GUILTY TX - Amanda 34 & Alyssa Broderick 17, Willie Simmons III 18, fatally shot, Austin, Apr 2021 arrest

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Austin Police Department
@Austin_Police

·
11m

Suspect in shooting incident at Great Hills Trail and Rain Creek Parkway was last seen wearing a gray hoodie, sunglasses, and a baseball cap. Please be aware of your surroundings and report sighting of this suspect to 9-1-1. -PIO80

Austin Police Department
@Austin_Police

·
13m

APD
@Chief_Chacon
will provide an updated briefing in relation to the ongoing incident at Great Hills Trails at 4:45pm. Media please meet at the staging location. - PIO8

Austin Police Department Retweeted

FBI SanAntonio
@FBISanAntonio

·
48m

@Austin_Police
attempting to locate Stephen Broderick, 41, who was allegedly involved in a #shooting today in Austin, Texas near Great Hills Trail and Rain Creek Parkway. Residents should shelter in place and report any sighting of Broderick to 911. #AustinShooting

Austin Police Department
@Austin_Police

·
29m

APD News Release: Suspect Photo_Incident at Great Hills Trail and Rain Creek Parkway - https://mailchi.mp/austintexas.gov/apd-news-release-suspect-photo_incident-at-great-hills-trail-and-rain-creek-parkway-4936062…

Austin Police Department
@Austin_Police

·
1h

Media: For your safety please remain at staging area location, if possible. The scene is still very active. -PIO80

Austin Police Department
@Austin_Police

·
1h

Austin Police Chief Chacon provided an on scene brief today, regarding the incident at Great Hills Trail and Rain Creek Parkway. Please see attached photo of the suspect, Stephen Broderick, 41 years of age, black male who is 5 feet and 7 inches tall.

3 adults killed, suspect still on the run in NW Austin, police say

The shooting is being deemed a “domestic incident” rather than an “active shooting situation,” according to police.

Three adults were killed in the incident Sunday afternoon. Their identities have not yet been released.

Officials said they believe the victims were all known to the suspect. Anyone who believes they have spotted the suspect is urged to not approach him, but to instead call 911.

Those assisting in the search efforts include Austin police, air support, K9 teams, several SWAT teams, 75 FBI agents, the US Marshals and officers from other police departments.

Austin police identify former sheriff's detective accused of rape as suspect behind massacre
"... The suspect was arrested last June and spent 16 days in jail for allegedly raping a 16-year-old girl. ..." (at her home in Elgin)

Austin shooting: Police still searching for fugitive with 3 dead, shelter in place lifted | FOX 5 San Diego

(Updated 2 minutes ago)
"... After more than five hours of shelter-in-place requirements, Austin police lifted that order for the northwest Austin area near the search around 4:40 p.m. SWAT units and helicopters were searching a heavily-wooded area nearby. ..."

This is a horrible situation. A decorated cop, who has somehow come unhinged over the past year, killed 3 in the street it seems.
3 people dead who somehow knew their shooter.
Manhunt continuing. He must be somewhere close, but he also has some inside knowledge about how such a search is undertaken and how to elude it.
This has everyone in the state uneasy.

Stephen Nicholas Broderick, age 41.
Article* this evening re suspect's background, reveals 2020 felony sexual assault arrest, when he was a Travis County sheriff's detective. Not sure where the assault occurred - Travis County or elsewhere.
I wonder if there was a pending court date of some significance coming up.
Anyone find court records yet? TiA.

* April 18, kxan.com the NBC TV affiliate in Austin Everything we know about manhunt suspect Stephen Nicholas Broderick

Dang, guess my search was too cursory when I posted. Sorry admins and mods, thanks for including me and doing the work you do.

I work in the area, so this was literally and figuratively close to home for me today. Hugs to other Northern Austinites who are freaked by this news.

This is a horrible situation. A decorated cop, who has somehow come unhinged over the past year, killed 3 in the street it seems.
Manhunt continuing. He must be somewhere close, but he also has some inside knowledge about how such a search is undertaken and how to elude it.

Coworkers and I were saying the same when we found out. We’ve had some shootings in the area before, but the gunmen were always caught pretty quickly. The reason this one is so creepy is because he knows the protocol, so it makes sense that he’s been this elusive so far.

I'm in Houston but this still scares me. He has nothing left to lose, he knows what police are going to be doing, and so far he's gotten away with it, which probably just further emboldens him. There's no telling what he could do. Praying he's caught soon and before he can cause more damage.

Found this, which matches up to the date of the crime.
Online Case Information
ETA - sorry that’s just the search page, but plug in his name and records come up for Travis County.
@CocoChanel Thanks for the link. Agreeing that the date matches up w reported date of muni warrant.
This Travis County website info shows June 5, 2028 muni. warrant and w last entry showing 'letter' in Nov.

So has crim case been at a standstill since then, or is some activity not reflected in the ct website?
Was an important date in court imminent, something prompting these tragic deaths?

ETA. Whoops, did not dig in far enough.
Looks like one case may be a divorce w last entry dated in late Mar, w case status "Pending."
If disposition of crim sexual assault case is shown, I missed. Anyone see it?

Last edited:
Stephen Nicholas Broderick, age 41.
Article* this evening re suspect's background, reveals 2020 felony sexual assault arrest, when he was a Travis County sheriff's detective. Not sure where the assault occurred - Travis County or elsewhere.
I wonder if there was a pending court date of some significance coming up.
Anyone find court records yet? TiA.

* April 18, kxan.com the NBC TV affiliate in Austin Everything we know about manhunt suspect Stephen Nicholas Broderick
Court is scheduled for May 6, 2021.
https://publiccourts.traviscountytx.gov/dsa/#/

LE arrested him three days after the assault was reported. Shortly afterwards his wife filed for divorce so she definitely believed the rape happened imo.

I wonder if those murdered were going to be witnesses or was one of them his wife that was divorcing him?

Either way it's such a tragedy. Thank goodness he didn't murder the child he is supposed to have raped.

Imo, he's extremely dangerous until caught.

Imo he will have rage against police offices as well since they quickly arrested him.

Do we know how he left the scene? On foot or in a vehicle? Tia!

Unless he's killed himself this is not going to probably end well when the police does find him.

The entire area is in a dangerous situation if he decides to take hostages.

Jmho

Last edited:
From the same link above...which is being updated as I write....

On Monday morning, Elgin ISD identified two of the victims as a current and former student in the following statement:

"We are heartbroken by the news of this senseless tragedy, and we extend our deepest condolences to the families of Willie Simmons III and Alyssa Broderick. Although Alyssa withdrew from Elgin ISD back in the fall, she was an Elgin ISD student from 2009 to October 2020. She was an excellent student and athlete, enrolled in our Early College High School program and played on our girls’ basketball team. Willie was a senior at Elgin High School. He was an exceptional young man and leader among his peers. Strong, both academically and athletically, he represented the very best of Elgin ISD. He was the Captain of our football team; a friend to everyone he met; and most recently, recruited to play football for the University of North Texas. The Elgin ISD community grieves the loss of these two young, promising souls. In response to this tragedy, the district will have counselors and trained professionals available via in person and/or virtually to assist students, staff, and families in this time of grief."

My guess is that these young people knew the victim if the rape. Elgin is not a big town. I am also guessing that when the news mentioned a child who has been located safe yesterday, it might have been the rape victim. What a terrible situation for this community and tragedy for all the families and friends.

IMHO, the effects of the Pandemic are unbelievably far-reaching, in ways we cannot even begin to measure yet.

Last edited:
LE arrested him three days after the assault was reported. Shortly afterwards his wife filed for divorce so she definitely believed the rape happened imo.

I wonder if those murdered were going to be witnesses or was one of them his wife that was divorcing him?

Either way it's such a tragedy. Thank goodness he didn't murder the child he is supposed to have raped.

Imo, he's extremely dangerous until caught.

Imo he will have rage against police offices as well since they quickly arrested him.

Do we know how he left the scene? On foot or in a vehicle? Tia!

Unless he's killed himself this is not going to probably end well when the police does find him.

The entire area is in a dangerous situation if he decides to take hostages.

Jmho
I think he did murder the assault victim from reports coming out now. This is so awful!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aurorabae
Back