TX - Cash Gernon, 4, found dead in street w/multiple wounds, Dallas, 15 May 2021 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is so,why wasn't he kept somewhere that he wouldn't be danger to the community? If he already had an evading charge. Clearly that shows there is an escape risk. Who was in charge of this,and why wasn't he actually monitored?
He was out free because our Mental Health system is trash. It does nothing and I know first hand, how useless they can be.

When my brother was CLEARLY having psychotic episodes, he would be taken in to a mental hospital for 2 to 4 days. He would begin taking meds, mostly lithium and they would then send him on his merry way.

Everything would go back to where it was within a week or two. My Mom would work hard to find Group Homes for him and that would work for awhile. But she had to do all of the work to try and keep him in his meds and taking them and getting his groceries etc. If it wasn't for my double Pisces Mother, he would have been a transient, living in a park somewhere.

The Mental health system knew he believed the CIA was after him. He was convinced that Johnny Carson was the main operative after him. My brother actually drove to Los Angeles from SF, and got a ticket for Johhny's show. And stood up from the audience and rushed the stage screaming at him....:eek:

that ^^ only got him 4 days in the Psych Ward. And they let him out on the streets of LA, where he didnt know anyone and had no place to go. My brother had to drive down and find him and drive back home, while he was still in full blown meltdown.

Last edited:
Wondering if this is part of what's gnawing at me, that feeling that there's so much we don't yet know...
"police reportedly believe there is a connection between Sherrod and the suspect, but the specifics of the relationship remain a mystery."

Toddler found dead Saturday in Mountain Creek neighborhood | wfaa.com

17 May 2021

Officials said the 4-year-old boy had "multiple wounds" to his body when officers arrived. Investigators canvassed the area and asked for the public’s help, especially from any neighbors who may have had video footage of the incident.

Darriynn Brown was arrested in connection to the boy's death on charges of kidnapping and theft, Dallas police said Sunday. Investigators added they anticipate additional charges as they await results from a forensic analysis.

Neighbor Antwainese Square told WFAA Saturday she found the body while out for a walk in the neighborhood around 6:45 a.m.

[..]

Right now, Brown is being held on a $750,000 bail for each charge, according to the sheriff's office. According to records, he was charged with evading police in late April, and Dallas police say they’re expecting more charges to be filed.

Medical Examiner: 4-Year-Old Cash Gernon Died Of Multiple Stab Wounds When Found In Dallas Street

DALLAS (CBSDFW.COM) – The Dallas County Medical Examiner has ruled the death of a 4-year-old boy whose body was found abandoned in a southwest Dallas street early Saturday a homicide, adding that the child later identified as Cash Gernon died from multiple stab wounds.

Meanwhile, court documents are helping to provide a timeline of what may have happened on that Saturday.

See link for 5 am to 10 pm timeline of alleged abduction/murder by the accused.

More likely than not, it's the camera sensor activating. Our son's camera has a light that turns on when motion is detected; we often notice him looking at it when we ask for a live view of his room to call him or to check on him (which I do as often as is reasonable for an adult his age). It also happens when I activate the microphone on my side to speak to him...he immediately reacts to the light of the device lighting up.

Very interesting, thank you. IMO I think it’s safe to assume DB was alerted by the red light, he knew he was on video, and still carried out the first abduction, and came back a second time in daylight, but for whatever reason, didn’t follow thru, but knew he would be on cam, and didn’t care?

my baby monitors never recorded video, but I do have a pet cam setup to see what my pups are up to when I’m out. Like someone else mentioned, it’s motion/sound activated and sends images/clips to my phone when one barks or walks by. There’s an option to record video, but it saves to my phone and will kill the memory if I let it run all day. It doesn’t have a red light to indicate it’s been activated. I do have to manually turn it on before I leave and sync it with my phone.

So I wonder about this camera in the twins room, that their guardian seemingly forgot existed until one of her kids reminded her. Where was all the footage saved to? What is the point of a monitor/surveillance camera in the twins room, if it didn’t alert the guardian of sound or movement in the room? How many days back does the recorded footage go? Did someone have to manually turn it on and off every night?

Brown arrested on kidnapping AND theft. What did he steal? Was this retaliation for being owed something? Or was he a thief who prowled the neighborhood and on this day saw an opportunity and took it?

Perhaps the charge of theft pertains to he MIGHT HAVE stolen from the home a sharp object (knife(?) used in the murder?

I do not think we know for certain what the murder weapon was?...
But... I might have missed this information because my iPad blocks some media articles... and not others...
Go figure...<<sigh...>>

Reposting this from 3 days ago....

Sadly, our local media in the Dallas area has basically dropped this story.

‘But neighbors say the teenage suspect was known for causing trouble.

“This guy here is on NextDoor where he’s busted into cars, ring doorbells, he threatened other people’s lives,” said neighbor Joe Bubel. “People are asking, why didn’t the police pursue that? That’s just his side of the story. I don’t know the other side of the story.”

Video of the neighbor in the article.

Dallas Police Recover What Could Be The Weapon Used To Kill 4-Year-Old Cash Gernon

Reposting this from 3 days ago....

Sadly, our local media in the Dallas area has basically dropped this story.

‘But neighbors say the teenage suspect was known for causing trouble.

“This guy here is on NextDoor where he’s busted into cars, ring doorbells, he threatened other people’s lives,” said neighbor Joe Bubel. “People are asking, why didn’t the police pursue that? That’s just his side of the story. I don’t know the other side of the story.”

Video of the neighbor in the article.

Dallas Police Recover What Could Be The Weapon Used To Kill 4-Year-Old Cash Gernon

has anyone been able to locate these incidents on nextdoor?

I have NextDoor but I’m in a rural area on the other side of Dallas from this neighborhood so can’t see their activity.
I’ve seen screenshots.

You're in Dallas? Do you have insight into how Covid-19 impacted the school system there?

I thought perhaps the twins were being "home-schooled" because the schools were shut down. Here in NYC the schools were shut down for a year and now parents/guardians can choose whether to send them in, or keep them home doing Zoom. That's allowed a lot of children to get lost in the system and really not "attend" school at all.

In NYC most four-year olds attend pre-k, but it's not mandatory. Covid has made education very scattershot here. I was curious if this played a role in the twins not attending any kind of early education classes.

Perhaps the charge of theft pertains to he MIGHT HAVE stolen from the home a sharp object (knife(?) used in the murder?

I do not think we know for certain what the murder weapon was?...
But... I might have missed this information because my iPad blocks some media articles... and not others...
Go figure...<<sigh...>>
I had to look up this allegation. Reportedly, "theft" in Texas has a broad definition which would include the accused trespassing on the property, and/or illegally gaining access to the property. Doesn't matter if the accused took anything -- the prosecutor only needs to prove he intended to take something when he illegally came on to the property.

Texas Misdemeanor and Felony Theft and Shoplifting Laws

What an absolute tragedy for these two and all who loved them.

akid.jpg

Cash Gernon

thumbnail_DARRIYNN-BROWN-mugshot.jpg

Darriynn Brown mugshot (Source: Dallas County Jail)

Medical Examiner: 4-Year-Old Cash Gernon Died Of Multiple Stab Wounds When Found In Dallas Street

You're in Dallas? Do you have insight into how Covid-19 impacted the school system there?

I thought perhaps the twins were being "home-schooled" because the schools were shut down. Here in NYC the schools were shut down for a year and now parents/guardians can choose whether to send them in, or keep them home doing Zoom. That's allowed a lot of children to get lost in the system and really not "attend" school at all.

In NYC most four-year olds attend pre-k, but it's not mandatory. Covid has made education very scattershot here. I was curious if this played a role in the twins not attending any kind of early education classes.

Schools here have been in-person the entire school year. There is also a virtual option, but they have been open for in-person students since summer school and then regular school in August.

In Texas, it's very easy for children to be "lost." There is no oversight in homeschooling. If you are part of the public school system already, you send a simple letter stating you will now be homeschooling and that's it. If the child has never been part of the public school system, they have no idea the child exists. Preschool here is not mandatory, either. My best guess is that the woman has no legal rights to the children and cannot enroll them in any kind of school or daycare program.

I had to look up this allegation. Reportedly, "theft" in Texas has a broad definition which would include the accused trespassing on the property, and/or illegally gaining access to the property. Doesn't matter if the accused took anything -- the prosecutor only needs to prove he intended to take something when he illegally came on to the property.

Texas Misdemeanor and Felony Theft and Shoplifting Laws

Thank you for the clarification/distinction of the terms theft and burglary in the courts of Texas, Seattle!

Below is one reference:

The teenage suspect’s mother told CBS 11’s Robbie Owens over the phone that her son has some mental health issues, but not capable of such a violent act.

"Mental health issues" is so vague. Mental health issues could be as "benign" as social anxiety, generalized anxiety, phobias, depression, eating disorders, etc., which would explain mom's characterization of him being incapable of "such a violent act." By benign, I mean not associated with violence towards others.

Last edited:
Very interesting, thank you. IMO I think it’s safe to assume DB was alerted by the red light, he knew he was on video, and still carried out the first abduction, and came back a second time in daylight, but for whatever reason, didn’t follow thru, but knew he would be on cam, and didn’t care?

my baby monitors never recorded video, but I do have a pet cam setup to see what my pups are up to when I’m out. Like someone else mentioned, it’s motion/sound activated and sends images/clips to my phone when one barks or walks by. There’s an option to record video, but it saves to my phone and will kill the memory if I let it run all day. It doesn’t have a red light to indicate it’s been activated. I do have to manually turn it on before I leave and sync it with my phone.

So I wonder about this camera in the twins room, that their guardian seemingly forgot existed until one of her kids reminded her. Where was all the footage saved to? What is the point of a monitor/surveillance camera in the twins room, if it didn’t alert the guardian of sound or movement in the room? How many days back does the recorded footage go? Did someone have to manually turn it on and off every night?

Our cameras are set to record motion, and it saves to whatever device it's hooked up to so I expect the recordings are in Ms. Sherrod's phone. We can access the cameras at any time from the laptop, desktop, iPad, or cell phone, and we get alerts when someone rings our doorbell or there is a motion in our son's room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MsIris1127