Found Deceased TX - Chrissy Powell, 39, San Antonio, Paralegal, didn’t arrive @work, BOLO, 5 July 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Doesn’t make sense that the car was only there for one week. Where would she have gone for two weeks prior? with no evidence of being alive, no bank activity, no sightings? It seems if she ended her life as Daily Mail reports, it would’ve been the first day or close to it.

And did she plan to die of overdose and heat stroke? No signs of injury so she might have swallow pills and then allowed herself to pass out in a cooking hot car in the passenger seat?

How could her body sit in a car that must’ve been reaching 150° on those boiling hot days go unnoticed for 1-3 weeks? It must have been horrific.

Below is a study showing how a car can hit 116 in an hour on a 95° day. How heat stroke in a child sets in within an hour. Those days were over 100 in a black car.

To investigate the matter, researchers studied how long it takes different types of cars to heat up on hot days. The findings were sobering: Within 1 hour, the temperature inside of a car parked in the sun on a day that reached 95 degrees Fahrenheit (35 degrees Celsius) or hotter, hit an average of 116 degrees F (47 degrees C).

A person trapped in a rapidly heating car is at risk for heatstroke, which can be deadly.

It's difficult to predict when heatstroke will strike — largely because the condition involves many factors, including a person's age, weight and existing health conditions, the researchers said. But most cases happen when a child's core body temperature rises above 104 degrees F (40 degrees C) for an extended period of time.

To learn more about the risks children face, the researchers used data to model a hypothetical 2-year-old boy. When strapped into a car seat in a parked car on a hot day, this child would meet the criteria for heatstroke in just 1 hour if the car were parked in the sun.

I’m curious about how her new job played into this. I thought it was kind of strange when she went missing the law firm was immediately talking about how wonderful she is and how they promoted her within three days. They literally only worked with her for a few days, and they were strangely talking about how much they like her and how well they treated her.

If she had a hopeful new job and new promotion, it seems like she would have been feeling a little hopeful? versus ending her life within a few days of the job new job? What happened at that new job? Why did they promote her within a few days? Why were they talking about how well they treated her Immediately after she went missing?

And I wonder about waiting 6 months!!!! for toxicology report.

I'm really surprised that it takes soooo long.

But maybe there are not many professionals and there is a queue?
San Antonio has a large population and that can play into how long this process takes. Do they have more than one facility, how many employees ect? Then take into consideration what cases take precedence, if no foul play is suspected than it may not be at the top of the to do list. Especially if a ME has determined a cause of death already, which list no foul play. What is their case load like and is it backlogged? Unfortunately in many jurisdictions these labs are overwhelmed and undermanned.

I don't think the car not being noticed for so long means anything. It seems like a large, busy parking lot. It is also a parking lot for a number of private businesses so we have no idea if the security officer was even patrolling the parking lot. He may have been assigned to a store and just happened to notice the car. Given that it is large and free parking, a car being there overnight may not be a strange occurrence at all. In fact just a quick browse shows me at least one store that is open until 1am.

It looks like her windows are tinted so a security guard who is making minimum wage isn't going to pay much attention to a car that is parked there. It isn't breaking any rules.

Then finally the guard notices it one day and sees it hasn't moved. Again, odd but not crazy. Finally he or someone else notices the bad smell. He goes up to it, finally get a close enough to get a glimpse into the tinted windows and sees Chrissy, obviously deceased or the least unwell, and calls the cops.

As for her being the passenger seat, if she chose to end her life that doesn't surprise me. She pulled off the road and may have been sitting the car for a long time considering her decision. The passenger seat is more comfortable. I have sat in mine when one the phone or waiting in my car - you can stretch out a bit more. Also possible whatever she needed was in the glove compartent.

If it was not suicide, she may have been not been feeling well and pulled off the road into the parking lot. Got into the passenger seat to rest for a bit (realized she didn't have her phone so couldn't call anyone but needed to relax before driving). Moved to passenger seat for comfort then passed away due to the medical condition or maybe heat stroke.

(Personally I think it was suicide, based on indicators from articles and what her sister said. But it could absolutely be something else).

Regardless, nothing stands out to me as fishy. Unfortunate for sure. She should have been found sooner. But I think people are reading too much into a minimum wage security guard for a very large, open parking lot not noticing one specific car.
I agree with nearly everything you say, particularly about her sister's comment seeming to indicate that Chrissy was suffering emotionally.

IMO though, I respectfully disagree with your emphasis on a security guard not doing his or her job throughly due to being a minimum wage earner.

From what I've seen, a lot of minimum wage earners are particularly diligent about their jobs because they can't afford to lose them, and they likely don't have savings to fall back on. Also, I don't know about Texas, but here in NYC the security guards in most places are in a union. Their pay is not spectacular but it's not minimum wage.

That said, of course it would've been so much better had she been spotted earlier, though IMO her outcome would've been the same. It would have provided answers for her family more quickly, though.

I think there were multiple reasons her car was overlooked. Varying store hours, different shifts for workers, tinted windows perhaps suggested the car was empty, guards focused more on safety and preventing shoplifting, a free parking lot that may have frequently had people parked there for awhile for multiple reasons.

Jmo

I’m curious about how her new job played into this. I thought it was kind of strange when she went missing the law firm was immediately talking about how wonderful she is and how they promoted her within three days. They literally only worked with her for a few days, and they were strangely talking about how much they like her and how well they treated her.

If she had a hopeful new job and new promotion, it seems like she would have been feeling a little hopeful? versus ending her life within a few days of the job new job? What happened at that new job? Why did they promote her within a few days? Why were they talking about how well they treated her Immediately after she went missing?

I think the law firm made her permanent in order to keep her as their employee, as they were impressed by her work ethic, showing up on time for work, etc. Since the pandemic, it has been increasingly difficult for employers to find good employees, so when you find them, you don't want to lose them. I don't think it's more complicated than that.

But IMO, for whatever reason, her job performance, punctuality, showing up, etc. was not sustainable for the long term. And the long weekend, without the structure of the new job, may have also been a factor. Add in the stressful relationship around her youngest child and custody issues, her relationship with her ex, and expectations for a fun holiday weekend, etc. and it may have all just been overwhelming for her, particularly if she suffered from depression or other mental health conditions. I think her employers at the law firm genuinely cared for Chrissy, and they must be grieving as well. JMO.

I agree with nearly everything you say, particularly about her sister's comment seeming to indicate that Chrissy was suffering emotionally.

IMO though, I respectfully disagree with your emphasis on a security guard not doing his or her job throughly due to being a minimum wage earner.

From what I've seen, a lot of minimum wage earners are particularly diligent about their jobs because they can't afford to lose them, and they likely don't have savings to fall back on. Also, I don't know about Texas, but here in NYC the security guards in most places are in a union. Their pay is not spectacular but it's not minimum wage.

That said, of course it would've been so much better had she been spotted earlier, though IMO her outcome would've been the same. It would have provided answers for her family more quickly, though.

I think there were multiple reasons her car was overlooked. Varying store hours, different shifts for workers, tinted windows perhaps suggested the car was empty, guards focused more on safety and preventing shoplifting, a free parking lot that may have frequently had people parked there for awhile for multiple reasons.

Jmo

Agree, and also this was a huge parking lot with numerous businesses and cars parked at all hours and businesses closing at different hours. Walmart, in contrast, is one business with set hours, and hires its own security guards.

Does anyone know if Chrissy's car was out of gas? If so, it does seem possible she died of CO2 poisoning. <modsnip - statement with no link to source>

What are the odds she was having a panic attack, or for some reason didn't want to go into work, so she parked there with the AC running while she sat comfortably in the passenger seat.

Her car would likely have run out of gas in about 35 hours, if she did that.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the coroner eventually rules that there was no foul play involved, and can't make a determinination on accidental death or suicide, then I hope that the coroner goes with the former, as there is such pain and stigma associated with the suicide of a loved one. For the sake of her children, I hope if no foul play is involved that it is ruled accidental death. I know there shouldn't be so much stigma attached to suicide, but there is, and best for the children if the cause of death is accidental, IMO. Also, suicide of a loved one can often cause self-blame of family members, even though most often the outcome was out of their control. In any event, time will tell, I guess.

If this is suicide it seems a strange way to do it to me. A not planned way. She just started a new job and received a fairly immediate promotion, she overslept after a holiday weekend, rushed out of the house and then parked in a busy parking lot to take her own life, how did she do that? I'm thinking probably an overdose but have not clue if that is the case. I suspect there will always be questions on how this happened, which is a very sad thing for her loved ones to have to deal with. JMO

And I wonder about waiting 6 months!!!! for toxicology report.

I'm really surprised that it takes soooo long.

But maybe there are not many professionals and there is a queue?
Labs are very back logged for testing. And murders, rapes, etc all take priority. This case probably isn't a priority since they think its suicide. Six months seems pretty extreme however.

I’m still not convinced about the law firm, why did managing partner Mark Sanchez go on and on about her personal qualities?! Seems more normal that he would’ve said we recently hired her but we can’t comment on a pending investigation or something?

He says She came to work in no other capacity except wanting to work and prepared to work?! What in the world, doesn’t it sound weird? Demonstrating basic workplace values? Attention to detail? Why were they talking like this IN THE MEDIA about someone they only knew a few days?? A missing person who might’ve met with foul play? And the much bigger question, why would she kill herself after working for them for a few days?

"We were impressed with her punctuality and hard work, and extended her a full-time offer of employment, actually, on Friday, July 1 — the weekend before she disappeared," Sanchez said Thursday when reached by phone. "She was elated and accepted a job offer on the spot."

Sanchez described Powell as "punctual and hardworking," and said she "showed herself to be bright and personable."

"She never came to work during that short time in any capacity other than wanting to work and being prepared for work. We wouldn't have offered her a full-time position if we weren't satisfied that she was demonstrating those basic workplace values that we expect, such as punctuality, hard work, attention to detail."

If this is suicide it seems a strange way to do it to me. A not planned way. She just started a new job and received a fairly immediate promotion, she overslept after a holiday weekend, rushed out of the house and then parked in a busy parking lot to take her own life, how did she do that? I'm thinking probably an overdose but have not clue if that is the case. I suspect there will always be questions on how this happened, which is a very sad thing for her loved ones to have to deal with. JMO
This hits a little closer to home for me than I'd like. A bit over a decade ago, I was dating a man whose brother committed suicide by driving himself to an area hospital parking lot. I won't go into all the details, but in his case, he used a gun and was found by a complete stranger while he was still alive. He didn't leave a note and we spent years asking all the "why"s only to be left empty-handed. In his case, he was engaging in a lot of behaviors to disconnect himself from friends and family and I've always suspected driving to somewhere public was part of that. I've learned with time you can just never rationalize the motives.

I don’t know if we will ever get the true story, nor are we entitled to it. We don’t know if someone from work contacted her that morning, instead of her contacting the office about her lateness. Was she flustered when she rushed around, was she depressed and had no intention of getting out of bed before that? Was the job and responsibility so overwhelming in her state of mind? Did she have a drug habit, and met someone or went to the lot to use before work? Was her death intentional or an accident? It is my belief that she was struggling, but I have no opinion beyond that.

I’m still not convinced about the law firm, why did managing partner Mark Sanchez go on and on about her personal qualities?! Seems more normal that he would’ve said we recently hired her but we can’t comment on a pending investigation or something?

He says She came to work in no other capacity except wanting to work and prepared to work?! What in the world, doesn’t it sound weird? Demonstrating basic workplace values? Attention to detail? Why were they talking like this IN THE MEDIA about someone they only knew a few days?? A missing person who might’ve met with foul play? And the much bigger question, why would she kill herself after working for them for a few days?

"We were impressed with her punctuality and hard work, and extended her a full-time offer of employment, actually, on Friday, July 1 — the weekend before she disappeared," Sanchez said Thursday when reached by phone. "She was elated and accepted a job offer on the spot."

Sanchez described Powell as "punctual and hardworking," and said she "showed herself to be bright and personable."

"She never came to work during that short time in any capacity other than wanting to work and being prepared for work. We wouldn't have offered her a full-time position if we weren't satisfied that she was demonstrating those basic workplace values that we expect, such as punctuality, hard work, attention to detail."
At the time, I thought it was a bit odd that they would be so quick to make a permanent job offer as most people ARE on best behavior the first few days or weeks… however, they may have been sending her a public message that she was not “in trouble” and they want to help. This may have been done with the thought that she was still out there somewhere, in crisis.

Also, waking up late and missing work may have been something that made her feel defeated and “the straw that broke the camels back”. She may have felt despair at one more thing going wrong.

I did think that maybe she would not rush out to head to work, only to detour at a public place if this is self harm. I wondered why she would just not tell them she would not be in that day or at all and then possibly make decisions on her next steps from there. There likely is no way to apply what we think or may do to others, as we don’t walk in their shoes.
It is possible, since she did head to work, that she did stop somewhere along the way, falling ill or have a medical emergency.

I hope her family feels comforted that many people felt concern and care for Christina, regardless.

*My opinions

I think the law firm made her permanent in order to keep her as their employee, as they were impressed by her work ethic, showing up on time for work, etc. Since the pandemic, it has been increasingly difficult for employers to find good employees, so when you find them, you don't want to lose them. I don't think it's more complicated than that.

But IMO, for whatever reason, her job performance, punctuality, showing up, etc. was not sustainable for the long term. And the long weekend, without the structure of the new job, may have also been a factor. Add in the stressful relationship around her youngest child and custody issues, her relationship with her ex, and expectations for a fun holiday weekend, etc. and it may have all just been overwhelming for her, particularly if she suffered from depression or other mental health conditions. I think her employers at the law firm genuinely cared for Chrissy, and they must be grieving as well. JMO.
I agree. New jobs, no matter how great can be very stressful. When you combine working with new people with varying personalities, learning new processes and having new responsibilities can be a lot. I imagine for someone who is already struggling (if that was the case) it may be just enough to push them into a very dark place.

This hits a little closer to home for me than I'd like. A bit over a decade ago, I was dating a man whose brother committed suicide by driving himself to an area hospital parking lot. I won't go into all the details, but in his case, he used a gun and was found by a complete stranger while he was still alive. He didn't leave a note and we spent years asking all the "why"s only to be left empty-handed. In his case, he was engaging in a lot of behaviors to disconnect himself from friends and family and I've always suspected driving to somewhere public was part of that. I've learned with time you can just never rationalize the motives.
We had a similar situation at the hospital that I worked for. In this case it was a woman (sadly a sister in law of a woman I worked with). She left a note and it included the reason why she chose the hospital. She didn't want a family member to find her. Maybe this was Chrissy's reason too. It's all speculation on my part of course.

At the time, I thought it was a bit odd that they would be so quick to make a permanent job offer as most people ARE on best behavior the first few days or weeks… however, they may have been sending her a public message that she was not “in trouble” and they want to help. This may have been done with the thought that she was still out there somewhere, in crisis.

Also, waking up late and missing work may have been something that made her feel defeated and “the straw that broke the camels back”. She may have felt despair at one more thing going wrong.

I did think that maybe she would not rush out to head to work, only to detour at a public place if this is self harm. I wondered why she would just not tell them she would not be in that day or at all and then possibly make decisions on her next steps from there. There likely is no way to apply what we think or may do to others, as we don’t walk in their shoes.
It is possible, since she did head to work, that she did stop somewhere along the way, falling ill or have a medical emergency.

I hope her family feels comforted that many people felt concern and care for Christina, regardless.

*My opinions

Bolded by me. I've had this happen and the feeling of despair is overwhelming. I can totally imagine somebody in that state harming themselves before they pull out of the nosedive.

I can't find the post now but someone theorized that she attempted suicide the night before and failed. Thats why she was late to work etc. And finished what she started in the parking lot down the road. This seems the most logical answer. So sad all around.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRANNYINVESTIGATES
Back