TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered wrong apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
How could it possibly be from when it just happened reports when article starts with information that was revealed on Sunday. Today is Sunday. The shooting didn't happen on Sunday. This is a new article with new information.
It also has information about 911 call.S

"The Dallas police officer who killed 26-year-old Botham Jean in his own apartment got inside because the door wasn’t locked, a law enforcement official said Sunday."
Botham Jean's door was unlocked, lights were off when Officer Amber Guyger mistook his apartment for hers, official says | Dallas Police | Dallas News
So what happened to all those reports that she tried to enter with her key and he opened the door and she shot him twice in the chest. If she indeed enter his apartment through an unlocked door, it is a home invasion on her part. Nothing she did makes her less guilty, whether through stupidity or a sense of entitlement on her part

Guyger, 30, of Dallas, was charged with manslaughter, according to jail records. The four-year veteran of the department was released from the Kaufman County Jail on Sunday evening after posting a $300,000 bond. It wasn't immediately clear if Guyger had an attorney.

We don't need evidence beyond a reasonable doubt at this point," the family's attorney, S. Lee Merritt, told reporters Sunday. "At this point, we need probable cause of a crime. And the existence of probable cause is painstakingly clear to everyone."

Merritt said attorneys presented prosecutors with a witness, and video evidence, which didn't capture the shooting, but declined to elaborate.

"We're still dealing in America with black people being killed in some of the most arbitrary ways, driving while black, walking while black and now we have to add living while black," co-counsel Benjamin Crump said.

Dallas police officer arrested in shooting death of Botham Shem Jean - CNN

So what happened to all those reports that she tried to enter with her key and he opened the door and she shot him twice in the chest. If she indeed enter his apartment through an unlocked door, it is a home invasion on her part. Nothing she did makes her less guilty, whether through stupidity or a sense of entitlement on her part
I can’t find it now but it was in one of the earlier reports that she was inside the apartment when she fired. I’m pretty sure it was a statement made by an authority.

Good catch Jennifer17. No matter what the narrative is, this was a "home invasion". And a man was shot dead in his own home, just hanging out.

The group Mothers Against Police Brutality says the arrest of a white Dallas officer in the off-duty shooting death of her black neighbor is a "first step" toward justice and accountability.

A co-founder of Mothers Against Police Brutality, Sara Mokuria, says the group is happy with the arrest, but believes it should have come days ago. Mokuria says police officers should be held to a higher level of accountability and not afforded special treatment.

The Latest: Group says arrest 'first step' toward justice

This sounds like new information. If that accurate he didn't open the door, she just saw him inside his own apartment and shot him because she believed he was in her apartment. It also says she parked on the wrong floor, so presumably that means there is access to the apartments through the garage.

"Guyger, who was still in uniform, put her key in the door, which was unlocked, and the door opened, the official said. The lights were out. She saw a figure in the darkness and thought her apartment was being burglarized, the official said. Guyger pulled her gun and fired twice."
Botham Jean's door was unlocked, lights were off when Officer Amber Guyger mistook his apartment for hers, official says | Dallas Police | Dallas News

But why not try to do something different than shooting first? Doesn't she have a lot of training for all different kinds of situations? This whole thing is such a sad deal.

Absolutely. Burglary is not a death penalty eligible offense. Shooting without even identifying the person? Wow.

I don't think that they had real story then.

And who knows if this is the "real" story? The killer is telling it. The other person who could verify the information is dead.

I am skeptical about anything I hear from a murderer, that cannot be corroborated with actual evidence. A criminal will say anything to make herself seem more sympathetic.

I don't think that they had real story then.
Maybe this was it: - Updated September 08, 2018 08:33 PM
BBM

Several questions still remain — such as how the officer got into the apartment, why she thought it was hers, and if she and Jean knew each other.

For some strange reason, the door was open and she was able to gain entry into the apartment.
We need to find out whether there was a personal relationship,” West said. “There are so many facts that need to be looked at before determining what kind of homicide this is.”

Rawlings said Jean’s death is a very serious issue for the city.
‘We’re going to make sure justice is served,’ Dallas mayor says of Botham Jean

Maybe this was it: - Updated September 08, 2018 08:33 PM
BBM

Several questions still remain — such as how the officer got into the apartment, why she thought it was hers, and if she and Jean knew each other.

For some strange reason, the door was open and she was able to gain entry into the apartment.
We need to find out whether there was a personal relationship,” West said. “There are so many facts that need to be looked at before determining what kind of homicide this is.”

Rawlings said Jean’s death is a very serious issue for the city.
‘We’re going to make sure justice is served,’ Dallas mayor says of Botham Jean
I do not believe that his door was open or unlocked.

Burglary is not a capital offense the last I heard. If you think there is a burglar in your apartment you leave and call for help. You don’t start shooting!

For example...I came home from picking our daughter up at school one afternoon years ago, and when I walked in the door to our house, which was in the middle of 10 acres of forest, I could tell instantly that stuff was missing. I didn’t know if the burglar was still there. I grabbed my 6 year old daughter, ran out the door, got back in the car and gunned it down our long driveway...out of harm’s way. It turned out that all three of them were gone, but even if they had still been there and I’d seen them and had a gun, shooting would not enter my mind unless there was a clear threat to our lives. Since when are possessions worth more than a human life, even a criminal’s? Not in my world.

Sgt. Mike Mata, president of Dallas' largest police employee organization, the Dallas Police Association, on Saturday called for an "open, transparent and full investigation of the event," the Dallas Morning News reported. He described Jean as an "amazing individual" and said that "if the grand jury deems necessary, this officer should have to answer for her actions in a court of law in Dallas County." bbm

Texas Officer Arrested on Manslaughter Charge in Man's Death

Following Merritt’s meeting with the district attorney, he decided against releasing the new evidence he believes will lead to Guyger’s arrest.

He said they “brought forward a witness and video evidence, not of the shooting itself” and that the narrative pushed by DPD is challenged by the evidence they presented.

“Which is why they pulled back on the warrant,” he said. “We know she (Guyger) used her service weapon ... when people saw her in the public, they believed she was a police officer ... for us, it enhances the culpability.

Off-duty Dallas police officer charged in shooting death of unarmed Botham Shem Jean

Whatever the narrative turns out to be in the end, I'll bet the fact that "she feared for her life" will become part of it

You’re probably right, but I don’t see how that would fly. Every day at work she could be in situations and fear for her life. Is she going to shoot? I guess so. She did it before. But I don’t think it’s going to turn out the same as it did with the taser guy. Interesting that she didn’t kill him, even though he was a clear threat and she had good reason to fear for her life. This time, she saw a figure in a dark room who posed no obvious threat. All she needed to do was pull out her gun and back slowly away from danger.

Apparently the killer states the door was ajar. This is a new story. Before, she said she was having a hard time opening the door, and Mr. Jean heard her, opened the door, and she shot him.
So she has come up with a new story that didn't involve her trying her keys? What happened to that story of hers? Now she just walked in the ajar door? Did she really believe that she left her door ajar or a burgaler would? What nonsense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18