TX - Botham Shem Jean, 26, killed when police officer entered wrong apartment, Dallas, Sept 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts:

1. Why hasn't Amber Guyger issued a public apology? If it was truly an accident, most people usually issue some type of apology, or at least "our thoughts are with the family" type of message?

2. She said she saw a "dark silouette" and ordered the person to raise his hands, yet the lights were off. Well...... a. how would she know if he was or was not raising his hands if the lights were off b. why didn't she TURN THE LIGHTS ON THEN, instead of waiting till after she shot him and called 911 and c. why on earth would he just have been standing in the darkness in his apartment? If someone gets up out of bed he first thing they do is turn on the lights.

3. Is there any chance that Amber Guyger could be required to take a lie detector test?

4. Do you think she will ever speak publicly in an interview...? I suspect not because a deception detector (google eyes for lies) will be able to pull out many clues that show is lying.

5. I just don't get how she didn't notice when walking in the hallway that it was the wrong floor too....?

6. If she really thought a burglar was in there, and she was only in the doorway, wouldn't it have made more sense to just WALK AWAY and call for back up? Why would you immediately shoot...?

7. I mean how did she not know maybe there was a maintenance man in there.... if you're in the doorway and not even in the apt the smart thing would be a. not enter and b. walk/run away.

8. This isn't related, but why did she live in the apartments? I read she had been there a month? Was she recently separated from her husband/boyfriend? I read she'd been on the force for over a four years, if so surely she could have afforded her own home or at least a nice rental home?

9. If she truly thought she was shooting a burglar why aim for the chest? Why not the legs? (I wouldn't shoot at all but I mean why the chest)

Thanks anyone who responds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
As for why she hasn’t issued a statement, this is absolutely in line with normal protocol. Her lawyer would forbid her from doing this, even if she wanted to. Her life is now at stake, and any comments could be used against her.

No one could force her to take a polygraph, and her lawyer would likely advise against it.

As for shooting in the chest, if you are truly in fear for your life, that’s where you shoot. Center mass.

I have a lot of problems with this case, and am by no means on her side. This was as reckless as it was unnecessary.

I bet that some of those people were wearing ear buds. I have a granny flat that I rent out and one day I could smell burning from the flat and went and banged on his door and called out to him and he was gaming with ear thingos . There was smoke and he had not noticed it. I turned the power off before I got his attention, because something was burning and smoking on the stove top.

There could be a few reasons for it, like they said there one person was in a quiet room reading, another was watching tv, and I think another was on the phone. I just think it might be hard to make sense of it. I suppose in a way police are used to having 20 witnesses each with a slightly different version of what they just saw and heard, but in a case like this you really want to be able to put a definitive answer to the jury.

I don't believe that she did a fifteen hour shift. It was reported as 12 hours at first so now they have made it 15 to cover three missing hours.
This can and will be verified. No one could cover this up, she’s either lying or being truthful, and a jury will hear the truth.

As for why she hasn’t issued a statement, this is absolutely in line with normal protocol. Her lawyer would forbid her from doing this, even if she wanted to. Her life is now at stake, and any comments could be used against her.

Thanks for responding. Well if it that were me and I truly made this horrific mistake I wouldn't care what my attorney said and I would just apologize show remorse. I once when to the wrong car and opened the door and everything (there was a guy in there and looked at me like "WHAT WHO ARE YOU?"

I wonder if there’s video in the apartment garage, and they can verify that she parked on the fourth floor? If she actually parked on the third floor....
Do those apartments have assigned parking spots? If so, Bo’s car would have been in the slot for his apartment, and she woulda known she was mixed up. Or, did she think he was in her spot and went in a rage to tell him off?
Surely, there would have been video in that garage? Or maybe someone spotted her car? She prolly drove it away the moment she freed up from the EMT’s....

I hope they did go and check where her car was and didn't just take her word for it.

The affidavit seemed quite wanting in a lot of regards as it didn't say "when officer went to check they found the car was on the fourth floor, as described by AG" or anything like that. I don't know what affidavits normally look like, I've only seen a couple on here and I can't remember the details of them.

I just watched the video where Botham’s lawyer was on television.

How in the he$$ did Guyger call in a noise complaint on him that day IF she had worked a 15 hour shift and was just coming in from work? This does not add up!

Yes, I skipped some posts so this may have been discussed. As soon as I heard it, I thought yep, she has added another lie and this may be the one that hangs her!!
I think some other neighbor called in the noise complaint---not her.

Thanks for responding. Well if it that were me and I truly made this horrific mistake I wouldn't care what my attorney said and I would just apologize show remorse. I once when to the wrong car and opened the door and everything (there was a guy in there and looked at me like "WHAT WHO ARE YOU?"
Exactly. You didn't pull out your gun and shoot him because you thought he was stealing your car.

You don't think that the police at her station could falsify that?
Not with the eyes of the country on them. You have a standard shift, beyond that is generally overtime. All hours are accounted for.

A coverup here would be exposed, and would bring down the hammer on anyone involved. She either worked the hours she said, or an investigation would prove otherwise. Dozens of people would have to lie, and there are of course cameras and other sources to back up whatever the truth is.

Not with the eyes of the country on them. You have a standard shift, beyond that is generally overtime. All hours are accounted for. A coverup here would be exposed, and would bring down the hammer on anyone involved. She either worked the hours she said, or an investigation would prove orherwise. Dozens of people would have to lie, and there are of course cameras and other sources to back up whatever the truth is.
I am pleased to hear that, but I think that other police officers are not above lying for her. Or refusing to make statement.

I think some other neighbor called in the noise complaint---not her.
I'm pretty sure the article said the complaint came from her apartment.

"Merritt did reveal that the same day as the shooting, someone in the apartment immediately below Jean’s — which happens to be Guyger’s place of residence — made a noise complaint about Jean’s apartment; furthermore, he said, it was not the first noise complaint."

Everything We Know About the Off-Duty Cop Who Shot and Killed Her Black Neighbor

Noise from above could’ve been something other than singing. I used to have an upstairs neighbor that either danced or exercised. It would shake the chandelier over my dining table.
Yes, I too have had an upstairs neighbour who I could hear walking heavily, with shoes on on hard floors, moving chairs in and out, playing loud music, but I didn't kill them.

Yes, I too have had an upstairs neighbour who I could hear walking heavily, with shoes on on hard floors, moving chairs in and out, playing loud music, but I didn't kill them.

Yeah, I mean, he could have been doing jumping jacks, sex, any number of things. He didn't deserve this. It's madness. But now it's starting to make more sense to me... If that makes sense. Ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Memez411