GUILTY TX - Alanna Gallagher, 6, Saginaw, 1 July 2013 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From College of American Pathologists, re: why forensic tox takes longer than clinical:

" Initial drug screens may be similar to those used in clinical toxicology, but in general the number of drugs tested for and the sophistication of the analytical instrumentation is much greater in forensic drug testing. Postmortem cases require instrumentation that can detect drugs at a much lower limit than those used for specimens from patients who are taken to the emergency department with a drug overdose.

While serum and urine are the primary patient specimens analyzed in clinical toxicology, postmortem specimens submitted by the forensic pathologist for qualitative and quantitative measurement of drugs and poisons routinely include heart blood, peripheral blood, liver, brain, kidney, bile, gastric contents, vitreous humor, and urine."

http://www.cap.org/apps/cap.portal?...sheets/toxicology_info.html&_pageLabel=cntvwr

Also (not trying to make an overwhelming argument as much as this further underscores the amount of time that otherwise "routine" lab tests - incl DNA for forensics - may require):

Why does toxicology testing take so long?
There are several reasons why forensic toxicology testing may take several weeks to complete. Some of these include:
•Range of toxicologic specimens
•Complexity of general unknown testing for the many illicit and therapeutic drugs as well as other toxic chemical agents
•Importance of the forensic approach to confirmation testing by alternate methods on all initial positive drug findings
•Challenge and interpretive value of quantification of drugs
•Exchange of information between the toxicologist and the forensic pathologist during the investigation
•Extensive record keeping that is needed for forensic defensibility of the toxicology studies underlying a final report

Also....

"Forensic testing requires a “chain of custody” so that for each step, from collection of the specimen to the final report, there is documentation of where the specimen was and who handled it......... Under certain circumstances, new information may become available and the toxicologist may have to test for an additional drug, or test another sample before the report is finalized."

Same CAP article: http://www.cap.org/apps/cap.portal?...sheets/toxicology_info.html&_pageLabel=cntvwr

I watched a 48 Hours type of show once, where a man was poisoned. They had to send all kinds of tissue and organ samples. It took many, many months. Something that really stuck out to me, was that poison can replicate many things that our body naturally does. He had some sort of congealing or crystallizing in his organs or tissues, that happens naturally do to calcium. They had to work a long time to figure out what the poison was. I wish I could remember what show it was, but it was so interesting.

I've been wondering if Alanna could be lured into a car or house, and I think we just can't know for certain. She did a good job with the neighbor (when she was up on the tree), but that neighbor wasn't a perp. Perps know how to get around defenses... "Can you help me find my lost puppy?" etc. There's also the possibility that the perp was someone that Alanna wouldn't consider a "stranger" and also the possibility that it was a forceful abduction (like Opal Jennings).

One story where the neighbor had to get into Alanna's yard doesn't even mean that Alanna would behave the same way if she wasn't at her yard.
She apparently didn't want that neighbor to get into her yard.
If she is at somebody else's house she might not even behave the same way. If she were going around looking for someone to play with, she could have gone into someone's yard, got invited into the house, got murdered. The perp, IMO, probably lives somewhere close.
I am guessing that because the body was disposed so close to home. If perp was driving by, why not take the body somewhere else?

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/07/22/5019169/saginaw-police-looking-for-drivers.html

Agents from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives are assisting in the arson investigation

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/0...police-looking-for-drivers.html#storylink=cpy

Does anybody else find this strange? Does ATF usually investigate small fires in driveways, even driveways where a murdered child lived?
Sometimes. They also investigate hate crimes.

In response to this problem, and by virtue of its statutory authority under Title XI of the Organized Crime Control Act of 1970, ATF initiates investigations and assists in state and local bomb and arson investigations. ATF’s experience in these investigations has shown that a cooperative effort between trained state and local officers and ATF results in more effective investigations.
http://www.atf.gov/training/explosives-arson/index.html

https://www.ncjrs.gov/spotlight/hate_crimes/summary.html

Forensic tox takes a long time mostly because it has to go to a forensic lab, there are fewer of those, and many have backlogs. Some states have state labs, others use commercial forensic labs, and with the FBI involved, that is a third possibility - samples could have been sent to the FBI's lab.
Since forensic tox is notoriously slow, there are all sorts of propaganda explanations, like the ones quoted above, but basically the reason is the lack of urgency compared to clinical lab tests, the fewer sites for testing to be done and the ENORMOUS amount of red tape involved.

All in my humble but informed opinion. IMHBIO.

Eta: I have also seen LE using the convenience of tox taking a long time to allow LE to pretend that the COD is not known in other cases. Really, the COD is known but the autopsy is not complete and signed off until ALL tests are returned. Since the autopsy report is not official until that happens it does not have to be released, and LE can avoid the whole issue of COD by claiming the autopsy is not complete.

Horse? Dead? Beating? Don't mean to.....but I'm also guessing that the recent number of overturned convictions (many in TX, a death penalty state) has "them" crossing T's and dotting I's (well, the lower cased ones - tee hee), even more:

http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/DNA_Exonerations_Nationwide.php

Also, in the world of pathology (forensics in particular) this situation has recently gained significant "industry" attention:

http://pathologyblawg.com/pathology...s-performs-autopsies-without-medical-license/

Additional backstory(ies) in the "Related Posts" section at the bottom.

Horse? Dead? Beating? Don't mean to.....but I'm also guessing that the recent number of overturned convictions (many in TX, a death penalty state) has "them" crossing T's and dotting I's (well, the lower cased ones - tee hee), even more:

http://www.innocenceproject.org/Content/DNA_Exonerations_Nationwide.php

Also, in the world of pathology (forensics in particular) this situation has recently gained significant "industry" attention:

http://pathologyblawg.com/pathology...s-performs-autopsies-without-medical-license/

Additional backstory(ies) in the "Related Posts" section at the bottom.

The exonerations here, were crimes from a time before reliable DNA testing and when eye witness testimony, was taken as fact. They aren't exonerating people that are being arrested and convicted NOW. They are past crimes, not current.

There are now no less than 3 PEOPLE, 3 DRIVERS, who are unaccounted for, they have not come forward, and talked to LE.

WHY???

How can there possibly be that many?

There are now no less than 3 PEOPLE, 3 DRIVERS, who are unaccounted for, they have not come forward, and talked to LE.

WHY???

A lot of people pay zero attention to the news. A lot. :(

WHY???

They might not follow the news. Also some people might not want to talk to police even if they had nothing to do with it.

Gloves could have been worn. The tape would hold hair and fibers if there were hair and fibers for it "hold". A brand new role of tape directly used from it's plastic packaging wouldn't have hair and fibers stuck to it. <MODSNIP>

Seems like gloves would minimize fingerprints, but all kinds of other things could be stuck to the tape.

The exonerations here, were crimes from a time before reliable DNA testing and when eye witness testimony, was taken as fact. They aren't exonerating people that are being arrested and convicted NOW. They are past crimes, not current.

I'll look for an MSM link, but I thought that there were some cases of "evidence tampering" in TX convictions that were through the 90's (OJ was first "big" DNA case in '95-ish?) until one particular lab tech was caught maybe about 5 years ago? Don't take my word for it......I'll see what I can find.....

In the meantime, though: why would that not make TPTB (the powers that be) even more careful? (i.e., results take longer)

I keep thinking about the belt that was secured around Alanna or secured around the tarp, and the subsequent evidence list where police were looking for men's belts size 38-44 at Alanna's home. 38-44 is an XL belt.

So, the man's belt that was used is apparently from a big guy with a big waist.

Surely a belt would contain lots & lots of DNA.

I'll look for an MSM link, but I thought that there were some cases of "evidence tampering" in TX convictions that were through the 90's (OJ was first "big" DNA case in '95-ish?) until one particular lab tech was caught maybe about 5 years ago? Don't take my word for it......I'll see what I can find.....

In the meantime, though: why would that not make TPTB (the powers that be) even more careful? (i.e., results take longer)

I can't imagine LE on whatever level is willing to take any chances or do anything that would screw up future prosecution of this case, so they're playing their cards close to the vest. Can't say I blame them, but it leaves the rest of us wondering. As long as it helps ensure justice for AG and her family.

Here's something, but it still seems I was thinking of another:

"Salvador, who could not be reached for comment, was suspended from his duties as a forensic scientist with DPS in February 2012, when the department discovered problems with his work, including the falsification of results in numerous cases involving marijuana, cocaine, heroine, pharmaceuticals and other controlled substances. Salvador had worked on 4,900 drug cases in 30 counties since he took the job in 2006, DPS spokesman Tom Vinger said.

After an internal investigation by DPS and the Texas Rangers, Salvador was brought before a Harris County grand jury in May 2012, which chose not to indict him. In August, he resigned from DPS."

http://www.texastribune.org/2013/03/27/after-drug-lab-scandal-court-reverses-convictions/

I keep thinking about the belt that was secured around Alanna or secured around the tarp, and the subsequent evidence list where police were looking for men's belts size 38-44 at Alanna's home. 38-44 is an XL belt.

So, the man's belt that was used is apparently from a big guy with a big waist.

Surely a belt would contain lots & lots of DNA.

That's one of the things we've been hoping for weeks now. I think current speculation is that they probably have DNA results back but maybe no hits. (Unless the "zeroing in on suspect but no arrest yet" theory is true, but people have been saying that for a while and I am dubious they'd let a killer walk the streets once a DNA match was in place. Also keep in mind the family all provided DNA swabs willingly.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr