TX - Colton Turner, 2, Cedar Park, 11 Sept 2014 #1 *Arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will never understand why people that obviously hate their babies are so determined to keep custody of them. I just don't get it.

Interesting. I knew she had one sister with almost the same name as her dad--she took the photos of Colton. Where is the other sister?

The article didn't mention that her mom Talyeen/Tayleen passed away in February at the age of 43. She was no stranger to Williamson county courts either. I'm sure this will also be brought up by the defense.

Her dad and Michael have very similar records in WilCo.

I thought her sister was AC maybe I'm mistaken didn't know she had a sister with a similar name to her dads. I also thought she only had one sister.
This will definitely be brought up in her defense I believe her lawyer is Darla Davis who seems to have plenty of experience. Not sure if this is fact though I haven't seen msm links just posts on the Coltons Justice page so don't take it as Gospel.

ETA found the link
https://publiccourts.co.travis.tx.u...irstName=meagan%&AttyLastName=%&AttyFirstName

Interesting article bout MWs younger years.
http://m.keyetv.com/article?id=7142510

thank you, this seems to validate my early suspicions that meth or heroin abuse might play a role in this case:

And Bittner says she noticed a change in Work. "She was into big, hardcore drugs and hanging with the wrong people and I think that played a role in what happened," she says.

Read More at: http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/meagan-works-troubled-youth-20807.shtml

ETA That coupled with childhood exposure to drugs and violence remind me of the adage you live what you learn. Not mitigators for me and doubtful for a Texas jury either. Just noting interesting facts.

Cedar Park’s Chief of Police is questioning why photos of Colton Brandt Turner purporting to show bruises on the back and face of the 2-year-old were not turned over to police investigators before late last week and the discovery of the little boy’s body.

“I’m reasonably sure that out there somewhere is somebody who wishes they had gone to the police a little bit earlier with those photographs,” Mannix told KXAN on Monday.

Chief Mannix also said he learned from his detectives that CPS investigators had received four abuse-related complaints and had at least one open abuse case against Meagan Work, but state workers couldn’t find her.

Beginning last Wednesday and into early Friday, Cedar Park Police followed lead after lead and located Work within a few hour, allegedly living in her green pick-up truck outside a home, Mannix said. It’s not clear where Colton had been living before he was last seen this summer, but may have been “bouncing from place to place,” the chief speculated.

Mannix said CPS staff members have been in touch with Cedar Park police during the investigation. KXAN reached out to CPS staff who continue saying very little, other than they are “working with law enforcement.” Child abuse investigations are normally kept private in Texas, more so during a pending police investigation, a CPS spokesperson said.

http://kxan.com/2014/09/15/why-werent-colton-turner-photos-turned-over-sooner/

thank you, this seems to validate my early suspicions that meth or heroin abuse might play a role in this case:

And Bittner says she noticed a change in Work. "She was into big, hardcore drugs and hanging with the wrong people and I think that played a role in what happened," she says.

Read More at: http://www.keyetv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/meagan-works-troubled-youth-20807.shtml

ETA That coupled with childhood exposure to drugs and violence remind me of the adage you live what you learn. Not mitigators for me and doubtful for a Texas jury either. Just noting interesting facts.

Ah!! Thanks for sharing this. I knew I had read somewhere that she was into drugs. I just couldn't seem to find where I had read that so I never brought it up. Since it is out there now I was wondering how much drugs and her childhood are going to be put into her trial "defense". I know people have terrible childhoods and all but there has to come a point in life where you stop letting it control your thinking and your life. I really don't want to sound insensitive, but I just don't think a crappy childhood should be a defense for a crime so much later in life. It just doesn't fly with me. IMO, once you are an adult you can do many things to work out childhood issues instead of letting it control your life and your actions. Thanks again for finding this, I was starting to think I was seeing things!!

If I saw abuse in a child, my first thought would be to report it to the police, not call CPS.
I would think there would be a quicker response from LE.
Is that true (anyone with direct experience)?

Chief Mannix is very honest in his comments to the media, that's refreshing in this day and age!!

Cedar Park’s Chief of Police is questioning why photos of Colton Brandt Turner purporting to show bruises on the back and face of the 2-year-old were not turned over to police investigators before late last week and the discovery of the little boy’s body.

“I’m reasonably sure that out there somewhere is somebody who wishes they had gone to the police a little bit earlier with those photographs,” Mannix told KXAN on Monday.

Chief Mannix also said he learned from his detectives that CPS investigators had received four abuse-related complaints and had at least one open abuse case against Meagan Work, but state workers couldn’t find her.

Beginning last Wednesday and into early Friday, Cedar Park Police followed lead after lead and located Work within a few hour, allegedly living in her green pick-up truck outside a home, Mannix said. It’s not clear where Colton had been living before he was last seen this summer, but may have been “bouncing from place to place,” the chief speculated.

Mannix said CPS staff members have been in touch with Cedar Park police during the investigation. KXAN reached out to CPS staff who continue saying very little, other than they are “working with law enforcement.” Child abuse investigations are normally kept private in Texas, more so during a pending police investigation, a CPS spokesperson said.

http://kxan.com/2014/09/15/why-werent-colton-turner-photos-turned-over-sooner/

This makes me so damn angry! If CPS had not one, not two but FOUR complaints about how Colton was getting treated why wasn't more done to find this poor child? If they weren't able to locate her than they should of went STRAIGHT to the police. They were able to find her very quickly. Does anyone know for sure if it has been said that CPS saw those photos as part of the complaints? I am just curious if CPS did in fact see those photos, are they going to be held partly liable for his death? IF they did see those photos a LOT more should of been done on their part to locate Colton and his sorry excuse for a mother. Just makes me sick to think that he might have been saved if CPS would of tried harder to find them.....I am not saying that is the case, but if it turns out to be.....IMO there is going to be a LOT of angry people demanding some answers.

This is all JMO.

yes, knowing what we know about the shortcomings of the CPS system, I think I would phone police and CPS and see who showed up first. Sadly, most think calling in a report to CPS will result in action and we here know better?

One of the arrest warrants I think states that the family member who reported to CPS the suspected abuse provided that agency with the photos. Sometimes people do not realize that agencies are not running around sharing that information freely or volunteering it up, even to one another. My big question is were police informed at the time Colton was reported missing that the CPS reports had been made? Because the warrants suggest they were told that, so I would think that LE should have contacted CPS or known about those photos pretty quickly after Colton was reported missing?

Or maybe the person reporting Colton missing assumed the agencies would compare notes and trade info and that telling LE that CPS had been contacted about suspected abuse was enough for LE to gather the rest of the info?

Bottom line, MW and MT actively avoided letting those looking for Colton or worried about his welfare know where he was. They are to blame, not people who tried to wade through the bureaucracy and red tape and maybe did not do so very effectively IMO.

I thought her sister was AC maybe I'm mistaken didn't know she had a sister with a similar name to her dads. I also thought she only had one sister.
This will definitely be brought up in her defense I believe her lawyer is Darla Davis who seems to have plenty of experience. Not sure if this is fact though I haven't seen msm links just posts on the Coltons Justice page so don't take it as Gospel.

ETA found the link
https://publiccourts.co.travis.tx.u...irstName=meagan%&AttyLastName=%&AttyFirstName

Same sister (AC). A stands for her middle name. Maybe C is her married name?

yes, knowing what we know about the shortcomings of the CPS system, I think I would phone police and CPS and see who showed up first. Sadly, most think calling in a report to CPS will result in action and we here know better?

One of the arrest warrants I think states that the family member who reported to CPS the suspected abuse provided that agency with the photos. Sometimes people do not realize that agencies are not running around sharing that information freely or volunteering it up, even to one another. My big question is were police informed at the time Colton was reported missing that the CPS reports had been made? Because the warrants suggest they were told that, so I would think that LE should have contacted CPS or known about those photos pretty quickly after Colton was reported missing?

Or maybe the person reporting Colton missing assumed the agencies would compare notes and trade info and that telling LE that CPS had been contacted about suspected abuse was enough for LE to gather the rest of the info?

Bottom line, MW and MT actively avoided letting those looking for Colton or worried about his welfare know where he was. They are to blame, not people who tried to wade through the bureaucracy and red tape and maybe did not do so very effectively IMO.
LE were given the photos that were taken by the family members when Colton was reported missing by the friend. Bless her heart, when she was sent the pictures, she printed everything she had, sluethed a recent location for MW, and took it all to the police. Colton really did have people in his life that loved and cared for him. My heart breaks for them.

So it seems as if the timeline is family member takes photos confides concern to other family member. CPS report is made, photos provided to CPS, CPS "looks" for MW and Colton and does not "find" them and then sits there doing nothing. Eventually concerned friends and family members go to police to file missing child report and also provide the photos to them along with most recent location info because now no one has seen Colton in too long and are hearing stories about him "staying" with others.

My question is, WTH did CPS not contact police when they could not locate MW or Colton in order to investigate the abuse allegations?

Seems like those concerned tried to get help. Why did CPS not actually investigate why they could not find this child who was allegedly being abused?

Tired of this carpola. Abusive parents know that to avoid CPS investigation you move around alot. And they use the fact that they know CPS is not informing police or pursuing any farther as their means to get away with continuing the abuse and sometimes murdering their kids. its despicable. IMO CPS should have involved police much sooner than the family member eventually did when it became clear CPS was doing nothing.

I'm surprised at how much info is being released via the warrants. I don't remember seeing that much in cases except in Florida with their Sunshine Law.

Guess we know why the FB page went POOF. I'm sure FBI or whichever LE will be able to get the photo data on those photos on her page, and know when they were taken, and possibly where. I wonder if the motel/hotel room has had a warrant for it yet? If that's where little Colton did die, then it's a crime scene. Might not be anything to find after all these months, but then again, they aren't always cleaned that well, so who knows.

Can I just say that as a nurse, I've witnessed seizures by patients in a clinical setting many times. Even had a coworker have one while at work. However, when my aunt that lives with me had one, I freaked. No history of seizure, and BOOM. I called 911, right after turning her on her side so her airway would be open. Didn't worry that I hadn't cleaned the house. Only worried about getting my dogs contained so EMS could get in, because my aunt has one protective dachshund!!!

I can't imagine my child having one, and doing NOTHING! IMO, I don't think the child had a seizure, I think it was most likely involuntary spasms due to the brain trauma. And rather than face abuse charges, an investigation, and have the child placed in a safe home, they chose to face murder charges instead!! IMO, drugs are a factor in this case!!

CPS not being able to find her should have thrown up red flags, IMO! It would appear to me that she was in hiding because she knew others had seen the abuse at that point! Perhaps why he ended up being abused again. Blamed him for others knowing. To me, at that point LE could have been notified of the photos, the reports of abuse, and tracked her down that way. I don't know that it would have saved Colton's life though. I think the only way he would have been saved is if someone had called police to the home when they noticed the bruising/abuse right then, and there! BUT, if they were taken on July 4th during a party, and most likely alcohol and drugs involved, it would put one in a situation. At the least I would have kept the child, and filed the report the next day...but we don't know if people tried that. They may have, and such a scene was made that witnesses decided to call the next day, maybe hoping she wouldn't know who reported the abuse, and Colton would have been taken away that day. From the info released thus far *surprised names weren't removed first!!* it does appear that several knew, and did the right thing by reporting it. I hope they don't live with any guilt. They did what they could. They followed what protocol most would. They had photos of the evidence, and turned it into CPS. At that point, they had done their part, and it was up to CPS to follow through.

JMO!

So it seems as if the timeline is family member takes photos confides concern to other family member. CPS report is made, photos provided to CPS, CPS "looks" for MW and Colton and does not "find" them and then sits there doing nothing. Eventually concerned friends and family members go to police to file missing child report and also provide the photos to them along with most recent location info because now no one has seen Colton in too long and are hearing stories about him "staying" with others.

My question is, WTH did CPS not contact police when they could not locate MW or Colton in order to investigate the abuse allegations?

Seems like those concerned tried to get help. Why did CPS not actually investigate why they could not find this child who was allegedly being abused?

Tired of this carpola. Abusive parents know that to avoid CPS investigation you move around alot. And they use the fact that they know CPS is not informing police or pursuing any farther as their means to get away with continuing the abuse and sometimes murdering their kids. its despicable. IMO CPS should have involved police much sooner than the family member eventually did when it became clear CPS was doing nothing.

That is my questions too! I want to know why, if CPS was shown those photos, didn't they do something more to find them?!?! The police were able to find her in a matter of hours once the missing child report was taken. It just makes me sick. I guess blaming CPS is just not the answer. It was ALL MW. It is her fault that Colton is gone. Not CPS, not well meaning friends/family. She is the only one to blame. Yes, if CPS would of perhaps done more to check Colton's welfare he may have been spared. It just seems to take an awful lot to have children removed from an abusive home. It seems like it would be easier to walk on water than err on the side of caution and get these kids out of a questionable environment until a FULL, METICULOUS investigation is completed. How many children would still be alive if CPS operated this way? Maybe this is something that needs to change. If there is strong evidence, and most certainly photographic evidence of abuse going on, REMOVE them until it is determined what is going on. I suppose I am living in a dream world hoping that something like this would ever happen. It's just so sad!

I don't know what it takes to get CPS or LE to take a case serious. I personally know that I reported a small child be smacked in the face. I called 911 because I didn't know CPS's number, and I wanted someone to come NOW and see the red handmark on his little face. You know what happened??? LE showed up, and questioned the child WITH THE DAD PRESENT! The same Dad that had just smacked him!!!! The child was honest, and told LE what happened. A report was written, and LE hopped into his vehicle and left the child there!!! I was there, and witnessed the entire thing. LE told me he was calling CPS, but he didn't have authority to take the child. I told him he needed to stay until CPS arrived then!! His response?? Well it might be days before CPS can get here!!! In fact, it was days, and CPS let them know they were coming before they arrived as well!!! NOTHING was done to protect the child! NOTHING! If I had known they were going to do nothing, I would have faced a kidnapping charge, but I would have brought the child home with me. Wanna know what else? The child's Grandmother was there, witnessed the same as I did, and she did NOTHING except to tell the child to stop crying so he wouldn't get a spanking!!! LIVID to this day!!!

In another instance, I called both LE and CPS because a small 2 yr old child wandered to the end of the half mile driveway, and was at a main road. Lucky for the child and parents that a kind man saw the child, and drove the child back to the house! Again, NOTHING was done!! Wasn't even investigated!!! I called back and reported the child was being left home alone, NOTHING was done!!!

Another situation involved two children being sexually abused by their Dad. CPS did come for that case, and it's still an open case, though no charges have ever been placed against the Dad because the children are too young to testify against him, and the physical evidence wasn't strong enough for the DA to press charges. Dad is allowed supervised visits now, after a year of no communication about the children at all. But to give credit, CPS does believe the children, the child therapist *can't think of her title* believe the children, as does the guardian ad lib. The judge does NOT. He stated he felt the children were coached. Umm...consider the oldest child who was 3 at the time told ME what was going on, and used terms that a 3yr old wouldn't know unless something was going on...then I know for certain I did not coach the children at all!! I did write down quotes of what was told to me, and documented like a nurses note for a chart, and ridiculed by the judge for doing that, with him stating he had never had a case where that was done before. Well, as a nurse (though disabled now) I felt it was the proper way to document the incident, with a date, time, and my signature. In any other case that would have held up as evidence!!!

In another incident, it was concern about the mental health of an individual who was living in a house like a hoarder's episode, 10 dogs inside that none were house trained, no efforts to clean the floors of dog urine/feces, no efforts to take the trash to the dump, no running water, no working stove, washing machine, etc. I tried reporting to adult services, they didn't even go investigate, so I called the health dept with the concerns, called animal control with the concerns, and called police for a wellfare check. NOTHING was done by any of the agencies!!! To this day, the lady is STILL living in those conditions, however, I did report anonymously because she is a family member, and I don't want my name on the papers should they ever be released! Her brothers know, nieces, nephews, cousins, and yet nothing is done!!! I've personally been to her home numerous times and cleaned the home, painted the walls, and the last time we took 10 truck loads of TRASH BAGS to the dump!!! Yet within 3 months, back to the same conditions, and I can't physically keep doing it. I've taken her to the doctors for medication for depression, yet she tells the doc she isn't depressed!

Sorry so long winded, just brings back so many memories of where I feel my hands are tied, and I've done all I can do without jeopardizing my own health. I have enough trying to keep my own housework done now, and I just can't do anymore.

That is just awful. It is so frustrating to hear all of these instances where CPS either did nothing or was slow moving. It just seems to me that CPS doesn't take the children who really need the help. It is just so upsetting. I wonder how many people just don't get involved because they feel nothing will be done anyways? It is sad that you reported that to the police, they came and talked to this child while the father stood there looking on. Poor kid was probably afraid to say anything more than what happened. To think this child's grandmother was telling this child to stop crying so he didn't get in trouble? I know my kids are pretty well grown passed the crying stage, but kids cry. That is what they do. I suppose I could go on and on. It doesn't help. It doesn't change anything. What can I do to make sure CPS in my area isn't so lacking like the one that seemed to fail Colton? What do we do?

While BP may not have anything to do with Colton's death, his previous prison sentence for beating a mentally challenged child is beyond despicable.

Of course it is beyond despicable but it has no bearing whatsoever on Colton's death. His father reported the abuse of Colton to authorities.

I genuinely feel sorry for BP and his family. I'm not in any way excusing the horrific crime that he committed but he didn't deserve this. He apparently tried to convince Bertram PD to look for his son but they didn't. When he got those photographs he immediately jumped into action.

http://www.examiner.com/article/two-year-old-missing-from-cedar-park-mother-last-seen-him-july

MW convinced everyone that Colton was alive and well. She managed to disappear completely for a month after Colton died. People were looking for her and contacting her via FB because she claimed she had no phone access but she wouldn't say where she was.

I believe that MW is an accomplished and convincing liar, at least to her friends. She is an evil woman.

Compare BP and his family's reaction to this to Tania Grogan's reaction. They have kept a dignified silence and are grieving privately, instead of the theatrical nonesence that TG is pulling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia