GUILTY TX - Alanna Gallagher, 6, Saginaw, 1 July 2013 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for putting together another great list, greenpalm. I snipped most of the names to initials. Even when full names appear in MSM, out of respect for the privacy and protection of third party bystanders, the rule of thumb on WS is to use initials.

:tyou:

Some of the names in my originall post were people we'd really been looking for and trying to find links for. I tried to post the "Crucial" or identifying thing about the person, there were a couple of things specifically we'd been trying to find to confirm.

Also, I'm quite sure I didn't get everyone, but it's going to be hard for you to tell who is missing without clicking all the links and reading the articles. I'm sorry the names couldn't stay. :-( that makes finding the links and settling the confusion quite a bit harder.

Sorry about the mess.

Some of the names in my originall post were people we'd really been looking for and trying to find links for. I tried to post the "Crucial" or identifying thing about the person, there were a couple of things specifically we'd been trying to find to confirm.

Also, I'm quite sure I didn't get everyone, but it's going to be hard for you to tell who is missing without clicking all the links and reading the articles. I'm sorry the names couldn't stay. :-( that makes finding the links and settling the confusion quite a bit harder.

Sorry about the mess.

Thank you so much for putting that together! You did a excellent job!

Hey, to those of you who are discouraged. I can't help but compare most murder cases I follow to my classmate's. It took them six months to make an arrest. It was one of the very earliest murders in which DNA was used. It's funny to read the article about it now, because it describes it as a "controversial new test." Which sounds nuts now, because DNA is a household word! Anyway, they used profiling, which is all you have until you get a DNA match. DNA is only useful if the perp is in the data base, or if you can use old fashioned detective work to show probable cause to a judge… then you can get a DNA sample from a suspect with a warrant. Otherwise, gallons of DNA are useless.

Anyway, they took 6 months, used old fashioned profiling, and finally arrested him, and then, sure enough, the DNA matched.

But there are plenty of unsolved cases out there with DNA alllll over them. Sometimes two unsolved ones match each other, but that still doesn't solve it, unless they can use detective work and profiling to figure out who it belongs to.

Someone already said Sommer Thompson took 5 months. Lets give them a chance to figure it out.

Also, whenever I think LE is being coy, I remember Falcon Heene the Balloon Boy in Colorado, the sherrif told the press over and over again that the parents weren't suspicious…. until he, caught them in plenty of lies, by gaining their trust, and then he arrested them. Not that I'm pointing to her parents. My point is, LE are capable of deliberately misleading the perp and the press and the public. If it suits their strategy.

Seems like gloves would minimize fingerprints, but all kinds of other things could be stuck to the tape.

Who has gloves lying around?

I have them for gardening and cold weather. But those would leave evidence.

I am thinking of medical type gloves as the only kind that would not give much information

Oh, I meant whoever wrote the article!

Oops!!!

Quote by Gitana1:

"There is a huge difference, IMO, (and as a long time former preschool teacher and daycare worker), between a child crying, throwing a fit/tantrum towards his or her parents when they are told they have to stop something fun they are doing and a child who sobs to neighbors when told it's time to go home. The ONLY time I have known children to act like that, something has been wrong at home. My opinion on that is strengthtened if that same, sobbing child covers her face with her hands and says "I really can;t say. I can't talk about it" when asked about her home life."

I absolutely agree that it raises questions when a child speaks like that about home. I just have to wonder about the backstory here. For all we know, the grandmother is a nosy gossip who asked Alanna all kinds of personal questions about her parents lifestyle. Maybe Alanna had been told by her parents that she doesn't have to answer personal questions if she isn't comfortable. Maybe she was told not to answer questions about her home life asked by this woman specifically. Alanna was at an age when she was probably realising that her family was different to her friends. I imagine that might be upsetting in and of itself, especially if she was a smart child as described.

The other thing that I wonder about in cases like these is how the media construes things. My guess is that reporters weren't asking neighbours for examples of when Alanna was happy with her parents or for signs that she was well cared for. They were probably asking questions like "Were there any signs that something was wrong at home?" Perfectly reasonable questions and I'm not saying the neighbours reports are wrong or that questions shouldn't be asked. I just think the media's agenda and the circumstances need to be taken into account. MOO.

Well, that's fair, I suppose.

A lot of people pay zero attention to the news. A lot. :(

Especially young people.

That's one of the things we've been hoping for weeks now. I think current speculation is that they probably have DNA results back but maybe no hits. (Unless the "zeroing in on suspect but no arrest yet" theory is true, but people have been saying that for a while and I am dubious they'd let a killer walk the streets once a DNA match was in place. Also keep in mind the family all provided DNA swabs willingly.)

But now nursebeeme has me thinking about some of these cases, like Somer Thomspson's. They found Somer and the perp's DNA at an empty house in the neighborhood and witnesses last saw Somer right in front of the perp's home. Still, she was murdered 10-19-09 but the creep wasn't arrested, despite all that evidence, until March 2010, about 4.5 months later.

So sometimes it just takes awhile to put all their ducks in a row. I do not think we can contemplate from the lack of an arrest that they have no suspect at all. I guess we will see.

:HHJP:

I have yet to own any type of roll of tape that doesn't get everything, lint, my hair, dog hair, more tape, dust ect...stuck to the SIDES of it...

I am thinking of medical type gloves as the only kind that would not give much information

We actually have a couple of boxes of medical gloves for various uses, namely my husband is a little weenie about handling raw chicken and I use them for slicing hot peppers so I don't the spicy on my skin. We had to have them after my husband had surgery and I had to change dressings.

Doing a quick search, some of the top uses for them are for auto mechanics using solvents and such, tattoo artists, medical professionals, housekeepers, and gardeners. So basically, anybody. :/

I have medical gloves because I give my husband injections. So, maybe diabetics, people with severe allergies or hormonal deficiencies. Or women who dye their hair at home, or who don't want to touch the cat box.. I can think of a lot of reasons to have gloves, unfortunately. :(

Think about what red means.

Think THRILL AND EXCITEMENT.

Hmmmmm...

Funny. When I think of red tape, I don't think of thrill and excitement; I think of the government. :scared:

I have red tape in my garage right now. It's used to hold plastic moisture barrier sheets together over fibreglass insulation.

Does red tape have any different qualities than black or some other color? I mean, why are there different colors? LG said that KG had several kinds, I'm thinking they have different uses. Who, specifically, would have red tape around?

On top of the chance that the perps DNA may not be in the system, from other cases that I've followed I thought it took a loooog....time to get forensics back on all the different items that are sent off to the lab.

I was looking for more info on time and came across this article that walks through the process of DNA testing. I thought it was interesting.

http://www.patc.com/weeklyarticles/dna-timeline.shtml
I have this page bookmarked, too. It's very informative. One has to keep in mind, however, that the timeframes don't take into consideration the backlog faced by crime labs all over the country.

Crime lab backlogs weigh down court system
February 2, 2013
By Tony Plohetski
American-Statesman Staff
A mounting backlog of samples awaiting testing at the Austin Police Department crime lab is causing unprecedented delays in the resolution of criminal cases, preventing some from going forward for at least six months and stressing an already bustling county judicial system, documents obtained by the American-Statesman show.

The number of cases awaiting testing has doubled in five years, and more than 1,100 samples in both felony and misdemeanor cases remain unanalyzed...

Other crime labs nationally also have faced a backlog challenge. For instance, the crime lab in Oakland, Calif., which has about half the population of Austin, had a backlog of 3,500 cases, according to recent published reports.
Not quite CSI: With an 8-month backlog in processing DNA, justice is drowning in the gene pool
BY STEPHANIE FARR
Posted: February 15, 2012
IN THE EIGHTmonths since armed robbers first burst into the TriStar Market, in Yeadon, store owner Patel Bharat has turned his counter and sandwich station into a $15,000 bulletproof glass cage.

Yet the State Police's Bureau of Forensic Services still hasn't processed three pieces of evidence - a gun, clothing and gloves - that were left behind at the scene and may hold the DNA clues to solving the case.
On the other hand, some labs have overcome the hurdles.

New FBI crime lab to ease backlog, speed investigations
ALBUQUERQUE — The Federal Bureau of Investigation office on Tuesday opened a new Albuquerque crime lab at The University of New Mexico campus that officials say will help streamline local investigations and give law-enforcement agencies in the state access to the "highest quality digital forensics services."

"We can do here in hours and days what used to take weeks and months," said Darrin Jones, a special FBI agent who oversaw the completion of the facility.
Just something to keep in mind when comparing cases from various jurisdictions. All things are not equal.

We actually have a couple of boxes of medical gloves for various uses, namely my husband is a little weenie about handling raw chicken and I use them for slicing hot peppers so I don't the spicy on my skin. We had to have them after my husband had surgery and I had to change dressings.

Doing a quick search, some of the top uses for them are for auto mechanics using solvents and such, tattoo artists, medical professionals, housekeepers, and gardeners. So basically, anybody. :/

I always have a huge box too! I use them for any messy job.... From cat litter , dyeing hair to mixing ground meat for burgers.

RSBM &RBBM from Greenpalm's excellent work:

D - Another neighbor said there were signs that something was not right at home. She was gardening when she heard the girl shouting for help. She was stuck in the tree in her front yard. Alanna told her, “Strangers are not to be in my yard. You are not allowed in my yard.” D described Alanna as a “spitfire.”
recalls the mother saying, “I bet she’s over at a neighbor’s home, she always does this.” http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro...naw-street.ece

Hmmmm...

Have you ever been around kids who are hyperactive? I mean REALLY hyperactive? My oldest son is extraordinarily intelligent. (Not just bragging he really is), the trouble all his life has been that HE GETS BORED INSTANTLY.

Let me tell you what, I use to lay in bed at night and say to God, "You MUST have known what you were doing when you gave him to me because anyone else would have shipped him somewhere by now!"

He was into EVERYTHING. Nonstop. Go, go, go, talk, talk, talk.

I thank God every day that I went on to have more children because they are 'normal'.

Even the best of us can have our patience tried with children like this. Just a thought.

(When my son was about 7 or so he would wait until he could see our elderly VERY NOSEY neighbor lady in her garden and then he would stand in the kitchen and holler, "ABUSE!! ABUSE!!").

His greatest life's self-entertainment is cuing in on what people's weakness are or something they are uncomfortable with and then using that in conversation to get a 'rise' out of them. He's amazing at it. I just wish he could make some MONEY at it.

When he was in the second grade the school was teaching them all this D.A.R.E not to do drugs thing? They didn't tell the kids that cigarettes weren't illegal drugs. I use to smoke back then. My son told EVERYONE in the school that his mother did drugs every day.

One day he had nothing for 'Show and Tell' so he told every one..."My mom farts and blames it on the cat." :facepalm: :facepalm:

Does red tape have any different qualities than black or some other color? I mean, why are there different colors? LG said that KG had several kinds, I'm thinking they have different uses. Who, specifically, would have red tape around?

Well, I'm not an expert on these matters but in the electrical tape realm and construction, they mean different things.

I happen to have a roll of Orange electric tape in my possession right now.

RSBM &RBBM from Greenpalm's excellent work:

D - Another neighbor said there were signs that something was not right at home. She was gardening when she heard the girl shouting for help. She was stuck in the tree in her front yard. Alanna told her, “Strangers are not to be in my yard. You are not allowed in my yard.” D described Alanna as a “spitfire.”
recalls the mother saying, “I bet she’s over at a neighbor’s home, she always does this.” http://www.dallasnews.com/news/metro...naw-street.ece

Hmmmm...

Have you ever been around kids who are hyperactive? I mean REALLY hyperactive? My oldest son is extraordinarily intelligent. (Not just bragging he really is), the trouble all his life has been that HE GETS BORED INSTANTLY.

Let me tell you what, I use to lay in bed at night and say to God, "You MUST have known what you were doing when you gave him to me because anyone else would have shipped him somewhere by now!"

He was into EVERYTHING. Nonstop. Go, go, go, talk, talk, talk.

I thank God every day that I went on to have more children because they are 'normal'.

Even the best of us can have our patience tried with children like this. Just a thought.

(When my son was about 7 or so he would wait until he could see our elderly VERY NOSY neighbor lady in her garden and then he would stand in the kitchen and holler, "ABUSE!! ABUSE!!").

When he was in the second grade the school was teaching them all this D.A.R.E not to do drugs thing? They didn't tell the kids that cigarettes weren't illegal drugs. I use to smoke back then. My son told EVERYONE in the school that his mother did drugs every day.

One day he had nothing for 'Show and Tell' so he told every one..."My mom farts and blames it on the cat." :facepalm: :facepalm:

Roflmao! Kids!

Mine heard the whole "never drink and drive" thing ... I always bring a beverage in the car.. Bottle of water... Maybe coffee... Maybe a soda...

So.... one fine day, I drive him to kindergarten and deliver him to his classroom where he announces to the entire class that I drink and drive...everyday!

He was angry at me because I wouldn't allow him to bring our dog to school. Apparently the commercials don't specify what you shouldn't be drinking while driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LVTRUCRIME