Found Deceased TX - Athena Strand, 7, last seen at home, 200 block County Rd 3573, Paradise, 30 Nov 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Capital Murder:

Capital Murder is the most serious crime in the state of Texas. It is the state’s only offense punishable by death.

(2) the person intentionally commits the murder in the course of committing or attempting to commit kidnapping, burglary, robbery, aggravated sexual assault, arson, obstruction or retaliation, or terroristic threat under Section 22.07(a)(1), (3), (4), (5), or (6);

Wise County Sheriff Lane Akin confirmed that 7-year-old Athena Strand’s body was found Friday afternoon in Boyd, Texas. It's about six miles from the Cottondale Fire Department.

Akin says a tip led them to a FedEx driver, who is believed to have abducted Athena from her home Wednesday night. The driver confessed to kidnapping her. Athena likely died an hour after her disappearance, the sheriff said.

Authorities say the driver, 31-year-old Tanner Lynn Horner of Lake Worth, was an independent contractor. He is being held in the Wise County Jail and is charged with capital murder and aggravated kidnapping. He is being held on a $1.5 million bond.

FOX 4's Macy Jenkins was speaking to neighbors Friday afternoon off County Road 4599 when they were approached by law enforcement and told to move back immediately, but her body was not found there.

Sheriff Akin says information from interviews initially led them to that area. But it turns out that was incorrect as her body was recovered elsewhere.

Acting FBI Agent In Charge Jim Dwyer says it was digital evidence that led them to the FedEx driver, but he would not specify.

I want to know if he made it to the door/what size package? This argument SM and AS had could have nothing to do with anything, she could have answered the door seeing him come with no door bell notice and SM was cooking etc.( I watch too much Dateline) I really don't want to see this family place blame on each other, they need to lean on each other. IMO

How does a guy performing his job, with a baby at home to feed and bills to pay, see a 7yo child when, suddenly, he decides on the spur of the moment:

I'll just take her!

I don't understand the urge. Who looks at a 7yo little girl and thinks "she will die when I'm finished?" He wasn't thankful to have a job. He wasn't thankful to have a baby at home. He wasn't thankful to live and breathe as a free man. In a flash, his pitiful life is ruined.

Precious Althea - I am so very sorry. May eternal Peace and Love surround you.

How does a guy performing his job, with a baby at home to feed and bills to pay, see a 7yo child when, suddenly, he decides on the spur of the moment:

I'll just take her!

I don't understand the urge. Who looks at a 7yo little girl and thinks "she will die when I'm finished?" He wasn't thankful to have a job. He wasn't thankful to have a baby at home. He wasn't thankful to live and breathe as a free man. In a flash, his pitiful life is ruined.

I was curious about that too. How do you all of sudden see a child and instantly go nuts?

Her body was found southeast of Boyd. A large police presence was seen at a stretch of County Road 4599 Friday evening, one of three locations Horner had sent police to before Athena was found.

Why does it say she was allegedly abducted when he confessed he did take her?

I'll just take her!

Pedophiles. Adult men who get off on obliterating the innocence of children.
There's no greater evil, as far as I'm concerned.

<modsnip: opinion stated as fact>
I am outraged there is even a bond for this monster.
Honestly, jail is probably the safest place he can be right now. It's certainly the only place in this part of the state where anyone at all has any incentive to make sure he survives to be tried and sentenced.

Last edited by a moderator:
RIP, horrible.

Wow, I nailed that wrong. The thought of a random abduction, especially where she lived, seemed like such a remote possibility to me. I do have sleuther's remorse for judging her family harshly, and I did. Stepmother, runaway 7-year-old, an argument, and dad leaving town, put me in a whole other direction of suspicion. And at the end of the day, it was some 31-year-old random guy who ended this little girl's precious life. I am glad he confessed and hope justice will make him pay. Reminds me that "you just never know."

Last edited:

I'll just take her!

When you don't have evil in your heart it is hard to conceive what goes through the mind of someone who is capable of ending the life of a child. The urge to abducted and to harm a child is not rational. All those things that most people would considered blessings in life are rational thoughts. His urge was stronger than rational thought. The same questions could be asked to Coty Scott Taylor when he kidnapped and murder Faye Marie Swetlik. Or what possessed Aiden Fucci or Carson Peters-Berger. Even if we knew the why I am not sure if we could ever understand these possessions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14