TX - Austin Package Bombs

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been thinking about Billy the Bomber, a few thoughts:

He's a local and is familiar with the areas where he left the initial bombs. He is confident and is able to blend in to the community. I betcha no one will say they noticed anyone strange, he's able to get in and out without being noticed, he looks like he belongs or is just one of the many varied eccentrics that live in the city.

He's an older guy, he's patient and thoughtful, not impulsive.

I suspect people will say he was quiet and a bit of a loner but he was always nice.

Due to the complexity of the bombs he is either former military or possibly an engineer of some sort. He's intelligent, he knows how to hide his tracks. I bet he's been planning this for awhile, taking his time to gather materials. I'll bet it's learned that he has visited gun shows. Why those shows? You can get bomb making material there. Of course it isn't sold as bomb making material but it's pretty clear what the stuff is used for (I've been to a few shows and was shocked at what was available). He won't stop, at least not until he has gotten his message out or made his point.

Just some thoughts.

I'd add many people thought he had anger issues.

I found this article to be excellent:

Based on past bomber profiles, this suspect is likely a man, Burton said. The person also likely lives and works in Austin; has practiced making bombs or already had that skill; and spent time on reconnaissance before he set up the bombs. He also says it is possible the suspect has a military background.

"His targeting and his rationale is making perfect sense to him," Burton said. "It’s absolutely crazy for you and I and for your viewers, but there is a method to his madness as well as exactly why he’s chosen these specific venues."

http://www.kxan.com/news/local/aust...ess-who-the-austin-bomber-could-be/1058820583

So, I've been thinking about Billy the Bomber, a few thoughts:

He's a local and is familiar with the areas where he left the initial bombs. He is confident and is able to blend in to the community. I betcha no one will say they noticed anyone strange, he's able to get in and out without being noticed, he looks like he belongs or is just one of the many varied eccentrics that live in the city.

He's an older guy, he's patient and thoughtful, not impulsive.

I suspect people will say he was quiet and a bit of a loner but he was always nice.

Due to the complexity of the bombs he is either former military or possibly an engineer of some sort. He's intelligent, he knows how to hide his tracks. I bet he's been planning this for awhile, taking his time to gather materials. I'll bet it's learned that he has visited gun shows. Why those shows? You can get bomb making material there. Of course it isn't sold as bomb making material but it's pretty clear what the stuff is used for (I've been to a few shows and was shocked at what was available). He won't stop, at least not until he has gotten his message out or made his point.

Just some thoughts.

For some reason the bad guy in the movie Speed keeps popping into my head when thinking about the bomber.
Seems like he likes to play games.

If it is a group maybe claiming responsibility would put them at risk of being caught. Say if the Dallas Cowboys* claimed responsibility LE would know where to start looking and there would be a limited number of suspects.

*for an apolitical example
Until we get Dak Prescott healthy, the Cowboys won't be throwing any bombs LOL! :D

Updated map of locations:

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bomb locations so far 20180320.jpg
    Bomb locations so far 20180320.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 181
In the aerial footage of the scene where the tripwire bomb went off, there are clearly visible fragments of a "Drive Like Your Kids Live Here" sign. I wonder if that's what's being referred to as a for-sale sign in some reports. It appeared that there were only the fenced backs of homes along that street; the homes didn't face that street, and it wouldn't be a sensible place to put a for-sale sign. It sure didn't look like you could count on anyone in particular walking by or investigating.

from this article- sources involved in investigation says suspect mailed 2 packages from a Fed Ex drop off center.
In the video announcer says LE was measuring door at the FedEx Retail Dropoff center and asked congressman if
that was because they have video of door and possibly of suspect. Congressman said yes.

http://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/heavy-police-presence-at-fedex-near-austin-airport/1062630735

Nice! I bet he didn't just go in there all undisguised, but some things are harder to hide like height and gait :)

A Fire Department employee was just interviewed at the Brodie Lane FedEx location on the KVUE live feed and stated the FBI does has a lead.

"ATF Acting Special Agent in Charge Frank Ortega said hundreds of federal agents were on the scene.

"We have agents from across the country, we have our national response team, we have K9 units here," Ortega said. "We have been working round the clock — again, the public's safety is our number-one priority and we are trying to find the person or persons responsible.""

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-austin-bombings-20180320-story.html

Obvious first question...maybe a FedEx employee, past or present?

These events remind me of our NOCO serial shooter (o/t, which there has finally been arrest btw, and the guy is a scaaaaaary nutjob)

But LE has referred to the bombs as sophisticated work that takes skill. I don't think they are talking about easy internet bombs. JMO

Le is stroking him/them. Get him feeling cocky, and there ya go...jmo

Just heard that there is a connection to that facility and “some” packages.

Updated map of locations:

attachment.php
The 3 locations east of 35 are very close to Cap Metro routes. Brodie Lane close enough, runs late on weekends, but Travis Country you would need a bike, the closest bus route is express/ weekdays only.
We have an amazing new bike bridge connecting southwest Austin / southwest parkway via mopac (loop 1) corridor.

Throwing out some mapping ideas...

https://www.capmetro.org

One of the packages made it to Schertz where it exploded before it was to be sorted and returned to Austin, while the other arrived at a FedEx facility near the Austin airport, according to the source.

Both packages are believed to have contained nails, the source said. They were both thought to be bound for Austin.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/texas-officials-respond-reports-another-explosion-n858146

Since March 2, there have been three other devices that blew up. Unlike Sunday's, which had been left next to a fence, the others were placed outside homes.

Le is stroking him/them. Get him feeling cocky, and there ya go...jmo

IMO, it's probably both. These are probably more sophisticated than something the average joe getting plans off the internet can make, and they are also stroking the ego.

The 3 locations east of 35 are very close to Cap Metro routes. Brodie Lane close enough, runs late on weekends, but Travis Country you would need a bike, the closest bus route is express/ weekdays only.
We have an amazing new bike bridge connecting southwest Austin / southwest parkway via mopac (loop 1) corridor.

Throwing out some mapping ideas...

https://www.capmetro.org

Have you ridden capmetro? I haven't in the last 5 years or so but it used to take me 2 and a half hours to get anywhere decent - it was a pain in the *advertiser censored* and involved long transfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayrider129