TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered wrong apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere that Botham Jean's laptop was damaged. Does anyone know anything about that?
That was stated in a newspaper article. If Mr. Jean is like me or my sons, he may have been carrying it around. In my family we do that a lot. The computer goes from the bedroom to the dining room to the living room many times a day. It may have been dropped when he was shot or gotten hit by the other bullet in a freak occurrence.

From the Dallas Morning News:
"The Texas Rangers got a search warrant for Jean's apartment because after interviewing Guyger, they believed that "a possibility exists that Subject Jean was expecting an unknown visitor" and that a cellphone or laptop may show evidence of that, according to an affidavit.

A return for the warrant shows the Rangers collected an iPhone from the living room. They didn't take Jean's laptop, which they noted was damaged." Victim's family disputes official account of the moments before Amber Guyger shot Botham Jean | Dallas Police | Dallas News

I think we would have heard from a late night visitor by now if there was one.

Last edited:
I said this last night, and I will say it again: I think she planned this. I think she was fed up with whatever noise he was making, and she thought she could use this dumb story and get away with it.

This is possible, but if they are able to show she planed it and intended to shoot him the family will be barred from collecting damages from any insurance company involved and the city. The Lawyers who are representing her have a rep for getting city's to pay millions to make this go away. So if you carefully read what they say, they are blaming the police, the citizens of Dallas, and the apartment for the death.

This is possible, but if they are able to show she planed it and intended to shoot him the family will be barred from collecting damages from any insurance company involved and the city. The Lawyers who are representing her have a rep for getting city's to pay millions to make this go away. So if you carefully read what they say, they are blaming the police, the citizens of Dallas, and the apartment for the death.

Are you suggesting the family would rather have money than see amber prosecuted?

I don't get that at all. I get that they are blaming the reckless actions of a police officer and are criticising the actions of that PD for the way they initially handled the investigation or non investigation.

I dont like the victim blaming.
They are looking for justice. Period

I don't know enough about what transpired to form an opinion. I do know that vilifying AG won't bring Mr. Jean back.

At this point I feel she needs to be punished. More facts could come out that would change my mind, but at the very least there should be a civil penalty and loss of police officer certification.

I don't hear them saying that they blame the police, Dallas or the apartment complex for his death. At every turn they want her, the shooter or person who killed him, to be held accountable.

Do they think that the police have covered things up and are smearing his name? Yes. I believe they have every right to be furious. She killed a man and was question for a few minutes and sent home. She asked an officer if she could call someone when they relieved her of the scene---the officer said yes but don't say what happened. On what planet, could I as a citizen shoot someone in their apartment, claim I thought it was mine, give a blood sample and go home? She was treated preferentially and possibly the treatment allowed for justice to not be served because the story has changed from the night it happened.

Do I think the family wants the elected officials to be held accountable? Yes. They want their son, brother, nephew, cousin, grandson to have justice. Some are playing political football which doesn't bring their loved one back.

Why make noise about the apartment? The doors spring close or should. Did his not? If it didn't he was not afforded the safety measures he should have been. Do I think they want to go after the apartment owners? No, but when you have his killer saying his door was open, you have to investigate.

I don't get that at all. I get that they are blaming the reckless actions of a police officer and are criticising the actions of that PD for the way they initially handled the investigation or non investigation.

You can not collect on a Insurance liability policy for an intentional act, you can not collect punitive damages, you must prove negligence.

The Lawyers the family have hired on a contingent fee would. Got it

I have no idea if you ever lost someone to murder. But, no family wants the money over their loved one. In this case, the shooter was not arrested until the family's legal team delivered witnesses to the investigators. Why did the witnesses not get found prior? I don't know... could it be trust, could it be that unless there was pressure Mr. Jean would be smeared and the narrative was that he was a non-compliant suspect....could be any of these or more.

I don't think any family wants to have the legal services that this family has now and to imply that they are money hungry is not victim-friendly or victim family friendly. Mr. Jean was an innocent man who died not knowing why a woman burst into his apartment and shot him.

Snip:At a vigil here Tuesday night on the La Clery playing field to remember Botham Jean, his uncle, Irenius Jean, expressed the view that the slaying of his nephew should change the trend of such killings in the United States.

Prime Minister, Allen Chastanet, who took time off from a vacation in the United States to fly to Dallas to support the Jean family and meet with officials there, on his official Facebook page described Botham Jean’s death as ‘senseless’.

“While nothing can reverse the tragic outcome of last week’s event, our sincere hope is that the justice system will move swiftly and faithfully to investigate the circumstances surrounding Botham’s senseless death,” Chastanet wrote. End Snip.

Botham Jean's last words believed to be: "Oh my God, why did you do that?" - St. Lucia Times News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member