the more convenient one on Lemmon just east of Inwood, that Alan would have driven right by, had recently had a mugging...well...it makes sense to me he'd have gone to the Shell on Lemmon and Oak Lawn or Exxon on Lemmon and Douglas to get gas. Both are in safer, more convenient areas and he'd have passed right by them on the route most would assume he'd take. That Inwood RT is sketchy and there are always homeless sitting on the grass between the Church's and RaceTrack...certainly not where I'd go if I was looking for a safer option.

Bear with me, as I even think this idea is pretty far-fetched.

Premium gas prices:
RaceTrac: $2.36/gallon
Exxon: $2.50/gallon
Shell: $2.64/gallon

RT is the cheapest premium gas, but only 14-28 cents/gallon difference. Given that he's into buying/selling/remodeling property, working at KPMG, and driving a Porche, I really doubt the price would matter that much. The only reasonable scenario I can think of is the axiom "old habits die hard" - could just automatically drive for the lowest price from earlier life experiences. I myself ALWAYS go to Costco, even though it's a 10-15 minute drive, since it's 10-15 cents cheaper than anywhere else in suburbia.

Users on the first thread were wondering about the choice of L.A Fitness - the one off Haskell is quite a distance from AW's home. Google Maps shows it would be 3.7 miles away and take about 10 minutes. There's literally an L.A Fitness a half-mile away on Mockingbird Lane. AW could have walked there and back. JMO. Is it possible that there's an instructor or particular class that would explain why he goes to that one?

1) I wondered same thing about price...just because he was well off, doesn't mean he doesn't like to save a buck. Still....just not thinking that's the case here.

2) As far as the gym choice...it could be anything...bad vibe at Mockingbird, older equipment and the main reason,...the Haskell gym may simply have a clientele he prefers to be around. <modsnip> He possibly joined the Haskell gym prior to moving to Livingston and didn't want to change gyms? Again...my friend said he's regimented and sticks with a routine. Gyms are personal and not always about location. Plus...the community sticks together and he likely knew a lot of guys there.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a Public Storage at the NE corner of Inwood and Lemmon. Nothing by the RaceTrac that comes to mind.

Oh wait, i just remembered...there is a storage facility...Love Field Storage...on the opposite side of Inwood just a bit south of the RaceTrac. Not sure hoow could I forget that considering I have a unit there!

Perhaps Detective Barnes was assigned this case for other reasons.

Eric Barnes – SEHIA.org
Det Barnes is currently assigned to the Texoma HIDTA/Texas Anti-Gang Center as a task force officer with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives-Violent Crimes Group (IV). He currently conducts state and federal investigations on criminal organizations who use firearms to engage in narcotics trafficking and violent criminal activity.

News Releases
Members of the YNB gang have committed several other assaults, robberies and murders in Dallas County.

Plano Police Detective Jonathan Hay investigated the case. Dallas Police Detectives Chris Walton and Eric Barnes assisted Hay with the criminal investigation.

Hmmm... the DPD website says —

Special Investigations Unit Investigates:
Police Shootings
Citizen fatalities or serious injuries while in Police custody
Cold Cases

Could this really be a “cold case” already?
Sadly this has seemed like a cold case for weeks. It’s disappointing to have that confirmed, but I hope the new detective can help.

Welcome @EmOinDallas and @Bostonholly thanks for the update and insights!

Does RaceTrac have a loyalty points system?

FWIW/ My highly regimented partner is meticulous about maximizing our grocery and gas points despite being very comfortable financially. Some people are also just brand loyal. As a child my parents always sought out Mobil /Exxon.

Last edited:
Oh wait, i just remembered...there is a storage facility...Love Field Storage...on the opposite side of Inwood just a bit south of the RaceTrac. Not sure hoow could I forget that considering I have a unit there!
Welcome to Ws EmOinDallas, thanks for the response!
Thinking that a storage unit might be a place where someone might be hidden, speculation, imo.

Welcome to WS EmOinDallas. Looking at a map, it seems there are rural areas on both roads where mud could be encountered? Do you see any spots more likely than others? Google Maps

Though I am not EMOinDallas....

The Trinity River bottoms run through the heart of Dallas for miles. The true bottoms are part of a flood plain and cannot be developed.

Most of the bottoms are ungentrified and feature dirt roads / racks, dumping areas, homeless encampments, over grown lots, woods, as well as badly maintained "nature areas" that are really just drinking or dumping spots. Gentrification, however, is creeping in and some parts of the bottoms now have well maintained hiking and biking trails.

As one poster mentioned, the bottoms have had a bad reputation for a long time. They are also huge when taken as a totality.

Going back to the Google Map, you can see some of the bottoms along the landfill. Though I am not familiar with this portion of the bottoms, they are probably uhmm..... "olde schoole" and non gentrified. Accordingly, they could well have dirt tracks, dumping sites, drinking / drug use spots etc.

There are also "olde school", non gentrified portions of the bottoms closer to where Alan disappeared. These would include areas off of Luna Road, Northwest Highway and Walnut Hill.

Last edited:
Does RaceTrac have a loyalty points system?

New here, but I have read all of the second thread, so I think I know some of what is and is not acceptable on WS.

I know some accounting firms will give discounts or stipends for certain expenses which are shared with the business. I know they do this with cell phones, giving x percent or $y off per month. I suspect that Alan's position as a higher up doing consulting could take him on site visits quite often, so maybe the employer provided gas discounts for him. If those discounts were in the form of a RaceTrac specific gift card or discount card, this could be the source of his brand loyalty to RaceTrac.

New here, but I have read all of the second thread, so I think I know some of what is and is not acceptable on WS.

I know some accounting firms will give discounts or stipends for certain expenses which are shared with the business. I know they do this with cell phones, giving x percent or $y off per month. I suspect that Alan's position as a higher up doing consulting could take him on site visits quite often, so maybe the employer provided gas discounts for him. If those discounts were in the form of a RaceTrac specific gift card or discount card, this could be the source of his brand loyalty to RaceTrac.
Welcome to Ws Crackly Leaf, thanks for the information!

Perhaps Detective Barnes was assigned this case for other reasons.

Eric Barnes – SEHIA.org
Det Barnes is currently assigned to the Texoma HIDTA/Texas Anti-Gang Center as a task force officer with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives-Violent Crimes Group (IV). He currently conducts state and federal investigations on criminal organizations who use firearms to engage in narcotics trafficking and violent criminal activity.

News Releases
Members of the YNB gang have committed several other assaults, robberies and murders in Dallas County.

Plano Police Detective Jonathan Hay investigated the case. Dallas Police Detectives Chris Walton and Eric Barnes assisted Hay with the criminal investigation.
Interesting. I do still think this was a random crime that probably happened right after Alan left the RT. I just haven’t seen ANYTHING that makes me think he left voluntarily/self harm or that he was the target for murder or kidnapping. He seems like just a normal, NICE guy who works hard, has a good relationship with family and friends and leads a good life. No one has anything but nice things to say about him that I have seen.
So perhaps this is a gang crime. It would fit I guess. It’s tragic whatever happened.

Interesting. I do still think this was a random crime that probably happened right after Alan left the RT. I just haven’t seen ANYTHING that makes me think he left voluntarily/self harm or that he was the target for murder or kidnapping. He seems like just a normal, NICE guy who works hard, has a good relationship with family and friends and leads a good life. No one has anything but nice things to say about him that I have seen.
So perhaps this is a gang crime. It would fit I guess. It’s tragic whatever happened.
Agree!! And I am so sad and frustrated that early surveillance around the locations of Alan and the dump site have not led to a viable lead so far - or at least not the lead we need (no arrest, no police bulletin with perpetrator face or name or vehicle).

As I said earlier in the thread, I think putting the friends and family on tv and keeping police off tv was about all the family could do to try to find a sympathetic witness, but it seems no one came out of the woodwork with the key info. There have been indications in msm that the PD was short handed/overloaded including in the missing persons Dept. Now we hope the gang beat detective can find an informant or connection to any evidence found in the car or in footage.

Senseless crime and violence!! How awful!!!
It’s so upsetting when this happens. Clearly Alan would have given up his car, his loved ones would have paid as much as they could to save his life. He had a full life and still had so much to look forward to. JMO :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkeybean