TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered wrong apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Officer Amber Guyger had just ended a 15-hour shift when she parked on the wrong level of the South Side Flats garage— the fourth floor instead of the third, where she lived, according to the official who has direct knowledge of the case but is not authorized to discuss it publicly. ”

Botham Jean's door was unlocked, lights were off when Officer Amber Guyger mistook his apartment for hers, official says | Dallas Police | Dallas News

Wouldn’t you hesitate if you came home and your door was unlocked? I certainly would wonder what was going on and not just walk on whoever might be lying in wait. That red mat is very hard to miss. What was she thinking...or not, obviously.

The woman who recorded the 2 videos stated on her Instagram account that the first video taken is of the Officer who shot Botham on the phone right after she shot him. So the videos are not in order.
The first video taken is of her on the phone “a few seconds after pulling the trigger”.

Wouldn’t you hesitate if you came home and your door was unlocked? I certainly would wonder what was going on and not just walk on whoever might be lying in wait. That red mat is very hard to miss. What was she thinking...or not, obviously.
No kidding! And police have really bright flashlights. Why wouldn't she shine her flashlight in the apt from the doorway and say "Is anyone in here?" Or back out into the hallway and call 911. Maybe if she had turned on her flashlight, she would have seen that she was in the wrong apt.(Then again, maybe not since she didn't see the screaming red door mat).

Everything she did defies the common sense of an ordinary person---and she was a cop.

Last edited:
Not according to Texas's legal definition of "home invasion." IF she can convince a jury that she mistakenly walked through an unlocked, partly opened door that she honestly presumed was her own residence and subsequently shot, in the dark, a person she thought was an intruder, the charge would be trespass resulting in accidental death.
We simply don't have enough facts to know what really happened here. I agree it looks very bad for her and the scenario I painted above is highly unlikely, but let's not put her neck in a noose just yet. Even the guiltiest-looking defendant deserves her day in court.
-AC

With that said-how interesting the story has changed..

They purposely aren’t telling anyone when she started or ended her shift.

I don't know if there's a "typical" shift? Like 6-6? I'm not sure if that's even a thing in law enforcement, to have typical shifts? Then she ended up working 3 extra hours? So maybe her shift was 6am-6pm and then she ended up working till 9pm? I don't know but it sure would be nice to have that answered.

I can't imagine wanting to do anything but go to bed after working a 15 hour shift. Then again, I can't imagine working a 15 hour shift.

New question.

I don’t use guns

That hallway is well lit per the video the neighbor took.

Would you shoot a gun in a home without lights on? Just hope (as a cop w training) you hit the intruder?

Also- the neighbor said before all this news. That she SAW Mr Jeans lights on in his home.....
“Guyger, who was still in uniform, put her key in the door, which was unlocked, and the door opened, the official said. The lights were out. She saw a figure in the darkness and thought her apartment was being burglarized, the official said. Guyger pulled her gun and fired twice.”

Tf..

The narrative keeps changing.

Normally, I am very "Pro-Law Enforcement". This situation makes me ill. It is rife with cronyism, cover up, and smells bad. Anyone who is part of this toxic miasma better CYA, because the potential political blowback could be a career killer.

Do you have a link to your statement that there is such a charge as 'trespass resulting in accidental death' that would pertain to the person who lived in the home dying . Thanks.
Rocco: Here is a link that discusses the ins and outs of trespass/burglary/etc in TX. If the death in this case is deemed accidental, and if she is charged with no more than trespass (no intent to burglarize and thought she was in her own home), her atty would no doubt attempt to have the charges reduced to those components, even though the dead person is the home owner. I don't know of any cases in my state (CO) where the dead person was the home owner, but if Guyger's atty is looking for a way out, that will likely be the path he takes. All I'm sayin. Link: https://medlinfirm.com/blog/home-invasions-and-burglaries-in-texas/

And hadn't she been in another situation where she inappropriately used force not too much before this?

Sound like someone who should not ever have been armed: Thinks with a weapon, not her head
Way off on that one. In 2017 she fired a gun at a man who smacked a taser out of her hand while attacking her. She had fired her taser at him when he initially attacked her. She shot him in the abdomen and no charges were filed against her because investigators agreed that her use of force was fully justified. "Thinks with a weapon, not her head," is totally unfounded.

Reactions: TRB
Way off on that one. In 2017 she fired a gun at a man who smacked a taser out of her hand while attacking her. She had fired her taser at him when he initially attacked her. She shot him in the abdomen and no charges were filed against her because investigators agreed that her use of force was fully justified. "Thinks with a weapon, not her head," is totally unfounded.

I see your point but as stated previously, there are plenty of cops who are police officers for many years and never fire their weapon.

I see your point but as stated previously, there are plenty of cops who are police officers for many years and never fire their weapon.
In the 2017 case, the perp attacked her, so she had no choice but to taze him. Then when he slapped the taser out of her hand and attacked her again, she had no choice but to shoot at him. She has zero culpability in that incident, and it's not her fault that she was at that time being sent out in response to some pretty hairy calls. As for the current incident, completely different story. My guess is that it's gonna be a long trial with massive media along the lines of OJ or Zimmerman. That is, unless her team takes a deal for M2 or lesser, but I doubt that as I sit here now, trying to predict the future. Thanks for your comment.
-AC

This sounds like new information. If that accurate he didn't open the door, she just saw him inside his own apartment and shot him because she believed he was in her apartment. It also says she parked on the wrong floor, so presumably that means there is access to the apartments through the garage.

"Guyger, who was still in uniform, put her key in the door, which was unlocked, and the door opened, the official said. The lights were out. She saw a figure in the darkness and thought her apartment was being burglarized, the official said. Guyger pulled her gun and fired twice."
Botham Jean's door was unlocked, lights were off when Officer Amber Guyger mistook his apartment for hers, official says | Dallas Police | Dallas News
My speculation: The anonymous official might be AG's way of changing her story, and leaking it to the media. The new story should paint her in a better light, since she wasn't shooting right away at the guy opening the door for her, but at a dark figure in 'her' opened apartment that she was stumbling upon. It could also pave the way for a lesser offence in court, as poster AC has pointed out.

That could be what a few days of consideration or consultation would have bought her.

I might sound unfair to an "alleged killer", but right now all balances are tilted for her benefit. She doesn't need more from me.

I believe in the few days she was allowed to be free, she has talked to people in the know as to how to change her story to Benefit her. This new story appears to have the “get out of jail ticket on it”, something her original story was not going to give her.

If the 15 hour shift is a point of contention, then the DPD will need to hire more officers to reduce the current officers hours. I don’t think this IS the problem. What does she do on a regular basis after she gets home from work? There are many people in the US who work two jobs and put in more than 15 hour shifts. You the person has to work on your schedule and arrange how much sleep you need and can get. I don’t think she has children, so that gives her an entire evening free.

Also, if I went up to my apartment door and discovered it was unlocked, I surely wouldn’t go inside. I would quietly back up away from the door, go down the hall, knock on a neighbor’s door and go in to call 911. Even if I had a gun, my first thought would be to get myself to safety. No, I don’t carry as I am terrified of guns.

In my honest opinion, I can’t see that she did one thing correct! She went in to shoot and as too many officers do today, they shoot to kill.

This is going to be a big blowup of racial violence as it seems so far they are protecting and codling the officer. I believe the Jean family has every right to be upset.

It really doesn't matter what her story is, the truth will come out.

Although, mid way into writing that statement, I realized that her buddies could create whatever story they want. I don't like to believe in conspiracy theories...but it happens all the time.

Oh, no doubt, paid administrative leave until she is done with the trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzyQuinn